Crown XLS 2002 for HiFi with Elac Speakers?

samgurung

Hi All,

While on a discussion on another topic in the one of forums here, I was recommended the crown XLS amps as a way to add a power amp to drive my front two speakers of my HT setup. I thought I should start a separate thread so that others who did not see that discussion and have had experience with crown amps can chime in. I am pretty happy with the HT sound but was looking to upgrade the music experience by adding a power amp to the chain. I current have a Marantz NR1509 (they have front LR pre-outs) driving my Elacs ( front are Elac b6.2 ). Would love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Any inputs will be much appreciated!

For my 2 channel stereo, I am powering my Quad S2 speakers with the Crown XLS 2502 with a FX-Audio tube pre. Am pretty happy with it.

Have used the xls 1502 , 2502 and the Emotive A300 power amp with Elac UB5 bookshelf speakers.
Frankly the elacs were just crappy speakers. I got them after reading rave reviews of them all over a few years ago but they always sounded as if they were under a veil and there was a thick piece of cloth on them while playing.
You really need a very high end power Amp/integrate amp to bring the best out of them which defeats the whole purpose since they are midfi speakers to start with. YMMV.

Have used the xls 1502 , 2502 and the Emotive A300 power amp with Elac UB5 bookshelf speakers.
Frankly the elacs were just crappy speakers. I got them after reading rave reviews of them all over a few years ago but they always sounded as if they were under a veil and there was a thick piece of cloth on them while playing.
You really need a very high end power Amp/integrate amp to bring the best out of them which defeats the whole purpose since they are midfi speakers to start with. YMMV.
Have not heard the ub5s but the b6.2 sound pretty darn good for the money. good bass and midrange. the top end may be a tad bright for some

Last edited:
Elac B 6.2 s sound well with my Denon 2600 AVR..

Elac B 6.2 s sound well with my Denon 2600 AVR..
I ve heard the debut 2 B6.2. To me they were average at best and at par with other speakers from the category.
The UB5 was marked as a giant killer. A 500 USD speaker capable of beating 1000 USD plus speakers. But if one needs a 1500 USD Amp to drive them good it defeats the whole purpose of buying a 500 USD speaker in the first place.
Their power hungry nature is well known.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back