Coudn't get what I thought I wanted....

Vj@HiFi

So settled for the the LG 42" PQ70 for 40.9...

I tried and tried but there was no Samsung B450 available so bought this one.

I am happy with what I have got and yes I have no hum from my tv (which I have heard in a Samsung, btw)

I think, as Blasto describes it, it is a feature rich VFM TV and would not hesitate to recommend it for the price I paid. My greatest fear about SD performance did not come true and while some of the channels the PQ is suspect and one can notice the pixelation or jitter, they are not the ones we usually watch. Saw a few movies and the Hi Def rip of Trasnformers 2 was quite stunning (played through the WDTV).

One of the things that I thought was better in the LGs was the placement of the controls on the TV on the right side instead of the bottom as in a Samsung (if I remember correctly). The third HDMI in and the USB port along with the second AVin is on the left side. I was a little disappointed with the rendition of some of the pictures (all jpegs) reading off a USB drive using the USB port for a slide show. For some of the photographs, the contrast was all wrong. They render excellently on my BenQ 24" full HD LCD monitor. Also it would not read a few of the pictures, I suspect there is a limit to the (file) size it will display. Have to try seeing them from the WDTV..

But overall a happy end to my hunt and in a sense I have completed my system, which now consists of the Denon 1909 AVR, Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Towers, Wharfedale SW150 Sub, WDTV (1.0), Pio DV 410V and now the LG 42 PQ70 (along with the the local cable wallah Digitelly STB). Oh, I also have a Sony RM-VL610 universal remote. All in all a middle of the road solution, from what I have read here...

I have other issues in the overall setup, but they are related to using the AVR's HDMI out as the TV feed. I have connected all my equipment to the AVR. The cable STB's 3 RCA out, WDTV's HDMI and the DVD player's HDMI are connected to the respective inputs on the AVR. Essentially what happens is this: if I am playing some music off WDTV or the DVD player and now I want to switch my TV off (and save 300+ watts of juice) and I hit the TV remote's Power OFF, my AVR also switches off!! So I have to power on my AVR again.. Any solutions in this are welcome or I will have to go back to my earlier method of connection; audio directly to AVR and Video to the TV and have separate settings for music and video on the AVR. Though how its going to work with the WDTV is still a little suspect, since to play anything from WDTV requires going through the menu on the TV....

Ok, am off to my New year party, hope you all are doing the same and not reading this lame post.... :) But Happy New year to all HiFiVision friends.

I was a little disappointed with the rendition of some of the pictures (all jpegs) reading off a USB drive using the USB port for a slide show. For some of the photographs, the contrast was all wrong. They render excellently on my BenQ 24" full HD LCD monitor. Also it would not read a few of the pictures, I suspect there is a limit to the (file) size it will display. Have to try seeing them from the WDTV..

You might have noted that there is no picture settings for the Xcanvas studio (USB) mode.

The TV stores individual settings for all the inputs (like composite, component1/2 etc) seperately but it does not have a seperate setting for the Xcanvas studio mode. It just picks up the settings from the input you were previously using brfore pressing the xcanvas studio button. So if the picture is wrong in USB mode, Your settings in the input prior to selecting the USB slide show is wrong! Please Correct it.

The best way to access the xcanvas studio is to go the PC input mode (which has minimal picture enhancement settings) set everything configurable to 50/100 and then start the xcanvas mode slide show.

BTW, I remember recommending you the samsung since you have the WDTV? Couldn't you have waited? ;)

..... BTW, I remember recommending you the samsung since you have the WDTV? Couldn't you have waited? ;)

Actually I was told by many shops, including a Samsung Store that 450b units are not available and some story about how Samsung is going off making Plasmas and I was running out of patience..

They had 430 units, which I did not want. Also the prices being quoted were not 6k higher but more like 8 to 10k higher. I think Delhi prices are consistently higher than other cities. I do like the single glass look of the LG over the Samsung.

My cousin is thinking of buying a BenQ 47" full HD lcd for about 41-42k. Has anyone heard of this TV? The price certainly seems good.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back