Is Audyssey taking us for a ride ?

Amarendra

Hi

I was doing some measurements today of my FL, FR and C. Ran in- built test tones of the AVR- Denon 2500H. Measurements were done by a calibrated UMIK 1 connected to my laptop. Had closed all doors and windows and even kept the AC off to avoid interference. The flat Audyssey curves are no where close to ideal. I remember doing calibration of the same speakers in stereo mode with minidspHD and the calibration used to produce much flatter curves. Will post that curve as well later. Blue is center, Brown is Left and Green is Right. The dip in mid to upper mid in center channel is horrendous. Happy to have any inputs.
Cheers
Center AVR.PNGLeft AVR.PNGRight Audyssey AVR.PNG

Audyssey doesn't support any external mics other than their own,they have clearly mentioned that on their FAQ page

Assuming you are good at taking measurement using REW and all parameters of setup are followed .. the curves are way more off than what they are normally for front stage.

Hi

I was doing some measurements today of my FL, FR and C. Ran in- built test tones of the AVR- Denon 2500H. Measurements were done by a calibrated UMIK 1 connected to my laptop. Had closed all doors and windows and even kept the AC off to avoid interference. The flat Audyssey curves are no where close to ideal. I remember doing calibration of the same speakers in stereo mode with minidspHD and the calibration used to produce much flatter curves. Will post that curve as well later. Blue is center, Brown is Left and Green is Right. The dip in mid to upper mid in center channel is horrendous. Happy to have any inputs.
Cheers
View attachment 72412View attachment 72413View attachment 72414
All of the measurements are horrendous, not just the centre. There's something really wrong with your measurements.

Looks like your high frequencies are being completely rolled off and/or there's a problem with the mic, the manner/method of measuring etc. on similar lines

What are the measurements like without EQ/Audyssey? Posting that could potentially help solve this rather confounding mystery.

All of the measurements are horrendous, not just the centre. There's something really wrong with your measurements.

Looks like your high frequencies are being completely rolled off and/or there's a problem with the mic, the manner/method of measuring etc. on similar lines

What are the measurements like without EQ/Audyssey? Posting that could potentially help solve this rather confounding mystery.
While measuring for Audyssey, I had held the Denon mic vertically (the way its meant to be) and while measuring the response with REW, I had held the mic (UMIK) facing the speaker (pointing at the speaker). Could this be the reason ?

While measuring for Audyssey, I had held the Denon mic vertically (the way its meant to be) and while measuring the response with REW, I had held the mic (UMIK) facing the speaker (pointing at the speaker). Could this be the reason ?
Unlikely that this is the reason. You've placed the mic correctly.

Post your measurements without Audyssey applied and post it.

Through the process of elimination, it'll help us narrow it down to whether the problem is (i) with the calibration applied, or (ii) with the measurement gear (U-mik or the Audyssey Mic)

Last edited:
Hi

Cheers
View attachment 72412View attachment 72413View attachment 72414
Others have already pointed out that these curves are VERY far from what is expected. There are both low frequency and high frequency problems with a 25 dB peak around 750 Hz in all channels. It is hard to get that much of a peak--I have never seen one and it looks symmetrical like a parametric peak is involved. 2. If you take 100 Hz – 400 Hz as reference level then the hf rolloff is 22 dB at 8 kHz. It's simply hard to believe--this isn't a matter of perpendicular vs. grazing incidence on measurement microphones. Is there a hugely long cable involved? Is the receiving equipment set to flat?

I agree with others that your system needs to be measured with room eq on and off. The amount of error shown is more than the equalization min/max set for headroom and noise concerns. As I recall that's ±12 dB. Audyssey eq was developed originally over a period of two years with the developer's code run vs. my room tuning with conventional means, blind, with me as a listener. Only when Audyssey could beat hand tuning was it released, and that was in the early '00's. There's been developments since as DSP horsepower grew especially in low-frequency resolution.

When you get close another thing to consider is averaging your measurements at the same locations as the Audyssey mic--room averaging makes considerable improvement over single-point. I used to use an absolute minimum of two locations, one for each ear, when I was doing certain experiments, but for an a/b between your measurement method and Audyssey tuning you have to use the same mic locations. This even fools big-time experimenters with big reputations; they get shot down at AES for ignoring such simple but important things.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back