Connection of record player with tower speaker

Bhaskar Jyoti Talapatra

Hi
I am Bhaskar from India.i am new in this forum. I have a Philips high q international 932. Can I connect it with Philips 2 way tower speaker? Please reply.

The speakers that I have are active speakers. Mine is a record player ( Philips hi q international 932). But I can't find phono input in the pair of tower speakers.

Can you post a picture of the speakers connection panel? Also the turntables output panel?

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...-turntable-with-amplifier-and-speakers.48835/

Pls refer to this thread. The 932 has built in amp so why do you want to connect the same to active speakers????
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...-turntable-with-amplifier-and-speakers.48835/

Pls refer to this thread. The 932 has built in amp so why do you want to connect the same to active speakers????
Yes I know that. At present I have been using it with passive speakers. But one of my friends has connected his record player ( I do not know the model no.) With zebronics tower speakers and the result is fine.so I also get it connected with the same.

Zebronics speakers, no comment. What speakers are you currently using? The 932 in current iteration will not allow you to connect to active speakers am afraid. It does not make any sense to try this activity in my humble opinion, unless you are willing to modify the internals. Why don't you go for another turntable that is sans built in amp to connect to active speakers? Here also you will require a phono pre amp to connect between the turntable and active speakers as very few active speakers come with built in phono pre amp options.

Yes I know that. At present I have been using it with passive speakers. But one of my friends has connected his record player ( I do not know the model no.) With zebronics tower speakers and the result is fine.so I also get it connected with the same.

The input for active speakers is usually a line input. You can wire any line output to it. I am assuming here that you have the version of Philips hi-q international which has a built in amplifier with the record player. If this is the case, if you look at the rear, you'd find a 5-pin din socket for tape. Tape dins usually have a dual function, for both input and output. The output part is usually used for recording purposes. The tape out should be able to drive your active speakers. Hope this helps.

Zebronics speakers, no comment. What speakers are you currently using? The 932 in current iteration will not allow you to connect to active speakers am afraid. It does not make any sense to try this activity in my humble opinion, unless you are willing to modify the internals. Why don't you go for another turntable that is sans built in amp to connect to active speakers? Here also you will require a phono pre amp to connect between the turntable and active speakers as very few active speakers come with built in phono pre amp options.[
The input for active speakers is usually a line input. You can wire any line output to it. I am assuming here that you have the version of Philips hi-q international which has a built in amplifier with the record player. If this is the case, if you look at the rear, you'd find a 5-pin din socket for tape. Tape dins usually have a dual function, for both input and output. The output part is usually used for recording purposes. The tape out should be able to drive your active speakers. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your advice.

Zebronics speakers, no comment. What speakers are you currently using? The 932 in current iteration will not allow you to connect to active speakers am afraid. It does not make any sense to try this activity in my humble opinion, unless you are willing to modify the internals. Why don't you go for another turntable that is sans built in amp to connect to active speakers? Here also you will require a phono pre amp to connect between the turntable and active speakers as very few active speakers come with built in phono pre amp options.
Can you suggest a TT that is not high end rather less expensive?

Thanks . your post helps me a lot.

Turntables come in many varieties, in different price ranges. There are used and new. The used ones are generally affordable but you must know how to check them or how to repair them. The new ones are usually highly over priced, due to small production quantities or import duties. Also there are a few out to make a buck, pricing both turntables and records quite high. These effect the market, attract more business people to the field and un-necessarily drive prices up. Here are some examples. You can get more info on these types if you check online.

Turntables come in 3 basic categories, based on the drive mechanism - belt drive, idler drive, direct drive (I am staying in the lowest end)

If buying belt drive TTs on a budget, go for something like the Technics SLBD20B (may not be easily available but there are other similar types from brands like Teac, Audio Technica, Denon, etc). Prices can be between 2 or 3k and can go as high as 15k.

Idler drive turntables generally are vintage as this drive mechanism is not common these days. The Garrards, Duals, Lencos are good examples. Again, thanks to these business guys, prices have gone through the roof. The king of idler driver turntables, the Garrard 301 will cost you upwards of 1 lakh. But keeping this example in mind, seller usually price scrap Garrard turntables and changers in the 20k-30k price range. Actual value can vary from Rs.500 to Rs.7000 depending on the condition.

When it comes to direct drives, there is only one trusted player in my opinion, Technics. A Technics direct drive turntable in good condition is worth its weight in gold. There are automatic and semi automatic versions. Prices can range from 12k to 25k.

Kindly note that the prices mentioned includes an entry level phonocartridge and stylus. Some of the entry level turntables like the belt drive turntables may come with an inbuilt phonostage which will save you the extra spend, just in case your amplifier does not have a phono input.

Hope this helps.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back