Connecting a Speaker System to an Asus O!Play

TathD

Hey,

I'm planning to buy a digital media player very soon. Preferably something like the Asus O!Play Mini Plus. (ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS O!Play Mini Plus)

I don't own an LCD or a plasma, only a 29'' flat screen CRT TV - the Sansui Hardrock-294-i; and a Sansui dvd-518 to go with it.

The Asus lists its Output options as:
"Composite Video
Composite Audio L/R
S/PDIF Out (Optical)
HDMI 1.3"

I'm guessing I can probably connect it to my TV set.

But I also want a 5.1 channel speaker system to go with it.
Are there any component speaker systems available under 10k that would hook up directly with the Asus?
Is it possible to hook up a speaker system to the TV instead while its also connected to the media player at the same time?
Or do I absolutely need to have an A/V receiver.
Any chance I can use the DVD player somehow as a link between the speakers and the media player? It has a coaxial port, apparently.

As you can guess, I'm pretty much a layman in the field.

Would really appreciate some wise counsel. Pretty confused here at the moment.
Cheers!

I'm guessing I can probably connect it to my TV set.

Yes you can. The package usually comes with 3 pin RCA cable to hook to your TV.

But I also want a 5.1 channel speaker system to go with it.
Are there any component speaker systems available under 10k that would hook up directly with the Asus?

You can connect only the composite audio (L and R) to such speaker systems. This will produce only pseudo 5.1 effect. Not real 5.1 sound even if your source video has 5.1 sound. What you need to buy is a speaker system that has atleast one digital input which in this case is optical. If you can increase your budget by a little then buy Z906-Logitech 5.1 Speaker System, Surround Sound(THX certified) 2 yrs warranty | eBay. It has coaxial and optical inputs so that you can hook up both your media player and DVD player.

Is it possible to hook up a speaker system to the TV instead while its also connected to the media player at the same time?

Yes, if your TV has line out or headphone out.

Or do I absolutely need to have an A/V receiver.

AV receiver is recommended. Look for Onkyo 3400 priced around 25K.

Any chance I can use the DVD player somehow as a link between the speakers and the media player? It has a coaxial port, apparently.

No.

Thanks, man! That really cleared up a lot of things.

The Z-906 does look like a good option. Seems like it'll connect to almost anything.
The MRP is somewhere around 30k but the eBay seller is offering it at a really low price.

I checked. The TV has analog RCA line out. If I hook up a speaker system directly to said TV, I won't get true 5.1 quality will I?

An a/v receiver is on my wish list of course, but for sometime in the future.

Oh, forgot to mention I'm also looking at the Z623 Logitech 2.1 speaker system for additional purposes. (http://www.logitech.com/en-in/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/7321)
THX-certified and 200watts RMS.

The price is sweet and it's been getting great reviews.

Works with 3.5mm and RCA out. So I guess I can use it with both the Sansui CRT TV and my computers.

I heard that the newer LCDs and LEDs don't have analog audio out. So to connect the Z623 with such a TV would a Digital to Analog audio Converter suffice or would there be a drawback?

The TV has analog RCA line out. If I hook up a speaker system directly to said TV, I won't get true 5.1 quality will I?

The speaker system will convert the stereo sound to 5.1, but it is not true 5.1

I heard that the newer LCDs and LEDs don't have analog audio out. So to connect the Z623 with such a TV would a Digital to Analog audio Converter suffice or would there be a drawback?

If there is a headphone out then it can be used. Otherwise you will need a DAC that can convert optical signal to analog.

If you can stretch budget to 25k go with onkyo HTS-3400/3500. This is the BEST 5.1 system you can get for the price. And yes, you will be able to hook up just about anything to the receiver.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back