confused, need help regarding choosing between AVR & stereo receiver

sidhu1990

Hi,
I need some help here. I am an avid listener of music, till now I have to satisfy myself with usual compact hifi systems available in the market. Now I have decided to go for better one, but it should fit into my budget. I chose Harman kardon HK3490 as stereo receiver and 2 floor standing speakers. I found JBL studio 190 in the same website. I also love movies. Now confusion arises. I have thought of ONKYO TX-SR608 as avr. I have few questions,
1. Can ONKYO TX-SR608 will sound like HK3490 while playing music? If so, can floor standing speakers ( which will be used while playing music) work as front left & rt channel of 5.1 surround system? Am I compromising sound quality in any one of them?
2. TX-SR608 is a 7.1 AVR. If I use it as 5.1, will there be any loss of sounds in those two unused channels?
3. If I have to buy both stereo & AV receivers , What will be good home theatre speaker package within Rs 30000? But it would be better if they are smaller in size so that I can hook them up on the wall and I can use the floor space for my floor standing speakers of my stereo receiver.
4. If onkyo tx-sr608 can satisfy both audio & video listening pleasures, what should my speaker configuration ? as in that case front channels will be used for playing music.
Many many thanks in advance. Waiting for your kind advice.

Hi,
I need some help here. I am an avid listener of music, till now I have to satisfy myself with usual compact hifi systems available in the market. Now I have decided to go for better one, but it should fit into my budget. I chose Harman kardon HK3490 as stereo receiver and 2 floor standing speakers. I found JBL studio 190 in the same website. I also love movies. Now confusion arises. I have thought of ONKYO TX-SR608 as avr. I have few questions,
1. Can ONKYO TX-SR608 will sound like HK3490 while playing music? If so, can floor standing speakers ( which will be used while playing music) work as front left & rt channel of 5.1 surround system? Am I compromising sound quality in any one of them?
2. TX-SR608 is a 7.1 AVR. If I use it as 5.1, will there be any loss of sounds in those two unused channels?
3. If I have to buy both stereo & AV receivers , What will be good home theatre speaker package within Rs 30000? But it would be better if they are smaller in size so that I can hook them up on the wall and I can use the floor space for my floor standing speakers of my stereo receiver.
4. If onkyo tx-sr608 can satisfy both audio & video listening pleasures, what should my speaker configuration ? as in that case front channels will be used for playing music.
Many many thanks in advance. Waiting for your kind advice.

Few Inputs...

1. Yes you can use FS as Front Left and Right Channels... Not sure whether they'll sound like HK3490 or not.
2. You can use it as 5.1, no loss of sound. Need to configure your AVR. It'll mix the sound from these 2 unused channels to other channel.

Your questions are confusing but if you really want to enjoy your music seriously then buy yourself a dedicated integrated amp based setup with matching Floorstanders or Bookshelf speakers and for movies you can buy an AVR based setup. If you go with a AVR based setup like Onkyo then you will have to compromise on the musicality but for movies they are great. Now its upto you to decide what you love most. So if music is your priority then you should buy yourself a 2 channel setup with an Integrated amp at its heart which will also do little justice to movies and vice versa with an AVR based setup.

Last edited:
hi
have you already purchased any of the units. or are you still in the process. there are a lot of other brands out there which you can look at apart from hk and jbl

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back