Contrast and sharpness level in Plasma

binoymehra

i have pana 42G10, lovely tv .Use airtel hdtv dth .even in quite lighted room I do not have any problem in watching tv,
i keep the contrast at 55 and brightness at -1 or at 0 position. Sharpness at around 20 only and colour normal.
My question is what could be the disadvantage of having contrast level at 60 or 70 or even more (from the point of view of set longivity)and whether 55 can be viewed as high contrast being more than 50 midway?
similarly what could be implication of keeping high sharpness level say 50 or more?
Pl clarify my doubts.

i have pana 42G10, lovely tv .Use airtel hdtv dth .even in quite lighted room I do not have any problem in watching tv,
i keep the contrast at 55 and brightness at -1 or at 0 position. Sharpness at around 20 only and colour normal.
My question is what could be the disadvantage of having contrast level at 60 or 70 or even more (from the point of view of set longivity)and whether 55 can be viewed as high contrast being more than 50 midway?
similarly what could be implication of keeping high sharpness level say 50 or more?
Pl clarify my doubts.
You are in dangerous waters. The lower contrast you set in the beginning, the longer life you are going to have for the plasma.
I am not comparing but have recently got a Pioneer Kuro which comes with a standard setting of 40 contrast. But I have started with < 30 and target to keep it that low during the first few hundred hours of running in, and then gradually raise it. These are lessons learned from owners of Kuro. Even at low contrasts, if the TV is good, the picture should be fine.
Just sharing what I know. Good luck.

murali

D-Nice a professional expert on AVS Forum suggests to run the plasma TV for 100 hours at contrast 100 and brightness at +50. (This is in the context of Panasonic plasma lineup in USA and with RGB and white picture slides). He proposes this to age the phosphor uniformly, and nothing to do with IR or burn-in.

What I understood after reading info on Internet is we can run the TV with ANY settings as long the picture covers the full panel WITHOUT any constant image like logos.

In India most of the TV channels are run by unprofessionals, politicians, goons, they keep the logo all the time, hence you many need to change the channels frequently. However I could not find any suggested time limit. I change channels for every 10 to 15 minutes, especially during the ads.

Misunderstandings have to be cleared.
Contrast ratio is a significant aspect of image quality and having blacks that are "truly" blacks is always one of the keys to deliver real life film quality to image (no LCD comes close to plasma in that). Mathematically it is a measure of the light emitted at maximum brightness divided by that emitted at maximum darkness. Dividing any number by zero is infinity, right? So if the TV is true to black levels, like the Pioneer Kuro is and hence considered as the benchmark, the contrast needs to be minimum even in bright rooms. The common sense advice is always no excessive brightness and contrast for plasma and LCD, neve use them with 100% contrast, and often <60% should be enough for a good panel.
Panasonic is not "yet" Pioneer and I have both the Kuro 500-P and X-20 at home and am telling from experience. Both being relatively new, I have set the Pioneer at 27 and Panasonic at 40 to get decent performance from both. They have also been crosschecked with DVD Essentials disc which gives useful tips to set up the contrast, brightness, sharpneess etc. When the panel ages, the contrast and brightness are slowly increased, that is what is recommended in professional circles.

Just some thoughts and experiences being shared. No controversy meant. Bye.

murali

I agree with Murali, but would like to add here that the setting will vary for each set and the environment it is in. So he may be able to run at the settings given the way he has set up the system. A lot will depend on where the equipment is being used and what are the lighting conditions.

Hey Murali where did you manage to get a new Kuro from? I hope you are not going to tell me you got it from "neither here nor there";) What size is it by the way??
PS: How much did you get it for?

Hey Murali where did you manage to get a new Kuro from? I hope you are not going to tell me you got it from "neither here nor there";) What size is it by the way??
PS: How much did you get it for?

From Bangalore dealer. Model KRP-500A. Rs 2.6L.

murali

From Bangalore dealer. Model KRP-500A. Rs 2.6L.

murali

Congratulations mate, haven't read anyone on this forum owning one so far...would really appreciate if you could share some pics...experiences with this one. It almost extinct abroad hence guess you are lucky to find one and that too in india where pioneer never pushed for PDP sales even during their prime time.

Congratulations mate, haven't read anyone on this forum owning one so far...would really appreciate if you could share some pics...experiences with this one. It almost extinct abroad hence guess you are lucky to find one and that too in india where pioneer never pushed for PDP sales even during their prime time.

If you really look for it hard, you will find one for sure, there are still some selling.
I believe this is the best TV I have ever seen and the closest that comes to it is the Philips 21:9.
It is so good that I am perfectly happy and contended to use my DV-LX50 DVD player with a good Wireworld HDMI cable for video and there is no itch to upgrade to Blu-Ray. The DVD pictures are indeed magnificant. When you watch it, you realise the importance of contrast and what blackness really means and enhances the picture quality.
By the way, when I was looking for the 500A, another one, KRP-600M, was available with The Audio People Chennai for Rs3.5L. But for my room, 50" is good enough.

Good luck in your quest.
murali

If you really look for it hard, you will find one for sure, there are still some selling.
I believe this is the best TV I have ever seen and the closest that comes to it is the Philips 21:9.
It is so good that I am perfectly happy and contended to use my DV-LX50 DVD player with a good Wireworld HDMI cable for video and there is no itch to upgrade to Blu-Ray. The DVD pictures are indeed magnificant. When you watch it, you realise the importance of contrast and what blackness really means and enhances the picture quality.
By the way, when I was looking for the 500A, another one, KRP-600M, was available with The Audio People Chennai for Rs3.5L. But for my room, 50" is good enough.

Good luck in your quest.
murali

Mate, can you share details of the bangalore dealer. Is he carrying istock or offloading display sets..

Back