Contact/Control cleaner for potentiometer

basslover

I have a 15 year old speaker that crackles and distorts whenever I turn the volume knob. What is the best place to purchase a control cleaner for cleaning these? Are these available in local hardware or electronic stores? Or should I buy them on Amazon? Any recommended brands?

Follow as shown in photo

LgwOASkt9Ci8nl43JiThspy-ovVaDP6Cpy5D966VNAfw8TEsowMjfqqz-LSIRcc58S2Z4w7xWoko1Dt81KiLMAZMFaXkufHz7kWGuMjkC1y7_CwfIqKF6E_Dnq-v8WoBrXw7aFJRkuoqJQd4wj_h4bJYh9Ax9Chv7qlJpz7HU2LZIO4unEROx8ipyfX9mI_341yKQPOrusvnrMj-z7EKNwhejOLgl3flZS7PjDySZNzQ1cQu-rxy4_U4tKYc19Zo9VijH97Yt-8Q8d2LXyewgMjaRFuuyByGhbx7vDCFG6ozYYW6L08Qwm86pSEwDUtllv8kyucTgA-6yETFaw-pkzXbyMHnj68NppNjGjvGtgP9yQ3wwFPXBDesnWkbEcd56HLi3Dw5xReeVKzCIGO4-Vx8XCwZpwWa6Er6DcWc9IAWdN2vXFtG0Bfc2hw4kiO4qOu4MFFdSQFpf2ZSkvHZ75u_fl91GE7DeZqbsS60puQaIifRlGMZQSALQMrQj3PrzXwRpvKamuzO4yrE_KGRzAGPVOBw1_B-t_LxKIN1p7bIty0Ra6zTPLZYDkSgKv5DTRr19VcILrpeBHLIFoLesS2t7d8UC37zGM10J_eN1HTQLlyLk2S8ClKbJV84soC-DBlt8OGsnaC6iM4uu2tYkCsatU5oUaU=s500-no

But this is not a permanent solution. I would recommend you to change the potentiometer with a good brand such as "Alps". You can buy the same from theaudiocrafts

I've used DeoxIT, TriboCor, OKS contact cleaners. All work as expected.

I remember importing DeoxIT but you need to shell out a bit more. If you can find one locally, go ahead. Else look for any of the above including CRC contact cleaners online or in your local electronic stores.

Isopropyl alcohol. 100% safe and does not leave any residue.
Available at the chemist.

Isopropyl alcohol. 100% safe and does not leave any residue.
Available at the chemist.

+1
I'd like to throw my support behind the answers which recommend propyl alcohol, as I have had excellent results.

In my case, I used a mixture of 91% Propyl alcohol and acetone (2:1 alcohol to acetone ratio)
This originally was to remove flux, but I discovered it also makes a GREAT contact cleaner!

A little alcohol dripped into the pot, twisting the shaft a few times, then drying the excess with a hairdryer - worked wonders for me.

Thanks for all suggestions, guys. An electronics store recommended WD40 but this stackexchange answer discourages its use. What are your opinions?

Does it come with a spray straw?
WD40 is like a lubricant. It displaces the water/moisture but doesn't clean anything. Don't ever use it to clean any electronic part.

Regards
Sachin

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back