confusion about video connections

grunthos

Sorry for the noob question, but what is the best way to connect a computer to a oldish tv that has only composite input ?
I have a lot of divx files that I normally run on my laptop - and I have been thinking of connecting it to my tv. The laptop only has a vga and a svideo port. From what I can find on the internet, vga is not really an option but svideo might be a possibility. However, would the picture quality be worth it or should I stick to my laptop ?

If (big IF) its feasible, can I set up a HTPC and connect it directly to my tv without a reciever ?? Economy blues means I can either setup an HTPC or buy a good receiver - cant do both - and I am more interested in the former now. I was going to set it up on a 780G motherboard (without a video card since I am not doing HD) as has been recommendation on this forum
Or do I HAVE to upgrade my tv first ?

hi grunthos!
if your tv has only a composite input, then you wont get the same quality picture as you see in your laptop. you may use an s-video to composite cable for this purpose.
and about the htpc thing, how can you set up your home theatre without a receiver? ofcourse you can do it if only you plan to use multimedia speakers like creative etc. otherwise you will need a receiver to connect to your speakers.

Another option is to buy a USB based DVD player like the Oppo, Panasonic etc. that can also provide you upscaling abilities while you play the Divx files. This may be less complex and cheaper than building a HTPC just for this. Comes in automatically with HDMI/Component connnections for future connections as well as composite for now.

Another option is to buy a USB based DVD player like the Oppo, Panasonic etc. that can also provide you upscaling abilities while you play the Divx files. This may be less complex and cheaper than building a HTPC just for this. Comes in automatically with HDMI/Component connnections for future connections as well as composite for now.

Hey thanks for that idea :) - wondering why I didnt think about it first ....
Will get a dvd player with a USB port

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back