Connecting one pre amp and two Integrated Amps

mahiruha

Hello guys,
I have this peculiar situation and I want to know if there is a way to resolve it. I have this Lyrita pre amp with phono stage and my a/v receiver and the Lyrita integrated amp. Now my jamo speakers are attached to the receiver and the Lyrita speakers are attached to the Lyrita integrated amplifier. Since my TT is connected to the pre amp so I want to connect the preamp to both the receiver and the lyrita amplifier so that I can choose the speaker I want to listen to with my TT. In my understanding what I need is some sort of RCA cable which has 2 end in one side and 4 ends in the other side. Is there any such things available or I need to use some electronic device in between. I can remember that Venkat has devised some product like this.Can that address this particular issue?
Thanks in advance,
Mahiruha.

What type of output jacks does your TT has?

Fixed female RCA (L+R) sockets?
OR
Non-detatchable RCA cable with male RCA (L+R) jacks?

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Hello guys,
I have this peculiar situation and I want to know if there is a way to resolve it. I have this Lyrita pre amp with phono stage and my a/v receiver and the Lyrita integrated amp. Now my jamo speakers are attached to the receiver and the Lyrita speakers are attached to the Lyrita integrated amplifier. Since my TT is connected to the pre amp so I want to connect the preamp to both the receiver and the lyrita amplifier so that I can choose the speaker I want to listen to with my TT. In my understanding what I need is some sort of RCA cable which has 2 end in one side and 4 ends in the other side. Is there any such things available or I need to use some electronic device in between. I can remember that Venkat has devised some product like this.Can that address this particular issue?
Thanks in advance,
Mahiruha.

Hello Mahiruha,
You get Y RCA Interconnects in Chandni market. I am not sure, but i think this method will degarde the sound a little.
Regards
Vasu

Ready-made Y adapters are very common in the local market. I doubt they will be of high quality and you are advised to make your own or get them made. You could also buy two jacks (reasonably high quality jacks are available) and drill two holes in the back of the preamp and install them.

these are from ram cables, reasonably good, price = $ 4.50 a piece (IIRC)

In most cases this is not an issue, as preamps are able to drive low load impedances caused by connecting two power amps to the same output.

In the case of tube preamps though, you might want to check with the manufacturer (Viren) for feasibility. The output coupling capacitor in a tube amp may cause bass rolloff with too low an output impedance - and the preamp tube itself may not be able to deal with the low output impedance.

Typically, a solid state preamp in an AVR or power amp will have an input impedance of around 22k ohms. If the Lyrita can deal with a load of about 10-15K ohms (there will be the paralleled load of the tube amp as well), it should be fine.

Ready-made Y adapters are very common in the local market. I doubt they will be of high quality and you are advised to make your own or get them made. You could also buy two jacks (reasonably high quality jacks are available) and drill two holes in the back of the preamp and install them.

Hello Cranky,
thanks for your reply.Lyrita tube pre amp coupled with AVR is performing effortlessly. Thers is no issue and I am hoping the it will also perform ok when attached with Lyrita amplifier. I just want to keep this option open so that I can enjoy both single driver and multiple driver experience according to the mood. I found some RCA splitters in EBay india website but they are not gold plated and of inferior quality. Hence I guess in that case I need to look for custom made solutions.
Thanks.

I think cranky is right (as usual) :)
But it won't harm if you try to split the signal between 2 power amps. However, do a quick A/B of one with both amps connected (one on and other off) and only one connected. You may experience there is quite a bit of difference - yes, even when one of the power amp is switched off.
Though you may hear a difference, you may be able to live with that. So do try it out.

regards

I think cranky is right (as usual) :)
But it won't harm if you try to split the signal between 2 power amps. However, do a quick A/B of one with both amps connected (one on and other off) and only one connected. You may experience there is quite a bit of difference - yes, even when one of the power amp is switched off.
Though you may hear a difference, you may be able to live with that. So do try it out.

regards

Hello anm,
what is logic behind this reasoning. I will try it out. The only source of distortion thta may arise might be due to the nature of the material that will be used to do the split job.
Thanks.

Do you have direct access to the power section of these amps?
Both go through the pre of lyrita phono + pre of onkyo/ lyrita integrated?

regards

Hello anm,
what is logic behind this reasoning. I will try it out. The only source of distortion thta may arise might be due to the nature of the material that will be used to do the split job.
Thanks.

Mahiruha,

No harm in trying it out - splitting the preamp output to the two amps.

There can be impedance issues. However, the output impedance of the Lyrita tube pre is about 150 ohms. It is a transformer coupled output, so has no output capacitor. It should easily drive the input impedance of the AV receiver, assuming it's 22k ohms. The input impedance of the Lyrita SET amp is 470k ohms. So, even with the two amps connected in parallel, the load the preamp sees is 21k ohms; easy enough for the preamp to drive.

You might notice a slight drop in signal level, just turn the gain up a bit to compensate.

Regards,
Viren

Check this one
Monster Cable | RCA Female to 2 RCA Male Y-Adapter | 600450
They ship to India. They may be available with local Monster dealer also. I have entry level splitters from monsters costing @ Rs 250 each bought from Chroma. But there is noticeble signal drop. Now Chroma does not stock Monster here in Mumbai. If there is Reliance Digital check there.

Thnaks Sandip for your suggestion. In the meantime let me experiment with Suri's suggestions. I will post my experience.
Thnaks.

Hello guys,
here is a good news. I have received the RCA splitters sent by Suri. They look brilliant. Thanks to Suri for taking all the effort to send them. Once I get my Lyrita amp up and running I will put the splitters into action and post my impression.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back