DAC & Pre-amp for Mission QX-2 MKII speakers

samyboy_jssp

Hi Friends,

I have recently bought Mission QX2 speakers from Hifimart and also the AIYIMA A07 power amplifier which has been rated by many as a VFM amplifier.

Am on the lookout for pre-amp + DAC combo to complete the chain.

I already have a signature acoustics Phoenix Bluetooth receiver that I intend to use to stream music via Bluetooth (I believe this also has an optical / coaxial out) via mobile (VLC Player) and an old pioneer DVD player to play my CD’s via optical / coaxial outs on the DVD player.

My budget is around 20-25K including cost of interconnects.

Couple of options that I was looking at were :-

1) Topping E30-II with volume control and remote but doesn’t seem to have bass + treble controls (Maybe need to manage EQ via VLC app).
2) Topping DX3 Pro+ - Seems to be a DAC + Headphone amplifier. Can it be used as a DAC+ pre-amp ?
2) Per my discussion with Anil (Hifimart) he had suggested to go with AIYIMA D03 Integrated Amp + DAC (Can this work with AIYIMA A07 as a pre-power amp combo, I am not sure)

For interconnects I already have Blue Rigger Coax and Optical cables.
For speaker cables Anil had suggested to go for DAC 16 AWG & for RCA connects folks in the forum suggested to go for Mr Murthy’s cables.

Are these interconnects fine for my usage or should I be looking at something else?

Can I request forum members to provide their valuable inputs and guidance regarding my queries ?

Regards
Sam

I am using the Aiyima A07 too, the chain is WiiM Mini aux out > Aiyima > Kef Q150

why do you need a pre amp? asking cause when I tested the Aiyima just as a power amp it was sounding very different, I prefered the way it sounded without pre amp.

Topping e30 is a good DAC or even a e50 would fit your budget. I wouldn’t bother to add a pre amp.

Hi Friends,

I have recently bought Mission QX2 speakers from Hifimart and also the AIYIMA A07 power amplifier which has been rated by many as a VFM amplifier.

Am on the lookout for pre-amp + DAC combo to complete the chain.
Hi Samy,

Some things that you need to know off the bat - a DAC can also function as a preamp if it has a volume control.

The Topping E30 has a volume control but not bass and treble. It is excellent VFM because of the combination of connectivity+SQ.
I already have a signature acoustics Phoenix Bluetooth receiver that I intend to use to stream music via Bluetooth (I believe this also has an optical / coaxial out) via mobile (VLC Player) and an old pioneer DVD player to play my CD’s via optical / coaxial outs on the DVD player.
That's an excellent Bluetooth receiver and better than the ones you get inbuilt on most budget active speakers such as Edifiers or Swans/Hivi.
My budget is around 20-25K including cost of interconnects.
For interconnects and speaker cables on a budget, I'd whole heartedly recommend Mogami or DAC Silverstreak (the DAC copper offerings are okay but Silverstreak is in a league of its own).

Couple of options that I was looking at were :-

1) Topping E30-II with volume control and remote but doesn’t seem to have bass + treble controls (Maybe need to manage EQ via VLC app).
2) Topping DX3 Pro+ - Seems to be a DAC + Headphone amplifier. Can it be used as a DAC+ pre-amp ?
As alluded to above, E30 is a more VFM product and par for the course for the Mission QX-2.

Anything over and above that would be a waste of money as the gains would be minor/negligible.
2) Per my discussion with Anil (Hifimart) he had suggested to go with AIYIMA D03 Integrated Amp + DAC (Can this work with AIYIMA A07 as a pre-power amp combo, I am not sure)
Since you already have an amplifier in the Aiyima A07, makes no sense whatsoever since the preamp/DAC section will be built to a cost and hence, will not provide any sonic benefits.
For interconnects I already have Blue Rigger Coax and Optical cables.
Good enough
For speaker cables Anil had suggested to go for DAC 16 AWG & for RCA connects folks in the forum suggested to go for Mr Murthy’s cables.
12 AWG instead of 16awg is better. Lower the guage, thicker the wire and hence, better for longer transmissions.

However, don't go for 10awg as the speaker/amp terminals may not be able to accommodate such a thick wire.
Are these interconnects fine for my usage or should I be looking at something else?
They'll be fine i suppose. Don't have any experience with Mr.Murthy's cables.

Lastly, if you're not bothered about connectivity and want to stream only through Bluetooth, look at the Ifi Zen Blue.

If it's only USB, look at the Ifi Zen DAC V2 as i found out to be ever so slightly better than the Topping E30.

However, the Topping is a better VFM proposition in my books because of the myriad inputs it offers. On pure SQ terms, the Ifi is the winner in my opinion.

If you want tone controls as well as scalability with your DAC, my pick would be the Chord Mojo.

Your current speakers and amp won't be able to take full advantage of it but it's better than most chi-fi DACs to my ears when the speakers and amp are upgraded, if at all.

All impressions posted above are after living with the above-mentioned products after a considerable period of time.

I am using the Aiyima A07 too, the chain is WiiM Mini aux out > Aiyima > Kef Q150

why do you need a pre amp? asking cause when I tested the Aiyima just as a power amp it was sounding very different, I prefered the way it sounded without pre amp.

Topping e30 is a good DAC or even a e50 would fit your budget. I wouldn’t bother to add a pre amp.
Thanks for the response Amrut.

How would one handle bass and treble controls ? Would these be handled by the
I think buying the E30 / E50 DAC with inbuilt volume knobs (remote has volume controls) would suffice.
Probably no need to add a pre
Hi Samy,

Some things that you need to know off the bat - a DAC can also function as a preamp if it has a volume control.

The Topping E30 has a volume control but not bass and treble. It is excellent VFM because of the combination of connectivity+SQ.

That's an excellent Bluetooth receiver and better than the ones you get inbuilt on most budget active speakers such as Edifiers or Swans/Hivi.

For interconnects and speaker cables on a budget, I'd whole heartedly recommend Mogami or DAC Silverstreak (the DAC copper offerings are okay but Silverstreak is in a league of its own).

As alluded to above, E30 is a more VFM product and par for the course for the Mission QX-2.

Anything over and above that would be a waste of money as the gains would be minor/negligible.

Since you already have an amplifier in the Aiyima A07, makes no sense whatsoever since the preamp/DAC section will be built to a cost and hence, will not provide any sonic benefits.

Good enough

12 AWG instead of 16awg is better. Lower the guage, thicker the wire and hence, better for longer transmissions.

However, don't go for 10awg as the speaker/amp terminals may not be able to accommodate such a thick wire.

They'll be fine i suppose. Don't have any experience with Mr.Murthy's cables.

Lastly, if you're not bothered about connectivity and want to stream only through Bluetooth, look at the Ifi Zen Blue.

If it's only USB, look at the Ifi Zen DAC V2 as i found out to be ever so slightly better than the Topping E30.

However, the Topping is a better VFM proposition in my books because of the myriad inputs it offers. On pure SQ terms, the Ifi is the winner in my opinion.

If you want tone controls as well as scalability with your DAC, my pick would be the Chord Mojo.

Your current speakers and amp won't be able to take full advantage of it but it's better than most chi-fi DACs to my ears when the speakers and amp are upgraded, if at all.

All impressions posted above are after living with the above-mentioned products after a considerable period of time.
Thanks a ton @DB1989 for the detailed line by line explanation. This was truly exhaustive and extremely helpful for a newbie like me. Thank you very much for the well needed clarity and for sorting out my confusion. Due to the connectivity capabilities provided by E30, I am inclined to go ahead with purchasing the same.

Thanks Amrut for providing clarity regarding aiyima A07 as well.

Currently purchasing all components. Will post my impressions once setup is ready. Thanks.

I have the qx2 Mk2 and the best pairing sound wise are those dacs which tend to be on the sharper side. It really helps balance out the smoothness of qx2 and jolts it awake. So i would recommend the e30 for that. It's a clinical sounding dac

I have the qx2 Mk2 and the best pairing sound wise are those dacs which tend to be on the sharper side. It really helps balance out the smoothness of qx2 and jolts it awake. So i would recommend the e30 for that. It's a clinical sounding dac
In that case, Chord DACs should pair well. They've got the right amount of bite and make details pop without sounding clinical. Might be a bit overkill though.

In that case, Chord DACs should pair well. They've got the right amount of bite and make details pop without sounding clinical. Might be a bit overkill though.
Took a plunge with the Mission QX-2 Mk-ii. Will post my impressions with the Topping E30, Ifi Zen DAC, Chord Mojo and the RME ADI-2 DAC FS very soon. (all different DAC chips i.e. AKM, Burr Brown, FPGA and ESS - if that matters).

maybe not actually. the speakers are almost a chameleon when it comes to pairing equipment, and essentially needs much higher priced electronics chain to get to its full potential.

maybe not actually. the speakers are almost a chameleon when it comes to pairing equipment, and essentially needs much higher priced electronics chain to get to its full potential.
In that case, I'm in luck 😃

This is my second pair of QX-2s (i had the mk-i as well) and I've found it to be quite affable with budget gear as well. 🙂

Last edited:
In that case, I'm in luck 😃

This is my second pair of QX-2s (i had the mk-i as well) and I've found it to be quite affable with budget gear as well. 🙂
Yes they play well with almost everything, and it also improves with better gear. It's a hidden gem and for the price, it's a no brainer really. Built really well as well. HFM was offering it at 25k which was a blind deal. IMO it should be priced at around 50k or even a bit higher if I'm honest.

Yes they play well with almost everything, and it also improves with better gear. It's a hidden gem and for the price, it's a no brainer really. Built really well as well. HFM was offering it at 25k which was a blind deal. IMO it should be priced at around 50k or even a bit higher if I'm honest.
Don't give the seller ideas. Thank your lucky stars there are still incredible speakers available for not so incredible money 😋

Took a plunge with the Mission QX-2 Mk-ii. Will post my impressions with the Topping E30, Ifi Zen DAC, Chord Mojo and the RME ADI-2 DAC FS very soon. (all different DAC chips i.e. AKM, Burr Brown, FPGA and ESS - if that matters).
I'm guessing 🤔who the lucky person is this time. Any buddy getting engaged or an anniversary ?? Jus kidding .Will be waiting for your impressions about them. Cheers.

I'm guessing 🤔who the lucky person is this time. Any buddy getting engaged or an anniversary ?? Jus kidding .Will be waiting for your impressions about them. Cheers.
😂😂😂 I was referring to the very same pair i’d mentioned much earlier. Haven’t been home in over a month so yet to execute my plan - give them a proper and righteous burn-in and see how they stack up against some more established competition (at least price wise) before bidding them adieu.

😂😂😂 I was referring to the very same pair i’d mentioned much earlier. Haven’t been home in over a month so yet to execute my plan - give them a proper and righteous burn-in and see how they stack up against some more established competition (at least price wise) before bidding them adieu.
😁Cool.....do make it a point to pen down ur feedback of the Mk2. You get down to even nitty gritty stuff n i more than enjoy reading n discerning what uve written ( even between the lines🤣,)cheers.

Still waiting for your impressions man... 🙂

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back