DAC/ Pre-amp before a receiver?

anm

Hi,
I have an onkyo 595 receiver that has 75wpc in 8ohms 20-20k htz. I think it has adequete power to drive a pair of jbl n38 floorstanding speakers.
Since I am currently not sure on what all should I purchase, from where should I purchase and saving for a real hi-fi, in the meantime would it help to

1. add a DAC (beresford 7520) @ ~10k. It will also be useful to pull computer audio on USB
2. add a tube lyrita pre-amp that I can get second hand.

and use the receiver as just a two channel amp.

Is it possible? Is it worth it?

regards

Why are you trying to do this? what is that you think is missing in terms of the sound quality. DACs don't simply make the audio better. It takes more than that.

what do you listen to?

Also if you get a pre-amp then you need a power amp and and AVR is not one. So there is additional spend.

Hi,
I have an onkyo 595 receiver that has 75wpc in 8ohms 20-20k htz. I think it has adequete power to drive a pair of jbl n38 floorstanding speakers.
Since I am currently not sure on what all should I purchase, from where should I purchase and saving for a real hi-fi, in the meantime would it help to

1. add a DAC (beresford 7520) @ ~10k. It will also be useful to pull computer audio on USB
2. add a tube lyrita pre-amp that I can get second hand.

and use the receiver as just a two channel amp.

regards

I am sure I am missing a lot of things, but don't know what all. So wanted to experiment with tube pre-amp.
I agree that AVR is not a dedicated power amp, but it sure has a power amp contained in the same chassis.
I know it takes much more to make the audio better, and as I mentioned, more things will be added later, including dedicated power amp. For now, my question is in context with this particular setup.

regards

Why are you trying to do this? what is that you think is missing in terms of the sound quality. DACs don't simply make the audio better. It takes more than that.

what do you listen to?

Also if you get a pre-amp then you need a power amp and and AVR is not one. So there is additional spend.

Yes. It depends.

In most cases, a preamp or DAC would add that sparkle to your sound from CDP. However once it passes through the receiver, the Onkyo will definitely add its sonic signature to the original preamp/dac signal.

So Im not sure how you are going to benefit from this setup. But you can always try it out - arrange a home audition or borrow the components from a fellownut. If you do find it sounding better than the existing setup, you have a winner!

Best regards.

Yes. It depends.

In most cases, a preamp or DAC would add that sparkle to your sound from CDP. However once it passes through the receiver, the Onkyo will definitely add its sonic signature to the original preamp/dac signal.

So Im not sure how you are going to benefit from this setup. But you can always try it out - arrange a home audition or borrow the components from a fellownut. If you do find it sounding better than the existing setup, you have a winner!

Best regards.

I think the Pure audio mode can take care of this....right? if there is a pure audio mode in the 595 receiver you should be hearing only the Preamp / DAC signal.

Still the amp is the same onkyo.

Since we are not talking about a top end reciever here, an entry level avr just cant compete with a dedicated amp. May be a CA or Marantz could have fit the bill. Again, its all relative.

I agree with all of you. Please understand that I agree that there is no competition between a power amp and an avr.
Given this system, adding the components I have mentioned can be cheaper than upgrade of speakers and power amp.
And I think upgrading speakers should be done before power amp. What do you guys suggest.

no, pre-amp is not needed. That DAC has inbuild pre-amp. In case you want to put another pre-amp in the chain, there is line level out from the DAC.

regards

no, pre-amp is not needed. That DAC has inbuild pre-amp. In case you want to put another pre-amp in the chain, there is line level out from the DAC.

regards

abt DAC- What does preamp meen?Is it only volume control or adding Tone control?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back