Dac recommendation for betted synergy with system

One question regarding the Swara. Looking at this diagram of how it operates
http://acousticportrait.com/images/Lge/m2rpi_an.jpg

That means that like Auro if there is an issue with the dac connecting to the wifi for some reason, then I will need to have the dac and speakers close enough to the router. That won't work for me. :(

Also just to clarify to this has no typical USB, coax, or optical inputs in case wifi is erratic or conjested?

I have both Arcam irDac II and Chord Mojo. Mojo has the sound signature very close to what you have described. Highs are rolled off with wonderfully liquid mid range and very well defined bass. Whereas, irDac II is very detailed yet quite musical with slightly deeper and taught bass than Mojo. Dynamics wise both are very close with a slight edge going in favour of Mojo. Mojo is ideal for hours and hours of listening but I prefer the irDac II for its details and neutral tonality. For your requirements I would suggest you to have an ear for the Chord Mojo.

Last edited:
For lush mid range and sweet highs, a tube can do wonders which no DAC can do, even expensive DACs. I may be wrong but that's what i think. I felt so after getting Tube Buffer in the chain. Yaqin CD3 is the name.

Sent from my SM-N750 using Tapatalk

That description of the Mojo sounds almost exactly what I need and especially since you're comparing it with the Irdac which I am considering too

For lush mid range and sweet highs, a tube can do wonders which no DAC can do, even expensive DACs. I may be wrong but that's what i think. I felt so after getting Tube Buffer in the chain. Yaqin CD3 is the name.

Where did you buy the Yaqin from and how much was it?

13k plus 1k customs
From amazon.com
Seller is Shenzenaudio. This seller ships to india. Others don't. Shipping free.

One question regarding the Swara. Looking at this diagram of how it operates
http://acousticportrait.com/images/Lge/m2rpi_an.jpg

That means that like Auro if there is an issue with the dac connecting to the wifi for some reason, then I will need to have the dac and speakers close enough to the router. That won't work for me. :(

Also just to clarify to this has no typical USB, coax, or optical inputs in case wifi is erratic or conjested?
Hi,

Why the Swara Pi DAC could not detect wifi in my home, is still a mystery to me. I initially thought its pi 2 inside which does not come with built in wifi. In fact auto detection of Pi version shows it's Pi 2 and not Pi 3. This is strange as Siva told it's Pi 3 and he tested the built in wifi feature and it worked for him. My modem and pi is placed close enough and a lan cable can directly be connected. Hence non working built in wifi was not a big deal for me. But for you if you really need wifi, you can always but a wifi adapter which is about Rs 150 on Amazon.

A operational issue, I face, which I do not know if is particular to this Pi, is that Rune audio doe not detect Pi streamer for first 5 minutes after bootup. Siva confirmed he faced this problem too.

Navigation to music though Rune is not very friendly for people who used Foobar so long. Placement of "back" button on top left is an inconvenience for going back to root folder every time you need to browse. The common tendency of back button of phone will get you out of Rune application.

Thanks
Auro

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Hi,

Why the Swara Pi DAC could not detect wifi in my home, is still a mystery to me. I initially thought its pi 2 inside which does not come with built in wifi. In fact auto detection of Pi version shows it's Pi 2 and not Pi 3. This is strange as Siva told it's Pi 3 and he tested the built in wifi feature and it worked for him. My modem and pi is placed close enough and a lan cable can directly be connected. Hence non working built in wifi was not a big deal for me. But for you if you really need wifi, you can always but a wifi adapter which is about Rs 150 on Amazon.

A operational issue, I face, which I do not know if is particular to this Pi, is that Rune audio doe not detect Pi streamer for first 5 minutes after bootup. Siva confirmed he faced this problem too.

Navigation to music though Rune is not very friendly for people who used Foobar so long. Placement of "back" button on top left is an inconvenience for going back to root folder every time you need to browse. The common tendency of back button of phone will get you out of Rune application.

Thanks
Auro

Thanks for clarifying on the wifi issue. Connecting the wifi adapter if it works then it good. I certainly can't have my router and audio setup near each other in my house. Were you trying to connect on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

I am ok with Rune so that shouldn't be a problem. However the lack of usb, coax, optical inputs in addition to the streaming is a bit of a problem.

Thanks for clarifying on the wifi issue. Connecting the wifi adapter if it works then it good. I certainly can't have my router and audio setup near each other in my house. Were you trying to connect on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

I am ok with Rune so that shouldn't be a problem. However the lack of usb, coax, optical inputs in addition to the streaming is a bit of a problem.

Kindly note, "lack of usb, coaxial, optical" ... Is not a correct statement. Just curious what other digital forms of input ports will we be left with if we leave all of these three. Obviously there is usb input ? But i agree lack of optical and coaxial or sdif may be your concern. But remember the streamer is Pi based. Kindly look for Thyaga DAC if you need all three digital input ports, buts that's 3 times costlier and of different class altogether.

For Wifi, Siva email me and called me. He thinks there must be some mistake in my wifi config, or the os on the pi needs upgrade. He offered to visit my home to fix that. He mentions he tested wifi feature and he is sure the built in wifi shod just work. Now how many commercial players offers a home visit to understand customer's problems with their product, even after knowing it's not a big deal and is a quick fix with 150 rupees usb adaptor.? I highly recommend Acoustic Portrait Swara )Pi based dac. Just my opinion though

Thanks
Auro

Kindly note, "lack of usb, coaxial, optical" ... Is not a correct statement. Just curious what other digital forms of input ports will we be left with if we leave all of these three. Obviously there is usb input ? But i agree lack of optical and coaxial or sdif may be your concern. But remember the streamer is Pi based. Kindly look for Thyaga DAC if you need all three digital input ports, buts that's 3 times costlier and of different class altogether.

For Wifi, Siva email me and called me. He thinks there must be some mistake in my wifi config, or the os on the pi needs upgrade. He offered to visit my home to fix that. He mentions he tested wifi feature and he is sure the built in wifi shod just work. Now how many commercial players offers a home visit to understand customer's problems with their product, even after knowing it's not a big deal and is a quick fix with 150 rupees usb adaptor.? I highly recommend Acoustic Portrait Swara )Pi based dac. Just my opinion though

Thanks
Auro

Thanks for elaborating. I assumed based on the description on the AP website that the usb was only to attach a hard drive or pen drive with files on it for playback. I did not realize it could also be used as a USB input to connect the DAC as an audio device to a PC/laptop like conventional DACs. This is good to know and sufficient for my needs.

Yes the service from Siva sounds great and quite commendable. I wasn't able to make it on Saturday to hear the Swara but plan to do so this week.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back