DAC for Tablet

shrayv

I am in the process of buying a Nexus 7 which i will be installing in the car.

Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100 - $369
AudioQuest DragonFly Asynchronous USB Digital-Audio Converter - $249
HRT Streamer II - $142
Arcam rPAC USB/Headphone DAC - $249.00

What do you think of the above DACs? All the above except the Cambridge DACMagic doesn't require an external power supply.

Are there other DACs in the price range of less than $300?

Cheers

Last edited:
All of them are an overkill for a CAR. I seriously doubt the system in the car will be resolving enough. I would go for something cheaper.

Better still, an iPod with a dock.

HRT Streamer II - $142

What do you think of the above DACs? All the above except the Cambridge DACMagic needs a external power supply.

You mean that of all the above DACs, only the DacMagic needs an external power supply, right?

You mean that of all the above DACs, only the DacMagic needs an external power supply, right?

Yes. That's what I meant to write. Have updated the OP.

Looking for valuable inputs.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

All of them are an overkill for a CAR. I seriously doubt the system in the car will be resolving enough. I would go for something cheaper.

Better still, an iPod with a dock.

Absolutely agree to the above. external DAC is an overkill for car setup. Whatever damping you do, you will not be able to make out the subtle differences which the DAC will bring out.

Directly hook up the tablet using bluetooth to the stereo head unit. If bluetooth feature is not available in your current head unit then upgrade it first.
This setup will be much more convenient and will be very much listenable for a car stereo.

A DAC in a car will only help is you have atleast upgraded the speakers and done some damping in the door speakers and added some great rear ones with decent amplification. The ODAC will only work with a powered USB in case you use it with the iPad.

A DAC in a car will only help is you have atleast upgraded the speakers and done some damping in the door speakers and added some great rear ones with decent amplification. The ODAC will only work with a powered USB in case you use it with the iPad.

@Audiodoc - that is the plan. I plan to use an android tablet (most probably a nexus 7 considering the price). I haven't purchased anything yet. Just want some opinion before I make the purchase.

The system is going to be planned like

Tablet (nexus 7 for now) > DAC > amplifier (2/4 channel) > speakers.

Will the ODAC work with an android tablet?
Considering the $50 price difference between the ODAC and the HRT Streamer II, which one would you recommend?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The ODAC is great VFM at 6000 bucks however your car needs a powered USB. Qualitatively it is great.

Sorry I am slightly laid back on this issue, I initially though of a 6K-10K tablet with a decent DAC for the music set up. Now I withdrew because my understanding was Android 4.0 ICS doesn't support USB audio. Is it the Android 4.1 jelly bean which supports USB audio or new apps for ICS have enabled USB audio?
my requirement is a tablet that can connect 11g or 11n WiFi router (connected with a windows 7 PC) with decent speed. micro HDMI will be a bonus if it does 1080p flawlessly. I am not into games, chat, internet calling, GPS, superfluous apps etc.

so I have my internet+home network established through a 11n router

1. connect music collection in 11g/n WiFi mode, 54Mb/s upward speed is just fine for me
2. use of USB DAC
3. use micro HDMI for 1080p films, again via 11g/n
4. occasional browsing, again using the same 11g/n connection.

my budget for the tablet is around 6K-10K, I will use nuforce uDAC, suggest me some tablets

I am in the process of buying a Nexus 7 which i will be installing in the car.

HRT Streamer II - $142

What do you think of the above DACs? All the above except the Cambridge DACMagic doesn't require an external power supply.

Are there other DACs in the price range of less than $300?

Cheers

One of my friend is using HRT Streamer in his fiesta and extremely happy with the result. You can read his build log in Gearheads.

Oh and about the DAC making difference in car audio..it does make a difference. Absolutely without a doubt in a well planned installation and quality equipments.

One of my friend is using HRT Streamer in his fiesta and extremely happy with the result. You can read his build log in Gearheads.

Oh and about the DAC making difference in car audio..it does make a difference. Absolutely without a doubt in a well planned installation and quality equipments.

I'm on gearheads too. Read Mi10's thread and got inspired to try out something similar.

Need some recommendations between the ODAC ($99), Schiit Modi ($99), HRT Streamer II.

Cheers

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back