Connecting Sony passive subwoofer to new Yamaha RX-V685 via sony receiver using coax

deepac7

I currently have a Sony Muteki 5.2 HT system (HT-M5). I am planning to upgrade to Yamaha RX-V685.
I am extremely happy with the sound I am getting with my current system however it is limited to DTS and Dolby Digital formats. I am upgrading only for DTS X and Dolby Atmos.
Since V685 can work with 6 ohm speakers, I am planning to retain the speakers. They are all in excellent condition.

The front speakers of Sony are of following specification :
Speaker system 2-way, 3-driver, Bass reflex Speaker unit Woofer: 200 mm (8 in), cone type × 2 Tweeter: 25 mm (1 in), horn type Rated Impedance 6 ohms.
The Center speaker of Sony is of following specification :
Speaker system Full range, Bass reflex, Magnetically shielded Speaker unit Woofer, Rated Impedance 6 ohms
The surround speakers of Sony are of following specification :
Speaker system Full range, Closed box Speaker unit Woofer: 100 mm (4 in), cone type Rated Impedance 6 ohms

All the speakers have proprietary connectors. However, very few people know that it is just a latch system. The connector can be easily removed.
I am tight on budget since I bought a new LG C8 this month hence the salvaging.
That being said,
I have four questions.

1) Is it okay to use these speakers given the specifications which I think are compatible with RX-V685?
2) As per the title, the Sony system's Sub woofers are of passive type. I was wondering if I could follow this setup :
Connect the sub woofer pre-out of Yamaha to co-axial input of Sony system and use at least one of the existing sub woofer.
(Speaker system Bass reflex Speaker unit 250 mm (10 in), cone type Rated Impedance 4 ohms)
Will this work?
3) I want to have a 5.1.2 setup. I don't want to cut a hole in my ceiling and somehow I am not convinced on up-firing speakers that bounce sound off to ceiling.
I want to have 2 front HEIGHT SPEAKERS for the atmos.
Are front height speakers a good idea to achieve 5.1.2?

I have attached the full spec of my Sony system. Here's the link just in case https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4415/44157899M.pdf

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back