Curious 115v/230v issue (Arcam Delta 290p)

mirage807

Hi All

After doing some research, I've decided to buy a (second hand) Arcam Delta 290p power amp. Now the amp is for the American market and there's a "110v" sticker over the power socket.

However, the specs in the amp manual state that it can handle "230V/115V +/- 12% mains voltage". The seller says that there is a way to convert it by a "special modification" on the electronic board and transformer (but he doesn't know the details).

So, is this something I can try myself (I can handle a soldering iron)? Anyone else attempt something similar? Is there a reputed hifi dealer/repair shop (preferably in Bangalore or Mumbai) you could suggest whom I could ask if they could handle the modification? Is there a robust 230v to 115v step down transformer available at a reasonable price? Any other advice?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Regards
Mirage

Hi All

After doing some research, I've decided to buy a (second hand) Arcam Delta 290p power amp. Now the amp is for the American market and there's a "110v" sticker over the power socket.

However, the specs in the amp manual state that it can handle "230V/115V +/- 12% mains voltage". The seller says that there is a way to convert it by a "special modification" on the electronic board and transformer (but he doesn't know the details).

So, is this something I can try myself (I can handle a soldering iron)? Anyone else attempt something similar? Is there a reputed hifi dealer/repair shop (preferably in Bangalore or Mumbai) you could suggest whom I could ask if they could handle the modification? Is there a robust 230v to 115v step down transformer available at a reasonable price? Any other advice?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Regards
Mirage

Mirage

Dont try any thing your self , You have to use a step down transformer which is available for Rs.3500/- ( the price of these step down transformers various depending upon the capacity).
The other option is you can ask the service man to convert the 110 transformer in the amplifier to 240.

If there is a 115 Volt sticker over the power socket, then it can only accept 115 volts. I guess when the specs say '230V/115V +/- 12% mains voltage', what it means is that the unit can handle 230V OR 115V, either of them with an input variation of plus minus 12%. Only when it says '115-230' volts does it mean it can accept both voltages.

Cheers

Back