Convert 120v subwoofer to 220v

teju898

Hi Team.
I am new to this area.
I am planning to buy a polkaudio subwoofer from USA which can handle only 120v and do not have a voltage converter option in it. I live in India where we use 220v. I am planning to use a step down transformer which brings down the power from 220v to 120v.
I have few questions on this.
1) Can i do it? If yes, Is this the right way?
2) If i can do it, will there be any issue in the performance of the sub?
3) What are the long term maintenance?

This won't be a problem. Many forum members are using 110V subwoofers with step down transformer. Get a good quality transformer that can supply enough current for the subwoofer.

i would like to know which polk sub you intend to buy from US, have you considered the final price including international shipping and customs cost and still that is cheaper than India price (refer Profx site)? Subs being heavy end up with lot of shipping charges.

u have better options if u can get one from hsu or rythmik. They even have dual voltage capabilities in many models.

Whenever possible, avoid stepdowns. Any component added between the power supply and ur end use, will contribute to power loss and electrical noise. U might as well save some money here and get a better sub from HSU or rythmik.

I have been using a US bought Yamaha sub-woofer using a step-down transformer without any issues for last 9 years :).

If you already have a sub-woofer, adding a step-down transformer should be ok. If you are buying a new sub-woofer, I strongly suggest you buy one in India. Although it'll cost you more, it'll save the headache of setting it up.

which sub are you planning to get, i got 660 last week for around 29k.

Checking on amazon it is selling for 435$ approx 24.2k. Imaging is it worth the pain to save 5k, until ofcourse you are getting it for 300$ or so.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back