Confused Where To Begin From: DAC, Amplifier, Receivers and So on?

If you do not own a PC already, or is planning to buy a dedicated one for music streaming, I suggest you to invest the money in a dedicated streamer. Even budget streamers like the bluesound node 2 beats a mac mini in my experience.

In the case of AVR, the output of most mid-level devices is easily beaten by stereo amplifiers. Having said that, I use my Marantz Av7702mk2 AVP as a DAC and preamp to my diy active speakers. I find that the set up is better than using a dedicated dac and preamp in the chain.

Last edited:
One other option for DAC that you consider is Raspberry PI based DAC. You could attach all your FLAC files to a storage attached to Ras Pi. Load Volumio and you could play your song from PC or phone as long as you are in same wi-fi network. Connect a power bank to Ras Pi and you get excellent clean output.

Like all others were mentioning, start with a really good stereo amp, that is the key.

Thank you, everyone!
@haripkv @raghupb @milestoneseeker
@MaSh @sandeepmohan @tusharshukla1991 @drkrack
@elangoas @rajeshmehendiratta @bornfi
@adhingra

One thing is pretty clear that I should add DAC later in the process. (I was just worried that if I play from my phone the quality shall not be highly compromised)

I think my confusion is largely cleared--- "Good Speakers and Good Amp" as of now.
Everything else can be added later on.
But @bornfi suggestion has confused me does good DAC takes precedence over Amp?

I understand that AVR is a no-no for music but I just asked because I was thinking to invest good in speakers and relatively less amount in something to drive them. WHY? Because I plan to invest in a good Amp later on. And I can dump the AVR later at folks place for them to use it as a home theatre. Only in that vein, I was considering an AVR just good enough to sound not bad.
Any suggestion on that if buying new? ( I will definitely consider buying used AVR and up the budget for my speakers)
Also though I have listened to only a few floor standers; Wharfedale did attract me with their sound. Any other suggestions in the same range.
You have it right.
Get a pair of speakers that sound good to your ears and match it with a reasonable integrated amp.
That is all you will need for music listening.
A simple BT dongle or similar can get you streaming music too.
DACs are there in almost every modern equipment.
Just use one of your existing equipment as source (media player or TV or phone).
Keep it simple and keep it within budget.
Cheers,
Raghu

You can just buy an amp and speaker combination that sounds good to you. Then let the speakers open up. The initial days are so exciting as you feel the small differences in sound quality every day as the speakers get burned in. One of these days, they sound worse than the previous day and one of these days they sound like the best ones you've ever listened to. The process is so enjoyable and it gets you back to rediscover your favourite music and pick up sounds that you had missed earlier. You can actually romanticize the hell out of this period.

So I'd suggest, just get your stereo setup. Let it open up. And while it does, save up to buy your Turntable or DAC. That's a good low budget strategy in my opinion. I'm saving up for a Rega turn table as of now while my speakers are still getting burned in!

Hope you find your perfect setup and the onward musical nirvana!

Cheers!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back