Connecting a Record Player

Hi Friends,
Please give me a suggestion regarding this issue.
Today I tried to connect my earlier TT, a Philips Hi-Q International, to my Sonodyne SIA320 amp. I took the output from the speaker out of the TT ( the player has its own inbuilt amp) and connected it to the LINE IN of my Sonodyne.
The Result:
1. Distorted sound.
2. Muddy Hi frequency
3. No Bass.
4. Vocals were loud.
Overall it was a mere waste of time and effort. Tried different volume settings on the amp of the TT. But all in vain.
So please suggest me if there is a way to get a decent sound output from the above setup.
My main target is to listen to my records which are a bit noisy or scratchy, mostly EP(s) on this TT leaving aside mt AT LP 120.
The TT uses a ceramic cartridge (GP215).
Also if anyone has an original cartridge in stock and want to part with, please drop me a message or PM.
thanks,
Amitava

Hi Friends,
Please give me a suggestion regarding this issue.
Today I tried to connect my earlier TT, a Philips Hi-Q International, to my Sonodyne SIA320 amp. I took the output from the speaker out of the TT ( the player has its own inbuilt amp) and connected it to the LINE IN of my Sonodyne.
The Result:
1. Distorted sound.
2. Muddy Hi frequency
3. No Bass.
4. Vocals were loud.
Overall it was a mere waste of time and effort. Tried different volume settings on the amp of the TT. But all in vain.
So please suggest me if there is a way to get a decent sound output from the above setup.
My main target is to listen to my records which are a bit noisy or scratchy, mostly EP(s) on this TT leaving aside mt AT LP 120.
The TT uses a ceramic cartridge (GP215).
Also if anyone has an original cartridge in stock and want to part with, please drop me a message or PM.
thanks,
Amitava

The simplest thing for you to do is to connect your speakers to the Hi-Q international deck and enjoy the music.

What you did can result in damage to the front end of your Sonodyne amp. Please be careful.

If there is a socket marked line out or tape out on the Hi-Q, take that signal and feed it to line in of the Sonodyne amp. Line in sensitivity is a few hundred millivolts while the speaker output is several watts. You are grossly overloading the input stage of the Sonodyne amp. The line/tape out, if it is provided, may be DIN type. You will require DIN to RCA converter cable in that case. Connecting your speakers directly to the Hi-Q shall be the simplest solution.

Regards,

Hi,
Thanks everybody. You all saved me from a disaster.
Actually the HI Q speakers are no longer with me. I have given them to a brother of mine. Hence I will have to connect the player to my existing amp only.. so I request you all to suggest me the mods I may have to carry out for doing so.
Regards,
Amitava

theoretically the best option is to buy a line convertor to convert the speaker output to line output, but I think its easier and cheaper just to buy an extra pair of hiq drivers and slap them in a pair of boxes if they are available locally. boston still makes them, and they're available in india.

theoretically the best option is to buy a line convertor to convert the speaker output to line output,

This is a network of registers that shall have some negative impact on the dynamics. The Hi-Q can drive whatever speakers that are connected to the Sonodyne amp. A small selector box that can select between the outputs of the two amps and connect the selected amp to the speakers can be used.

Regards,

Hi,
Thanks everybody. You all saved me from a disaster.
Actually the HI Q speakers are no longer with me. I have given them to a brother of mine. Hence I will have to connect the player to my existing amp only.. so I request you all to suggest me the mods I may have to carry out for doing so.
Regards,
Amitava

There are generally 2 types of outputs on any amplifier (whether the amp comes in the form on an integrated amp inside a record player or as a component unit or even as separate preamp and power amp components) namely line output and speaker output. As these titles suggest, they are for specific purposes. The speaker output is for obvious usage while the line output is for connecting the amp to a tape recorder or another amplifier. This is the output that you should connect to your external amplifier. Usually Philips record players have line outs in the form of 5-pin din sockets at the back. If you can post some pictures, we can easily guide you.

Connecting your speakers directly to the Hi-Q shall be the simplest solution.
AYlgpr

There are generally 2 types of outputs on any amplifier (whether the amp comes in the form on an integrated amp inside a record player or as a component unit or even as separate preamp and power amp components) namely line output and speaker output. As these titles suggest, they are for specific purposes. The speaker output is for obvious usage while the line output is for connecting the amp to a tape recorder or another amplifier. This is the output that you should connect to your external amplifier. Usually Philips record players have line outs in the form of 5-pin din sockets at the back. If you can post some pictures, we can easily guide you.

Dear Reubensm,
Thanks for your suggestion. But in this case the player has 2 input sockets namely tape and tuner. No line output sockets are provided. The only output is the speaker out. Is there any way to bypass the complete amp section of the player and connect it to my Sonodyne amp? If so please guide me through the process.
Regards,
Amitava

These are RCA or DIN type?

Also, why you do not want to connect the Sonodyne speakers to the Philips?

Regards,

Dear Analogadikt,
the inputs are of DIN type. The sonodyne speakers are connected to my sonodyne amp. and its cubersome to change over the amps each time I wish to play the Hiq. Hence trying to keep the Hiq connected to my sonodyne amp.
Amitava

Last edited:
Dear Analogadikt,
the inputs are of DIN type.
Amitava

Is the DIN socket marked as TAPE or TAPE IN ? If it says tape it shall be having both input and output connections. There are five connecting pins in a DIN socket,one is a common (-ve) while the other four are the hot wires, enabling two inputs and two outputs. If you can put up pics of the back panel that shall help. I find it rather odd that tape out is not there. It is thirty years since I used a Hi-Q system but IIRC they had a tape out. We used two systems for transferring vinyl to tape, my own Cosmic and a friend's Hi-Q.

Regards,

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back