Custom tariff & calculations!

Anyone have any idea what's the custom duty on electronic components like resistors , capacitors , transformers , etc.?

I believe import duty had been cut to zero in 2004/2005 - not sure if it has been reinstated since.

I have tried at the customs site but was unable to find any info on current applicable rates (if any).

Hi,

You can see in the second link, it is 16% plus other taxes. You can check the same in the below link and use ctrl+F and type resistors, transformers, and you will get the rate.

http://www.cbec.gov.in/excise/cx-tariff0910/chap85.pdf

Also, it depends on the value of the items you import. Usually items that are less $200, marked as gifts, do not attract customs, but the duty is at the discretion of the assessing officer.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi,

Hi All, as per the latest normals, a gift sent via courier from other countries not exceeding Rs. 5000 will not attract any tax.

I strongly advise all the members who are importing items from other countries to thoroughly look into the documents for duties, breakups, the percent of tax calculated, before paying the custom duties. Also, question your shipping companies and insist them to give you details with breakup on the duties and other charges before paying them the duties. For the items we buy normally, pertaining to things in Hifivision (excluding other items), one should not be taxed for more than 35% at most.

This is really imperative and the reason why it is so will be posted next week.

Cheers!

Hi,

Please find the excel tool which will help you calculate nearest possible duty.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Duty Calculator.xls
    17 KB · Views: 110
Hi,

Please find the excel tool which will help you calculate nearest possible duty.

Cheers!

Dont think the Excel is accurate. Last time I imported audio electronics pcb and parts with goods marked at $225, the duty paid was 1900/-.

Edit: This one shows a different value.

Cheers

Last edited:
Dont think the Excel is accurate. Last time I imported audio electronics pcb and parts with goods marked at $225, the duty paid was 1900/-.

Edit: This one shows a different value.

Cheers

Hi,

This excel has a base tax rate of 7.5%, it differs from items to items and we have to change that alone and the value of the item according to the rates in the pdf docs attached in my eariler posts.

For example, a laptop will have a different customs duty than the projector and there is no tax for household sewing machines, as per the customs duty chapters.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi,

For those who want to arrive at a precise customs duty calculation, follow the link and choose the correct product description and key in the value of the product in INR and you have the duty.

Online Form | Duty Calculator | UNeDocs

Cheers!

Where the heck is the code for Blu ray discs? I clicked Browse and I see a bunch of stuff. into which bracket does it fall into? Also does importing ~130 dollars worh of BluRays into India attract customs/duties?

Hi All, as per the latest normals, a gift sent via courier from other countries not exceeding Rs. 5000 will not attract any tax.

I strongly advise all the members who are importing items from other countries to thoroughly look into the documents for duties, breakups, the percent of tax calculated, before paying the custom duties. Also, question your shipping companies and insist them to give you details with breakup on the duties and other charges before paying them the duties. For the items we buy normally, pertaining to things in Hifivision (excluding other items), one should not be taxed for more than 35% at most.

I've recently imported an amplifier kit. It cost me INR 8800 including shipping, Bank charges etc & arrived by US Priority mail / Indian Post Office. Postman collected Rs. 668/- as customs which works out to 12%

I was happy till someone said that imports of upto Rs. 5k are not taxable.For goods costing more than 5k, tax is only for the amount exceeding Rs. 5k. Is this true?

"I was happy till someone said that imports of upto Rs. 5k are not taxable.For goods costing more than 5k, tax is only for the amount exceeding Rs. 5k. Is this true?"

Regarding your query Captain,

Actually, I aint sure whether I mentioned anywhere in my post. It only applies for gifts and items costing less then 5000K, but again it is at the discretion of the assessing officer. In worst case, scenario, even if tax is levied for an item costing 4.5K, it would be the basic duty of 10-12%.

Tax is for the original value of the item and shipping charge and not only for amount exceeding 5000. So, for e.g., if you are buying an item costing 6K with some shipping charges, the duty will be for the entire 6K+shipping charges and not only for the difference of 1K.

I am no expert in this, but have done a number of imports and gone through the chapters when required.

Cheers!

Actually, I aint sure whether I mentioned anywhere in my post.

Hi Venkatesh,

Thank you for your clarification regarding the tax applicable.

Actually, it was not you that I was reffering regarding the tax part.

It was someone else who said that cost of goods upto 1st 5k is not taxable.
I understand that you have clearly stated that tax is exempted for goods upto 5k only for gifts.

Hi Venkatesh,

Thank you for your clarification regarding the tax applicable.

Actually, it was not you that I was reffering regarding the tax part.

It was someone else who said that cost of goods upto 1st 5k is not taxable.
I understand that you have clearly stated that tax is exempted for goods upto 5k only for gifts.

thanks for clarifying, Captain! Actually, the slab was 10K up until a few months or a year ago.

Cheers!

Indian Customs is unpredictable and sometime nuts.

yesterday i had to pay a customs fee of 70 rupees for an item which is worth 3.5$, which i got as a free sample.

couple of months ago i received an item worth 50k rupees with customs charging me nothing.

Dear Gadgetizens!

Please be kindly informed that:

"Notification No. 27/2010-Customs dated 27.2.2010 provides exemption to motion pictures, music, gaming software (for use on gaming consoles), printed or recorded on media falling under headings 3706 or 8523, from so much of basic customs duty, additional duty and special additional duty of customs as in access of duties that would be leviable of the value of the goods were equal to the aggregate of the cost of the carrier medium and freight and insurance
2. A doubt has been raised by certain importers whether the aforesaid exemption applies to import of content by a television broadcaster on a medium covered under Chapter heading nos. 3706 and 8523 owing to the use of expression motion pictures.
3. The issue has been examined. The term motion pictures is a generic term for making a distinction between moving pictures and still photograph and does not refer to the end use of the content captured on a medium.
As such, the reference to motion pictures in Notification No. 27/2010-Customs dated 27th February 2010 is not limited to movies" or feature films alone and extends to any audio visual content recorded on cinematographic films, Betacam /U-matic tapes, Masters, Stampers, VCDs and DVDs. It is therefore clarified that the term motion pictures referred to in Notification No. 27/2010-Customs dated 27th February 2010 includes audio visual content of all kinds like feature films, advertising films, documentaries, television content, news films etc. and is not restricted to feature films or movies alone."

I have posted this for your convenience, as some of us may find it difficult to chase the link and give it a read.

Cheers!

Disclaimer: The above contents are taken from the web site: Central Board of Excise and Customs.

I imported a couple of Axiom speakers (Fedex was the courier) and the overall charges (paid to Fedex) were close to 25%. I will give the breakup when I find the Fedex invoice.

Hi Kumar,
I'm on the verge of placing an order for Axiom's from the factory (Canada) where they have offered to ship it to India, Bangalore. Could you suggest if this is the best and cheapest way of importing. Also please let me know the customs and other charges that I would have to bare and if I need to make all of the payment to Fedex (duty and Vat) at the time of order.
Are you happy with the Axiom's( what model) and what receiver have yo paired them with?

Regards,
Amit

I have a query regarding customs duty on the stuff we carry into india.
if we walk through the green channel carrying stuff costly more than 25k how is the duty calculated if caught? Extra over 25k or on the entire cost of the item?

Hello Gurus,
I just bought a Onkyo HT 5400 , It is a 7.1 setup weighing almost 36 K.g.

i got it for 378 US dollars, which is a great deal, 1/3rd price of india.

I have my cousin and family coming to india.

option A

can they open the box and put 2 speakers each in their bags
Also AVR in other bag.
there are 4 to 5 people coming , at different times within a month or three months.

Get the woofer packed ( please suggest the packing of woofer)

or

option B

should they not open the box and bring the original bill invoice of amazon , which clearly states the price in us dollar , it is 378 dollars.

according to me , they should not charge any custom duty as it is valued less than 25000/- actually less than 20000/-Rs. 18350 to be precise.

I shall be obliged if u can throw some light .

according to me if they open the packing and carry units in different luggage bags, i can save custom duty ,

or is option B advisable.

they are coming to india in different dates, 1 or 2 people at a time.

in total they may have 8 units of luggage to carry with them.

I am a newbie , this is my 1st home theatre.

what shall be the custom duty , if applicable.

thank u and regards.

Hello anybody home :)
Just kidding
folks please help me to figure out the most tax efficient method to bring my 5400 as posted in the reply before this.
waiting for experts who have good experience of mumbai customs:confused:

Back