DAC input issue

eddie_fox

Hi all,

I am sorry if this is a noobish question, but I am struggling to find a way out of this, so had to ask:

My brother bought me a DAC from abroad, as a surprise gift. It is a rather generic one, and I am not familiar with the make. I tried connecting it to my laptop, which has most of my music, but the DAC has only two input modes - Optical and a single Co-axial female. It has a switch for these input changes.

However, my laptop has only a standard 3.5mm out and also an HDMI out. I have no idea how to use the DAC for these output points. Is there maybe a 3.5 to co-axial converter? or a 3.5 to optical? or an HDMI to optical/co-axial converter?

Any suggestions on how I can use the DAC with my laptop?

Thanks,
EF

some laptops give digital out on the stereo (or was it mic) jack, and it can be switched using software. If you dont have this on your laptop, you cannot this dac (u will need a usb dac). Check your laptop specs.

You can also use a USB to Co-ax converter.
Online Shop CM6631A Digitizer Converter Assembled USB To Coaxial And Optical(SPDIF) And I2S 24bit 192kHz YJ116|Aliexpress Mobile

This is just an example - I have not used it. What this does is, it takes audio out of your laptop USB port (USB cable needed) and converts it to a co-axial out. You can then send this to your DAC with digital coax cable. I have no idea what your sound is going to be like.

USB converters for audio are available at costs up to $3000 plus. But for a simple laptop based setup the link I have given might be all that's needed.

Regards.

Last edited:
HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC ES9023 96Khz/24bit

This is a DAC which can also act as a USB to Optical converter.

Jags, the product that you have suggested is a USB DAC (USB digital input & 3.5mm earphones analogue output)

The OP already has a USB DAC with him and he just needs a USB to S/PDIF converter like the one suggested by FM Nikhil

Any suggestions on how I can use the DAC with my laptop?

Eddie, if you google on the net you will find many USB converters available from different manufacturers ... You can choose one according to your need & budget .. Check out the following product ... A very good dual-purpose unit for its price ... It has the USB to S/PDIF (Coaxial) output for your DAC and a earphone/headphone analogue output for personal listening :)

Amazon.com: MUSE USB DAC PCM2704 Sound Card Optical Coaxial Decoder USB to S/PDIF Converter: Electronics

Cheers

I used to have a laptop which also had an optical out (not advertised) in the 3.5mm socket. I had to use this to convert optical to mini optical which fits in 3.5mm socket. You can give it a try.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for your tips and advice. A fellow FM came to my rescue and offered me a simple USB run DIY circuit device to convert to co-axial into my new DAC.

However, the sound quality has not greatly improved from my previous setup of '3.5mm headphone out from laptop straight to RCA input on amp (without DAC). So, wonder if it was worth all the trouble.

Anyway, I can't look a gift horse in it's mouth.. so no problem. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Ta,
EF

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back