Connect Yamaha subwoofer NS-SW050 to Yamaha R-S202

Saket

Dear FMs,

I have a simple but very warm and nice sounding set up of Yamaha R-S202 paired with Polk T-50 floorstanders.
I was contemplating to add an active sub-woofer Yamaha NS-SW050. However, I see that the Yamaha amp doesn't have a sub out. It has speakers out (of course) and line out while the sub woofer seems to have only one RCA input.

How do I get to connect these two- or are they a total mismatch in these terms?

Thanks in anticipation of response.

Dear FMs,

I have a simple but very warm and nice sounding set up of Yamaha R-S202 paired with Polk T-50 floorstanders.
I was contemplating to add an active sub-woofer Yamaha NS-SW050. However, I see that the Yamaha amp doesn't have a sub out. It has speakers out (of course) and line out while the sub woofer seems to have only one RCA input.

How do I get to connect these two- or are they a total mismatch in these terms?

Thanks in anticipation of response.
You just need a high level to low level impedance converter. Then 2 additional wires from the receiver and give input to the converter along with the speakers. The converter will convert speaker level to RCA output which can be connected to the subwoofer. Easy it is. You can get the converter for 100 bucks from a car accessories shop. If they ask for a lot more message me I will courier the converter to you.

You just need a high level to low level impedance converter. Then 2 additional wires from the receiver and give input to the converter along with the speakers. The converter will convert speaker level to RCA output which can be connected to the subwoofer. Easy it is. You can get the converter for 100 bucks from a car accessories shop. If they ask for a lot more message me I will courier the converter to you.
Thank you for the reply. I will check any car accessory shop today as suggested. Thanks!
Just needed clarity over one point that will the subwoofer volume change with increase in amp's master volume or the converter's output is fixed?

Edit: Just checked a couple of shops near my office now. One JBL branded stuff, they were offering for Rs 850/- and 2 shops showed me almost identical plug shaped converters. One quoted Rs. 450 and one quoted Rs 250/- I haven't bought it as of now.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I will check any car accessory shop today as suggested. Thanks!
Just needed clarity over one point that will the subwoofer volume change with increase in amp's master volume or the converter's output is fixed?

Edit: Just checked a couple of shops near my office now. One JBL branded stuff, they were offering for Rs 850/- and 2 shops showed me almost identical plug shaped converters. One quoted Rs. 450 and one quoted Rs 250/- I haven't bought it as of now.
I can courier it to you for 150 including shipping. Will post a pic for you soon.

And yes, the subwoofer volume will increase and decrease as per the master volume of your amplifier.

This needs additional power. How do you plan to supply it?

I was talking about something like this https://amzn.to/3QJkOMX
Thanks Ketan, I got the TD-22 from Amazon. You are partially right. This unit needs power but only if you are connecting a power amp after this unit. In that case, the power is routed through this unit to the amp only when it gets speaker line input. But since I just wanted the conversion from speaker to line level, it is working perfectly without any power input. So, yes, problem is solved with this unit. Now I need to reduce some boomy bass from the subwoofer. This yamaha unit doesn't have cut-off frequency pot setting.

Thanks for the heads up and the offer to ship. :)

Regards,
Saket

Thanks Ketan, I got the TD-22 from Amazon. You are partially right. This unit needs power but only if you are connecting a power amp after this unit. In that case, the power is routed through this unit to the amp only when it gets speaker line input. But since I just wanted the conversion from speaker to line level, it is working perfectly without any power input. So, yes, problem is solved with this unit. Now I need to reduce some boomy bass from the subwoofer. This yamaha unit doesn't have cut-off frequency pot setting.

Thanks for the heads up and the offer to ship. :)

Regards,
Saket
Great to know that you got the solution. For the boomy bass only viable solution is to place the subwoofer at different locations and hit and try.
There are more option but will require tinkering with the sub amplifier module which I would not recommend.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back