Cylindrical Vs Box Enclosure

bijinmb

Can anybody got experience in building cylindrical enclosure loudspeaker design?

Please provide your experience on building such designs parameters like

1. The challenges you have faced?
2. Acoustic property?
3. Tuning for low frequency?
4. Resonance?
5. Damping?
6. Minimizing Standing waves?
7. Driver alignment.
8. Sealed or vented design.
9. Tight volume constraint design.
10. Improving efficiency.
11. Disadvantages as well.

Can anybody got experience in building cylindrical enclosure loudspeaker design?

Please provide your experience on building such designs parameters like

1. The challenges you have faced?
2. Acoustic property?
3. Tuning for low frequency?
4. Resonance?
5. Damping?
6. Minimizing Standing waves?
7. Driver alignment.
8. Sealed or vented design.
9. Tight volume constraint design.
10. Improving efficiency.
11. Disadvantages as well.

try to contact HFV member goldyrathore. i remember he has done cylindrical enclosure for woofer using flexi-wood

I hope the OP will not consider it OT to extend the same question to triangular enclosures? Isosceles vs Equilateral?

Why was the OP only thinking in circles? ;):eek:hyeah:

--G

@soundnovice
I have made the cylinder and all, but its a diff. story when i placed the drivers for testing purpose. So thought just to ask in HFV to improve further.

I am building with HDPE (High density polyethylene) pipe having 18mm thickness which i found best material for doing this. But i just want to know whether we need to do any special arrangement inside the enclosure like damping etc because i personally think standing wave will be bit more in cylindrical design...

I am building with HDPE (High density polyethylene) pipe having 18mm thickness which i found best material for doing this. But i just want to know whether we need to do any special arrangement inside the enclosure like damping etc because i personally think standing wave will be bit more in cylindrical design...

i think damping will be necessary. have a look at Linkwitz's Pluto. also at below link which is clone of Pluto.
Gainphile: Linkwitz Pluto ... sewer pipe omni-directional loudspeakers

Anybody have any links or any information regarding the adv. and dis. adv.or cylindrical enclosure? Mainly need the engineering details which we can collect altogether and post, so others might find it useful in the future as well.

Bijin if you do some research using "sonotube subwoofers" as astarting point you might find a lot of info w.r.t to subwoofers. I dont think there are too many commercial designs apart from Linkwitz' designs that use cylindrical enclosures.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back