*** Custom Clerance and Procedures...!! URGENT ****

rakheelavigne

Team,

One of my friend is coming from US and i am willing to get a sub woofer (Klipsch R12SW). This is ~23k INR (345 USD) and weighs 16KG. This would be as a extra baggage and I am ready to pay all the extra stuff.

Still need to convince him :confused::confused: So asking all the silly questions so i can clearly make him understand that its ok to carry this for me :eek:hyeah:

However, need some help on customs and clearance formalities in Indian airports while transit.

Here are my few queries...!!

1. How to deal and clear the customs procedures??
2. Are there any objections and extra taxes levied on this item, during transit? Will there be any negotiations or arguments ??
3. Any loop holes to clear the customs with out extra charges? Plzz mention :)
4. How to answer if any of the customs officers ask about the item?
5. Stuff like sub woofers which are usually heavy,will they be handled with care are thrown like the normal baggage at the airports?

FIRST OF ALL IS IT WORTH TO GET THIS SUB FROM ABROAD WITH MUCH EFFORT :confused::confused::confused::confused: The same sub is at a selling price of >60K here..

:clapping: Gone through some threads and some master minds got amazing stuff bypassing customs :clapping: requesting your inputs

Any help or info on this is highly appreciated and is urgent at this moment.. plzzz shed some light ...:signthankspin:

Thanks,
Rakesh

Not worth it at all, if you directly order from the dealer and pay the customs through courier, it will cost far less than 60K.

$345 MRP
let's assume you will give max. 50% Custom + Handling fees = ~170
EMS = $30

Total = 345 + 170 +30 = $545 = 545 * 70 = INR 38,150

So, you will end up spending max. ~ 40K.

Hope this will help u in your decision.

. Depends what other DUTIABLE items your friend is carrying the current Duty free limit per trip is around 50K. The customs guys are usually smart enough to know what the item is and its value* they can easily check online now). It also depends on the customs officer on duty/ assigned to your baggage. Some a friendly and lenient and some , especially if they have other problems on their mind, can be BAD!!!!
The extra baggage weight cost will make it not worth the effort.
and yes, at any given airport- it will be tossed around casually.

So unless you friend is coming home permanently change of residence and has a shipping container to bring your sub - as the earlier poster said, it is not worth it.

There are used SVS subs available in our forum within a reasonable pricing.

I am sure they will be better than the Klipsch. So why bother importing it?

In case you do get the sub, just keep the bill handy to prove that you are within the 50k limit. Otherwise, you might face problems. As an added precaution you can check online what the custom rates on subs actually are, in case you do end up paying the customs duty. Take a look at this.

Customs Import Duty of subwoofer black in India
Customs Import Duty of subwoofer black under HS Code 85182900
85182900 : Other
Description Duty
Basic Duty 10.00
Education Cess 2.00
Secondary Hiigher Education Cess 1.00
Contravailing Duty (CVD) 10.00
Additional Contravailing Duty 4.00
Additional Cess 0.00
National Calamity Contigent Duty (NCCD) 0.00
Abatement 35.00
Total Duty 26.50

So duty should be 26.50%. So roughly about 6k in duty.

Should not be a problem other than the hassle of actually carrying it. Btw am planning on doing the same, either an amp or speakers, and am leaning towards getting an amp for carrying convenience.

Also, I don't get the argument of buying some of this stuff here. Warranty issues may arise but for the price differential it seems worth the risk. The amp I wanna buy retails for bout 24k there and 50k+ here, speakers retails for about 18k there and 30k plus here. There is a world of difference to the meaning of "audiophile on a budget" there and here.

Hi,

Not worth the trouble. Better to purchase here in India if you want proper after sales service and warranty!

I recently got my Klipsch RP160M BS & RP 440c center both from different places thru my friends... I paid excess baggage charge too, but that wasn't much when compared to price here... So i took the risk of buying it...

My friend had taken enough care to make a special wrap for $20 US for the BS, but that didn't help.. There were some dents & bruises on the box, but nothing to the speaker's..

Same with center channel too, Even-though it was handed over to special counter in Airport and with a tag " Handle with care", you can't help the handling part in transit...

If it is substantial saving, i would suggest you to consider any speaker than a subwoofer as it has a inbuilt amplifier and as other FM suggested tossing around might not help...

High chances of damage..

Good luck on your purchase..

As long as your friend carry the bill for the item, he can negotiate on the customs. If he doesn't carry a bill then customs officer is on his own to speculate the price (believe me they are very bad at it)

Regards
Bilal

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I bought my Deftech Sub from the US. Didnt have to pay excess baggage as it was the second piece of luggage (US allows for two and it was less than 23kgs).

Didnt pay any duty, although I had my invoice ready to show. Typically, customs has its own price list which it will refer and not necessarily the price you paid. If something is low value <50k, they typically dont bother.

So keep the invoice ready. Declare it in customs and tell them its a subwoofer (speaker) and it should be fine.

For the excess baggage, costs can be high depending upon the airline, but you get it cheaper if you buy excess baggage in advance.

Hi

If you friend faces a bad experience, it will affect the friendship.....keeping in mind all the pros and cons...costs, weight, 110v etc...take a call

Sharing my experience:

I carried two used speakers packed in a cloth. It was a nightmare for me.

For one I was to stay for 8 hours at a transit airport and had to recheck the speakers.

Since it has amagnets in it chances are that they will be unpacked and checked and packed back in the best of their efforts by US security agency. Proof of checking is that I had found US security checked cards dropped in the packages.

Customs will not be an issue if it is less than 50 k they will not bother to ask.

But carrying a non standard item might be an irritant to you friend.

Not worth it at all, if you directly order from the dealer and pay the customs through courier, it will cost far less than 60K.

$345 MRP
let's assume you will give max. 50% Custom + Handling fees = ~170
EMS = $30

Total = 345 + 170 +30 = $545 = 545 * 70 = INR 38,150

So, you will end up spending max. ~ 40K.

Hope this will help u in your decision.

@music4mhell

Thanks for the reply :clapping:

Yepp changed my decision as getting this as a extra baggage is risky as my friend is coming from an onsite assignment and he has lots of stuff so definitely getting mine too will be a problem and it will be definitely a hawk eye for customs officers.. As suggested by other FM members I will look out for alternatives...

There are used SVS subs available in our forum within a reasonable pricing.

I am sure they will be better than the Klipsch. So why bother importing it?

@Vinod Thank you..

Changed my mind and looking for some used subs or buying it here locally :)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back