cosumer rip off with 3G

kaushik

There are 3 ways the network providers extracting money from the mobile users

1 . small towns etc where many people dont know what is email there is
Great marketing campaigns for 3G handsets , there these people buy 3G hand sets
Paying even 20k because it is latest handset , after the sim being inserted the providers
Start billing him as most handsets have apps downloading in background.
2 .Cities there is hype of 3g
In fact providers giving 200MB for full month in 200Rs, this trap gets many educated consumers
200MB?? Guys its 2 -3 videos if you stream all will be over in 1 hour;) .. post paid people will be billed [Airtel, others also will be same]
after this silently
3.3G video calling
some more here
http://www.consumercourtforum.in/f51/airtel-3g-cheating-postpaid-customers-42012/
Same story
When will our consumers be fully aware ??

I am sure the tech savvy will be aware. Others might just want bragging rights for using 3G.

1. I've got smartphones and/or tabs for all my family including the in-laws (India and US).
2. Set up internet and WiFi for everyone here (in US everyone I know has a 30-40 MBPS connection with the entire house WiFi enabled).
3. Had everyone instal Fring for video calling.

Seeing I have Beam I only pay Rs. 5500 for 6 months (10 MBPS) and its a lot cheaper than 3G and faster too.

But I agree for those without Beam other ISP services are expensive. Before Beam even I was paying nearly 2K each month for a 1 MBPS connection with Tata Wimax.

I am sure the tech savvy will be aware. Others might just want bragging rights for using 3G.

1. I've got smartphones and/or tabs for all my family including the in-laws (India and US).
2. Set up internet and WiFi for everyone here (in US everyone I know has a 30-40 MBPS connection with the entire house WiFi enabled).
3. Had everyone instal Fring for video calling.

Seeing I have Beam I only pay Rs. 5500 for 6 months (10 MBPS) and its a lot cheaper than 3G and faster too.

But I agree for those without Beam other ISP services are expensive. Before Beam even I was paying nearly 2K each month for a 1 MBPS connection with Tata Wimax.

you got confused with home internet I was talking about the Mobile 3G ripp off by AIRTEL etc .

Tech savvy , Intel mobile (we actually work with mobile domain) people here fall in to 3g trap .

yes home internet ISPs also cheat so called tech savvy many times .

I was there in Hyderabad for 5 years and I have used Beam. I can surely say its WONDERFUL. Hardly any downtime. I used to use a unlimited 256 kbps connection @ 400 / month. At the face of it, it may sound high but I used to get 200 kbps speed consistently. Compared to that I use a Tata Photon 5 mbps connection in B'lore @ 900 / month, which gives 100 kbps connection when the usage is below 5 GB and thereafter it gives 10-20 kbps. Yes you heard it right a broadband connection giving 10-20 kbps.

Folks in Hyderabad.... go for Beam, if you are not using it yet.

hi,

I have seen one fraud like that.All mobile phones having MMS option as autodownload the providers enable this automatically and sending some MMS to us.Once the message comes to our mobile this will automatically download in our mobile and they are making money on this.For this every one should change the mms option to manual download.

you got confused with home internet I was talking about the Mobile 3G ripp off by AIRTEL etc .

Tech savvy , Intel mobile (we actually work with mobile domain) people here fall in to 3g trap .

yes home internet ISPs also cheat so called tech savvy many times .

I meant I have been ripped off enough times by AirTel for GPRS, MMS and 3G. I even had a post paid with them that was never billed for less than Rs. 1500 each month. I hardly talk... a recharge of Rs. 50 on prepaid lasts me 6 months.

That's why I have moved everything to an ISP and WiFi. ISPs probably cheat too but nothing like the mobile companies.

Kaushik,
Thanks for starting the thread, i am too a victim of this daylight roberry, are there any ways of avoiding this....

mohamednaseer how to set mms to manual down load in a mobile like Nokia

Charan

Kaushik,
Thanks for starting the thread, i am too a victim of this daylight roberry, are there any ways of avoiding this....

mohamednaseer how to set mms to manual down load in a mobile like Nokia

Charan
Tips :
* if you use android there are data blocker apps , nokia i am not sure .
i use 'Data switch' app - but data gets activated on restart

*for all cells in airtel dial 121 and deactivate 3g (know more about 3g) voice menu
* Be careful streaming video etc in daily or monthly pack in GPRs
i was charged 120Rs by Airtel in 2min, once i crossed the 5Rs 50 MB data
plan
They never refunded [all people know in 2 minutes u will not DL 1 gb @ gprs speed ]
*Some recharge values only give 3g, they will never give talktime Eg. 60Rs in airtel.:indifferent14:
* many phones have 'use 2g only' use that
*best way to avoid background data , change the APN url to something else
eg. airtelgprs.com to airtelgprs.com1

Back