Confused - stereo amplifier or A/V Receiver

There are multiple advantages to going with an A/V receiver, even for a 2-speaker set-up.

One of the most important features on modern AVRs is room correction, which allows you to hear less of your room, but more of your speakers, and more of what is in the recording itself. Every room is an equalizer, and a simple stereo amp has no provision to compensate for that.

In the future, if you do decide to add an a subwoofer to reproduce the bottom octave that your Carnivals cannot, you'll really appreciate the bass management feature built into receivers. It will allow you to dial in just the right crossover to get the best blend between your speakers and sub.

Also in the future, if you decide to get a small pair of surrounds (they make more of a difference with music than you'd expect), then you're prepared. The reciever will automatically scale the number of channels in the source material (2.0, 5.1, 7.1) to the number of speakers in your set-up (2, 4, 2+sub, 4+sub).

And even if you don't eventually add surrounds, many receivers will allow you to configure a couple of the unused amplifier channels for bi-amping. If you look at the back of your Carnivals, you'll see connections for that. (You can even configure unused amp channels for a second zone: computer desk, patio, balcony, etc.)

A/V receivers are also starting to expand connectivity, from the old analogue and digital connections to newer USB and network connections. HDMI connections will allow you to transmit hi-rez lossless audio from your Sony BD player.

That's a lot to give up if you decide get a stereo amp, especially if that decision is based on the audiophile belief that a separate amp will somehow sound better because it is... well, separate.

Ok, I am on the verge of getting the stereo system setup. Have purchased an amp - still to receive it from a friend who had it picked up for me. Can't wait to plug in and get lost in music.

Updates coming soon! :yahoo:

Ok, I am on the verge of getting the stereo system setup. Have purchased an amp - still to receive it from a friend who had it picked up for me. Can't wait to plug in and get lost in music.

Updates coming soon! :yahoo:

I am just catching up on this post. I think you will be happy with an AVR or stereo amp at the price point you are looking. Also remember to get decent cables such as from Blue Jeans for the connections.

Ok, here is the update!

I bought the amp that Vinod from this forum had put up for sale. Though I paid for it a few days back, I was having trouble arranging for the delivery of the amp as Vinod was quite rightly, a little anxious about sending it through courier. Luckily, a friend of mine was visiting Chennai and offered to bring it back for me. Got it yesterday and I have hooked it up to my current source - the Sony BluRay player and my few weeks old Mordaunt-Short Carnival 6 speakers.

To say it simply - I am happy! I think the MS speakers and the CA amp go really well and I loved listening to music from CDs that I have. But what really blew me away was music video rips that I listened to - especially the BluRay rip of Leonard Cohen's Songs from the Road. Wow, heaven!

Well, I would have also picked up the CD player from Vinod but I am looking at a CD changer - atleast 5 discs - and that will only be a few months down the line.

Also, am being a little cheeky - notice the cables that I am using. Did a LOT of research for those! :eek:hyeah:

Now that you like the setup just sit back and enjoy the music. Thats what this hobby is all about. Listen to the music not the tweaks!!

Great, All the best, time to pop the bubbly and enjoy!!

Ok, here is the update!

I bought the amp that Vinod from this forum had put up for sale. Though I paid for it a few days back, I was having trouble arranging for the delivery of the amp as Vinod was quite rightly, a little anxious about sending it through courier. Luckily, a friend of mine was visiting Chennai and offered to bring it back for me. Got it yesterday and I have hooked it up to my current source - the Sony BluRay player and my few weeks old Mordaunt-Short Carnival 6 speakers.

To say it simply - I am happy! I think the MS speakers and the CA amp go really well and I loved listening to music from CDs that I have. But what really blew me away was music video rips that I listened to - especially the BluRay rip of Leonard Cohen's Songs from the Road. Wow, heaven!

Well, I would have also picked up the CD player from Vinod but I am looking at a CD changer - atleast 5 discs - and that will only be a few months down the line.

Also, am being a little cheeky - notice the cables that I am using. Did a LOT of research for those! :eek:hyeah:

Thanks guys - single malt sip with some music! :yahoo:

Single Malt is like schooling: RED :eek: => BLACK :) => GREEN :D => GOLD :eek:hyeah: => BLUE :licklips: => GOD :lol:

As for cables, have you tried braided CAT5e cables with MS Carnival 6 towers?

Single Malt is like schooling: RED :eek: => BLACK :) => GREEN :D => GOLD :eek:hyeah: => BLUE :licklips: => GOD :lol:

As for cables, have you tried braided CAT5e cables with MS Carnival 6 towers?

Hahaha, yeah thats some stuff that should be taught in schools. But well, guess with the "kids these days"...

Nice, someone noticed the cables I use! Nope, haven't tried CAT5 cables - next project. Will surely give it a try once I can drag myself away from the system.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back