Connect STB with HT without using Audio Splitter. (To Get Dolby Audio)

Baba Yaga

Hi I am trying to get STB Dolby audio to HT with using Audio Splitter .

TV (Normal/Basic Model)
STB (Setup Box)
HT (Home Theater)

TV Ports:
- 2 * HDMI (Non ARC)
- Optical/SPDIF
- RCA

STB Ports:
- HDMI
- RCA

HT Ports:
- Optical/SPDIF
- RCA

Currently I am connecting my STB->TV with HDMI cable, As I have an HT I want to connect my STB with HT to get Dolby Audio while watching dolby enabled channels, But as I mentioned above my HT don't have an HDMI port, I could connect STB->HT with RCA cables but it only gives up converted audio (Pro Logic).

So to get Dolby Audio from STB to HT I am planning to connect following way STB->TV with HDMI cable and TV->HT with Optical cable.
Please suggest will this method works or not.

Note: Few suggested not go with HDMI To HDMI+AUDIO Splitter as it result loss of quality and also Price concerns , So before buying Optical cable I wanted to know will the above method works or not.

This should work, what is your HT setup ?
Usually they HDMI inputs unless it is a very old equipment that you are using.

Welcome to the forum. What's your location in India?

Did you try connecting the set top box via hdmi to you tv and to your home theatre via optical?

MaSh

Did you try connecting the set top box via hdmi to you tv and to your home theatre via optical?

Mash Thanks for the reply.... I wanted to know whether this method works or not connecting Tv to HT with with optical , so that I could buy the cable

Welcome to the forum. What's your location in India?

MaSh
Right now connected STB to TV with HDMI I am hearing sound through TV only , But If I connect TV SPDIF to HT SPDIF will STB's audio pass from TV to HT or not.. Please suggest

Right now connected STB to TV with HDMI I am hearing sound through TV only , But If I connect TV SPDIF to HT SPDIF will STB's audio pass from TV to HT or not.. Please suggest
that indeed is the right way to do it - yes, it will work
(you may need to set tv audio out in tv settings to spdif)

Yes the tv should pass on the audio to your home theatre. However, not every tv model passes on multi channel. So check your tv specs. Instead, try connecting home theatre directly with stb via optical. Set Dolby digital over spidf in your set top box. This is how I use my Airtel stb with a dedicated TV 2 1 setup.

MaSh

Mine is Videocond2h latest model STB only comes with HDMI that's the problem.
Oh then you have only two options.
1. Optical from tv to ht
2. HDMI audio extractor. HDMI input. Hdmi output to tv and optical output to home theatre.

MaSh

Oh then you have only two options.
1. Optical from tv to ht
2. HDMI audio extractor. HDMI input. Hdmi output to tv and optical output to home theatre.

MaSh

Thanks Mash
I have bought optical cable and connected.

STB Audio Settings: Dolby Digital ( have Dolby Digital,Stereo PCM ).
TV Settings : SPDIF OUT Set to AUTO ( only have two options for my TV Auto and PCM ).

STB->TV (HDMI) Then TV -> HT (Optical) and now audio passing to HT from TV, But I am facing one more issue, which is audio delay only for Dolby Channels when I enabled dolby Digital in STB, Delay is like First picture is coming then Audio ( Ex: Gun was shot , but audio coming after 2 sec like that). I cant even adjust AV Sync settings because these adjustments starts from 0 to 300 ( which will increase delay much higher), but in my issue I need in negative value like - 10 or -20 , but nothing like is present.
Is there anything you could suggest for this.

Note: If I enable PCM it works fine, But my intention is get Dolby Audio from STB as it encoded.

Yes use pcm. Delay is happening as tv displays as it gets, however the audio needs to reach the ht for decoding and processing. Better to use pcm till you can figure out another solution.

MaSh

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back