converting movies with 2.1 audio to 5.1

heeresh

hi,
i have a decent collection of movies which i have been downloading over the years. i usually download smaller size files approx 700 mb as to the 4 gb dvd rips and the 15 -20 gb blue ray rips.These smaller size files have their audio in 2.1( compressed and encoded i guess) . Is there any way i can convert them back into 5.1 ? . or are there any HD MEDIA/ STREAMING PLAYERS that can decode and play them with its orginal sound.

No. You can't convert 2.1 channels to original 5.1. You can use dolby prologic, dts neo6 etc. to get virtual 5.1

You can convert with Nero 7 or above,but cannot get true surround effect.Else use prologic as suggested which will sound better.

thanks for the suggestions! have tried nero 10 .not very convinced with the outcome.. frankly did not feel much of a diffrence ,at the same time the video is taking a beating ,either it is streached or its elongated . will try out the other options and get back!

Last edited:
hi,
i have a decent collection of movies which i have been downloading over the years. i usually download smaller size files approx 700 mb as to the 4 gb dvd rips and the 15 -20 gb blue ray rips.These smaller size files have their audio in 2.1( compressed and encoded i guess) . Is there any way i can convert them back into 5.1 ? . or are there any HD MEDIA/ STREAMING PLAYERS that can decode and play them with its orginal sound.

why dont you download the 5.1 rips instead of the 2.0? i think they are 1.4 gb ..

i guess will have to do that from now on ! just feeling bad that i cant enjoy all those movies what i have downloaded over the years on my new ht!

I hope you understand that 5.1 means, audio from 5 dedicated seperate channels. An audio down-converted to 2 channels or an audio recorded in 2 channels cannot be up-converted to 5.1. All software do is to use algos to convert and provide a virtual, or pseudo 5.1 environment, that in actual sense is just pathetic.
What an AVR does in run time to convert a 2 channel input to 5.1 channel using dolby prologic, dts neo6 is still better then converting using softwares.
Better redownload with proper 5.1 audio, sure its some work again but you would enjoy your HT far more than with any other alternative ......

Last edited:
SAM i have bought a a samsung blu ray player which says audio decoding output to be a dolby/DTS 7.1 ch
whereas the other models specified a 2ch output(2.1)
does that mean my blu ray player will do a ON-THE-FLY 2.1 to 7.1 conversions?
does that mean if i play a 2.1 audio source in my blu ray...will i get a 5.1 effect in my HT?

converting through AVR is much better. Atleast Dialogues come out of center channel. But it is really absurd to have a 50k HT setup and playing 2.0 channel audio converted to 5.1.

I had many rips, downloaded through years. I deleted them all. And downloaded all again with AC3/5.1 audio. I even buy DVDs. Now purchasing BDs as well. This way I think HT Setup gets justice. ;)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back