Conversion of music from vinyl to digital format.

eastofthesun

Hi guys , wanted to find this for a friend of mine. Does anyone know of any place in mumbai which converts music from vinyls to the digital format .
Cheers!
Anand Iyer

@ Jayant _S , Well not Sacrilege actually, its an art form. Very few people have perfected this art.

On the other hand you have Turntables with USB which convert vinyl to Digital on the fly. ( Now that would be sacrilege)

@ Ananad , Not all vinyls need to be converted to digital.( The exercise would be futile as not everything that is on Vinyl sounds good.)

Vinyls that were mastered really good by a mastering engineer who knew what he was doing, from the original analogue master tapes sound really amazing and converting them to digital would still be worth the effort. ( Given the price of vintage and rare vinyls today)

The source is the the key. If the source is good you you can get something very close to an analogue feel even on a digital format, for that you need a really well mastered Vinyl in pristine condition.

The 4 reasons that would make it worth converting Vinyl to digital:

1. Source Quality
2. Vinyl Rarity
3. Vinyl Condition ( Preferably Mint to Near Mint Condition )
4. Music Worth Preserving.

There is a lot more to it , i could go on and on but then that would be like going down the rabbit hole.

Cheers.

Harry.

@ Jayant _S , Well not Sacrilege actually, its an art form. Very few people have perfected this art.

On the other hand you have Turntables with USB which convert vinyl to Digital on the fly. ( Now that would be sacrilege)

@ Ananad , Not all vinyls need to be converted to digital.( The exercise would be futile as not everything that is on Vinyl sounds good.)

Vinyls that were mastered really good by a mastering engineer who knew what he was doing, from the original analogue master tapes sound really amazing and converting them to digital would still be worth the effort. ( Given the price of vintage and rare vinyls today)

The source is the the key. If the source is good you you can get something very close to an analogue feel even on a digital format, for that you need a really well mastered Vinyl in pristine condition.

The 4 reasons that would make it worth converting Vinyl to digital:

1. Source Quality
2. Vinyl Rarity
3. Vinyl Condition ( Preferably Mint to Near Mint Condition )
4. Music Worth Preserving.

There is a lot more to it , i could go on and on but then that would be like going down the rabbit hole.

Cheers.

Harry.
@Jayant_S & @harry123456 , well just wanted to find out for his sake , sacrilege or not i leave that to him :) . So is there aplace where it can be coverted in mumbai?
cheers
Anand

@harry123456 all in jest. The stuff I don't know would fill two forums :p
IMO, if you're lucky enough to own records, I would want to listen to them as they are. But I totally understand the practicality of digital formats.

@eastofthesun will ask around and let you know. This may take time and some discretion. I don't wanna lose my vinyl buddies :D

Anand, this won’t answer your question. But if the friend is interested in digital music, has he explored a FLAC streaming service like Tidal? Huge collection and there are multiple editions of older albums, but I find the earliest versions (without remastering) sound the best. At about Rs 1500 per month, it’s cost effective for a heavy listener. Their collection (including very deep Indian collection) might already have well-digitised versions of a large percentage of LPs one might have - unless they are very rare. Also, digitising from used LPs would be susceptible to the sound artefacts the LP would have acquired with usage. Just saying!

Last edited by a moderator:
it shouldn't be too hard. the NAD pp4 (which I owned) and a host of other beginner phonostages come with a software (CD included) to convert vinyl to digital. Maybe ask somebody who owns such a phono if you cannot find a dedicated shop to do this.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back