Considering a crown amp. Is it the right choice?

adakadavuley

After looking at the choices for a budget class D amp, I have zero'd in on the crown xls 2502 because it is readily available locally and has warranty. I wanted to check if it is the right call.

This will be my chain if I get the crown amp:
Allo Digione (picoreplayer streaming mostly qobuz, spotify, youtube) > Topping E30 > Crown XLS 2502 > NHT SuperOne 2.1 Bookshelf speakers.

My speakers at rated 86db @ 8ohms with 100W continuous power handling and peak power handling of 250W. My current integrated amp (60W/channel) is able to power it to sufficient volumes. I don't listen very loud. But it feels like it has some difficulty with resolving peaks and complex passages in classical music. It is good to listen if the track has only a few instruments and vocals. This might be a limitation with the speakers. But I wanted to check if the problem is because of insufficient power. Also, my amp has other issues which was discussed in another thread. I will be taking it to a tech for repairs. But I think I am done with heavy (mine weighs 9kgs!), hot amplifiers that consume a lot of power.

I figured the crown gives me enough power at a low cost to power any future speakers I want to upgrade later. I can also add a low cost tube pre-amp or tube buffer to the chain. Maybe even add a subwoofer to the line out down the line.

I have been warned about being careful with the class D sound. I guess I will have to risk it because I have no way to demo it.

I wanted to check if this the right way of thinking about this. I also wanted to check if the crown will be too much power and I run a risk of blowing my drivers. What are the safety measures I need to take in this regard?

One more question - the topping E30 says output is 2vrms. Should I change the input sensitivity on the crown to 0.7 or can I leave it at the default?

Thanks!

I have a few videos of crown xls 2502 playing in my system. Do take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCviB2rLb7dYIkaVNzI34YQw/videos

My center channel is bridged with my second crown xls 2502 which outputs around 1500 watts of power. It's not required at all but I have used it because the option is available. If the volume control is used within reason, it will not harm the speakers in any way. You can push it to quite loud levels and your ears will get uncomfortable before the speakers blow up. So, safety measure is only your control over the volume.

2vrms should be sufficient for the 1.4 v setting to work nicely. However, this can be changed anytime to .777. It will play louder but it will add just a bit of noise into the system. I am using mine at .777 To my ears, it sounds better.

I keep the gains on the crown at around 2 O Clock and then use the volume control on the pre to adjust the volume. A tube preamp or a tube buffer will further change the sound which most will like.

The last of many edits:

I don't see a volume control in your chain. If you don't have one, keep the gain controls of the crowns at zero before you play music. Then you can slowly increase the gain to your required volumes or control the volume from at the source, for eg: Tidal, youtube etc
After looking at the choices for a budget class D amp, I have zero'd in on the crown xls 2502 because it is readily available locally and has warranty. I wanted to check if it is the right call.

This will be my chain if I get the crown amp:
Allo Digione (picoreplayer streaming mostly qobuz, spotify, youtube) > Topping E30 > Crown XLS 2502 > NHT SuperOne 2.1 Bookshelf speakers.

My speakers at rated 86db @ 8ohms with 100W continuous power handling and peak power handling of 250W. My current integrated amp (60W/channel) is able to power it to sufficient volumes. I don't listen very loud. But it feels like it has some difficulty with resolving peaks and complex passages in classical music. It is good to listen if the track has only a few instruments and vocals. This might be a limitation with the speakers. But I wanted to check if the problem is because of insufficient power. Also, my amp has other issues which was discussed in another thread. I will be taking it to a tech for repairs. But I think I am done with heavy (mine weighs 9kgs!), hot amplifiers that consume a lot of power.

I figured the crown gives me enough power at a low cost to power any future speakers I want to upgrade later. I can also add a low cost tube pre-amp or tube buffer to the chain. Maybe even add a subwoofer to the line out down the line.

I have been warned about being careful with the class D sound. I guess I will have to risk it because I have no way to demo it.

I wanted to check if this the right way of thinking about this. I also wanted to check if the crown will be too much power and I run a risk of blowing my drivers. What are the safety measures I need to take in this regard?

One more question - the topping E30 says output is 2vrms. Should I change the input sensitivity on the crown to 0.7 or can I leave it at the default?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Wow thanks for sharing the videos! That's very encouraging. Whatever doubts I had are gone. Did you do any EQ/Room correction?

Very helpful regarding the input voltage as well. I am initially planning to use the volume control on the topping E30 by using it in preamp mode. I will definitely be adding the tube pre as well.

I also have been using crowns to power my front speakers, I have EQ'd them and using reference or sometimes turning off the Audyssey all together from my Denon x3700.
Listening to stereo music without subwoofer as fronts pack good punch after adding crowns.
They are very neutral but do provide good power to the speakers. The bass, mids and highs are just right.

Don't worry they won't fry your speakers, clipping light should keep you in check.

These things are "chota package bada dhamaka"
Very cheap and super light, loving them in my setup.

Last edited:
Why you guys are choosing 2502 or 2002? Do we really need that much power?1502 has sufficient power, why not go with it?

I just want to understand the logic behind it.

Why you guys are choosing 2502 or 2002? Do we really need that much power?1502 has sufficient power, why not go with it?

Well I got the 2002 for a very good value, though used at 18.5k from fellow FM.
During lockdown no one was delivering, but these come with a very good warranty so got them.

1502 will be more than sufficient and one wouldn't hear much different between 1502 and 2002.

The Crown xls1502 should do just fine. (I have not heard it though)

ASR Review with measurements of the 1502
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-measurements-of-crown-xls-1502-amp.6062/

ASR Review with measurements of the 2502
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../crown-xls2502-stereo-amplifier-review.10627/

I guess the cost difference is only 6k for a lot more power. Thought it can be used for bigger speakers later on maybe.

I guess the cost difference is only 6k for a lot more power. Thought it can be used for bigger speakers later on maybe.
Bigger speakers are usually more sensitive and require less power. Unless you are going to use it for PA systems in wide open areas, xls 1002 has more than enough power to drive a domestic hifi system.

Bigger speakers are usually more sensitive and require less power. Unless you are going to use it for PA systems in wide open areas, xls 1002 has more than enough power to drive a domestic hifi system.
Right..got it. Will keep that in mind. The difference between 1002 and 2002 is only 200 rupees on Amazon. I guess I’ll pick the 2002.

You may also look into Crown XLi series. This has also got Selectable input sensitivity of 1.4V or 0.775V (Most home preamps designed with this output). This is old school class A/B. Readily available in Amazon India. But lacks DSP. Depends on your application and specs of your pre amp.

You may also look into Crown XLi series. This has also got Selectable input sensitivity of 1.4V or 0.775V (Most home preamps designed with this output). This is old school class A/B. Readily available in Amazon India. But lacks DSP. Depends on your application and specs of your pre amp.

I have read fans are quite audible in the XLi Series, not sure how much.

Someone using XLi can shed some light on this.

One of the reasons I wanted to go for class D for me is it runs cool and is less weight...hopefully it will consume less power as well.

Even I am considering to go for a XLi 2500 to drive my pair of passive subwoofers. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Also anyone selling it here can also PM me

Even I am considering to go for a XLi 2500 to drive my pair of passive subwoofers. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Also anyone selling it here can also PM me
If the XLi does not have DSP, then for subwoofer use, you are better of with the XLS series where you can set the low pass filters for the passive subwoofers.

Last edited:
If the XLi does not have DSP, then for subwoofer use, you are better of with the XLS series where you can set the low pass filters for the passive subwoofers.
I am using pre-power combo for 5 channel HT. My pre can handle the LPF and even equalize the LFE signal. So it's not a issue for me.

Need some recommendations on my home theater.

I have a Denon receiver with 80 watts per channel on stereo and Tannoy floor standing speakers. I feel as if the receiver is underpowered and looking for a budget amplifier.

Amazon sells these Crown amplifier's models XLS 1002 & XLS1502 at a similar price.
Does anyone recommend going for these? Considering the speaker specs

Tannoy & AVR.jpg

Need some recommendations on my home theater.

I have a Denon receiver with 80 watts per channel on stereo and Tannoy floor standing speakers. I feel as if the receiver is underpowered and looking for a budget amplifier.

Amazon sells these Crown amplifier's models XLS 1002 & XLS1502 at a similar price.
Does anyone recommend going for these? Considering the speaker specs

View attachment 58408
Does your receiver have pre-outs ? Doesn't look like it does. So you many not be able to add a power amp to it.

Does your receiver have pre-outs ? Doesn't look like it does. So you many not be able to add a power amp to it.

Thank you for responding.

Forgot to mention that, Since this one does not have a pre-out., I have ordered a speaker-level to Line-level adapter. Hope it will take care of this limitation.

Since these crown amplifiers have a lot of power. I was wondering if this is something my speaker can handle considering the mentioned RMS value.

1624164939691.png

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back