Confessions of an Audio (and HFV) addict

sam.666

Hello all,

Fair warning - I write long posts!:D

I had stumbled upon this forum some months back, when I was on the lookout for some advice to choose the right TV to buy. Based on a lot of opinions here, added to my own observations, I picked the Panasonic P42ST30 :yahoo: plasma as my video companion. So thanks to all the folks that posted on the same here.

But, that was the easy part - as I would soon discover that my eyes are much easier to please than my ears! Temporarily, I "borrowed" (read stole :lol:) my father's TV room LG HTIB 5.1 DVD setup for audio duties with the new TV "for a few days". He does have an alternative stereo, so no worries for now.

This is a big deal, as I come from a family that lives music. No matter where any one of us is, we find a way to listen to it, whether at work, or during the ritualistic 10 minutes 'on the john' each morning. Music is everywhere! We all have our respective music playing in the bedrooms till we fall asleep.

Nearly each room of our house has at least one source of music. We are one of those families that decides what car to buy based on 3 major things, one of which is how good the car's ICE sounds.

Skipping back to the present, the "borrowing" led to an entirely new issue... I realized that I was just not happy with what those tiny LG satellites were calling "audio" and throwing at me and I noticed that most of the mid range was missing and all the subwoofer did was boom! I never used to think so much about home audio as I used to rely on one of my three trusted pairs of head/ear phones for music listening.

I did audition gear at some hi-fi dealers in my city, but came away far less impressed than I thought I would be as the prices were not very close to those mentioned here.

Thats when I joined and started looking through this forum, and sure enough I found some enlightenment. Although this introduction comes a trifle later than my joining date, I just thought it better to do so anyway, as I am now on the hunt for possibly two new setups, and yes I will post on the respective threads in (more) detail.

The budgets remain modest (read best VFM possible), but hopefully I shall be able to source Magnepan MMG speakers through a cousin coming in from Canada in a couple of months. These would serve as aux speakers to the TV (secondary) but primarily for all the music I listen to. I'm not genre-specific, my favourite band is Iron Maiden, while Pink Floyd enjoys the second spot. The third spot is a tie between AR Rahman and Hans Zimmer who have never disappointed with any of their OST compositions.

Apart from these, I listen to all sorts of music including classic rock, metal, instrumental, electronic, some hip-hop, some Bollywood and have a special spot for seductive female vocals.

This leaves space for one amplifier (budget 30,000 tops) for the MMGs, and possibly a small non-ported sub at a later time (rooms is 18x12 feet); and another Indian-made setup for a 12x15 room (amp+speakers - budget 25,000 and some Desh Prem). PS - I discovered about many of the Indian Hi-fi, mid-fi brands only after I joined the forum!

I'm in no hurry for this second setup. Meanwhile, am also on the lookout to build some boxes for my Earthquake 6x9 three-way co-axials for home use, just for kicks.

To be fair, I'm not keen on a surround setup as my years (few as they may be) and ears (open as they are) have made me for more accepting of stereo sound than the former.

Most of all, I'm glad to be here and thank everyone for sharing. These days, HFV has eclipsed even the number of times I check on forums relating automobiles - my primary passion.

So there, now all of you know a fair bit about me:rolleyes: ... Thanks for reading (phew).

Another Metal 'n Maiden Head :clapping:

UP THE IRONS!!!!

Have you tried Audio Engine A5+ and S8? This will give you excellent result for the money.

Thanks for the suggestion koushik.

No, I have not tried/auditioned that setup. Also, I suppose you have made that suggestion for the second (Indian-made) setup. For reasons only my sense of belonging to this fair democracy can justify, I wish for the second setup to have Indian components. And Im very excited to know that some awesome gear is made and sold in our country. So for now, that one condition holds.

But if I were looking in the international direction for the setup, I would much rather prefer the Pioneer FS51 LRs. I have heard them and they are incredible VFM. From what I've seen, the Pioneers as well as Audioengines enjoy similar popularity on this forum.

If you have auditioned both, would you be kind enough to share a comparative impression?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back