Connecting Sony Wireless heaphones to Yamaha RX-V373 Receiver

eej003

'm having an issue with my receiver that has been really annoying and confusing over the past few days. Because my wife works really early in the morning, I decided to invest in a pair of Sony RF Wireless headphones (model MDRRF985RK) so I can watch movies and play games at night without disturbing her. My current setup is as follows.

61 inch Samsung DLP TV (61A750)
Polk Audio TL1600 5.1 system (four satellites, center channel, and subwoofer)
Yamaha RX-V363BL Receiver (hooked up via HDMI to my TV)
Sony 390 series Blu Ray Player (hooked up via HDMI to my receiver)
DirecTV HD DVR (hooked up via HDMI to my receiver)
Xbox 360 (really old launch model, so only has component hookups. I have it running via component cables to my receiver for the video and optical audio to the receiver for audio)
I have been running this setup for about 6 months now, and everything has worked fine.

When I unboxed my new Sony wireless headphones, I found out that they hook up via a simple red/white audio cable. The instructions state that if I want to run them through a receiver, I should connect the red and white cables to the respective "audio out" jacks on the back of my receiver. However, whenever I do this, I get absolutely no audio to the headphones. At first I thought I had bought a defective pair of headphones, so I tried using an alternative setup to see if they would work. I completely unhooked my DVR and Blu Ray player from the receiver and ran them directly to the TV via HDMI. I then hooked up my headphones to the "audio out" red white jacks on the back of my TV, and I immediately started receiving sound from the headphones, so I'm 100% confident that the problem isn't with the headphones themselves. I reconnected everything back to my receiver and connected my receiver to the TV, but I still cannot find a way to hook up my headphones to my receiver and receive sound. I have tried it both ways: connecting the headphones to my TV audio out jacks and connecting the headphones to my receiver audio out jacks. The only way I can get the headphones to work is if I completely disconnect my receiver from my system by running everything directly to the TV and then hooking the headphones up to the audio outputs on my TV.

I tried going through the setup on my receiver and seeing if I had to manually turn on form of audio output for the headphones to work, but I can't find anything. Am I completely missing something here regarding the setup?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back