DACs that do tone and timbre right

Wanted to pitch in my 2 cents on the r2r dacs I have had the fortune of trying in my system i.e. Denafrip Ares II , Soekris 1021 R2R(#rd or 4th rev), Holo Spring 1 L1, Metrum Acoustics Jade(owned for a very short duration), Sonnet Morpheus & Audial Aya 5 . , so IMO this is how I would rate them for my chain/experience (genres of music I listen to is pretty much varied , don't listen to Carnatic, western classical , metal , electronic music). This is a very subjective take and purely based on the listening experience for DACs I owned.
i) Bass - Sonnet Morpheus ~ Audial Aya 5 > Holo Spring 1 >> Jade > Ares II > Soekris
ii) Mids (Vocal Tone) - Audial Aya 5 > Sonnet Morpheus > Jade >> Soekris > Holo Spring 1 > Ares II
iii) Mids (Forward to Recessed) - Ares II > Jade > Soekris ~ Audial Aya 5 > Sonnet Morpheus > Holo Spring 1
iv) Timbre - Audial Aya 5 ~> Sonnet Morpheus > Jade ~ Holo Spring ~ Soekris > Ares II
vi) Treble Energy/Sparkle ( Sparkly to smoothened ) - Holo Spring 1 > Audial Aya 5 > Sonnet Morpheus > Soekris > Jade >Ares II
vi) Soundstage Width & Depth - Sonnet Morpheus ~ Audial Aya 5 > Holo Spring > Soekris ~ Jade > Ares II
vii) Microdetails , Layering of instruments - Sonnet Morpheus > Audial Aya 5 ~ Holo Spring > Jade ~ Soekris > Ares II

The above observations were using a fairly resolving headphone chain and are relative to one another so the sparkly highs in r2r here might still not suffice for some and vice versa. Also goes without saying the synergy is chain dependent and there is no one size fits all for dacs.
Golden ears. Wow, to be able to rate these DACs with that detail, excellent

Wanted to pitch in my 2 cents on the r2r dacs I have had the fortune of trying in my system i.e. Denafrip Ares II , Soekris 1021 R2R(#rd or 4th rev), Holo Spring 1 L1, Metrum Acoustics Jade(owned for a very short duration), Sonnet Morpheus & Audial Aya 5 . , so IMO this is how I would rate them for my chain/experience (genres of music I listen to is pretty much varied , don't listen to Carnatic, western classical , metal , electronic music). This is a very subjective take and purely based on the listening experience for DACs I owned.
i) Bass - Sonnet Morpheus ~ Audial Aya 5 > Holo Spring 1 >> Jade > Ares II > Soekris
ii) Mids (Vocal Tone) - Audial Aya 5 > Sonnet Morpheus > Jade >> Soekris > Holo Spring 1 > Ares II
iii) Mids (Forward to Recessed) - Ares II > Jade > Soekris ~ Audial Aya 5 > Sonnet Morpheus > Holo Spring 1
iv) Timbre - Audial Aya 5 ~> Sonnet Morpheus > Jade ~ Holo Spring ~ Soekris > Ares II
vi) Treble Energy/Sparkle ( Sparkly to smoothened ) - Holo Spring 1 > Audial Aya 5 > Sonnet Morpheus > Soekris > Jade >Ares II
vi) Soundstage Width & Depth - Sonnet Morpheus ~ Audial Aya 5 > Holo Spring > Soekris ~ Jade > Ares II
vii) Microdetails , Layering of instruments - Sonnet Morpheus > Audial Aya 5 ~ Holo Spring > Jade ~ Soekris > Ares II

The above observations were using a fairly resolving headphone chain and are relative to one another so the sparkly highs in r2r here might still not suffice for some and vice versa. Also goes without saying the synergy is chain dependent and there is no one size fits all for dacs.
This post is that upgrade bug that bites anyone reading this post.:cool:

MaSh

Ha ha. Well timbre and depth perception are two main chords selling propositions. From the little of what I have heard(Dave and mojo 2), they both belong here.
So true. With the Mojo2 working as the dac and feeding the Wilsenton R8 to Falcons LS35A. I feel I now have the type of music that I always wanted. To me this is the closest to a human being singing for you in your room.

Thanks @ajuvignesh and @heliumflight ...the ROHM chip is definitely garnering praise. Looks to be used in the newer Luxman D-0X series of CD players too. The online impression about this chip is a realistic and analogish sound. Was just curious how you both found the tone and presentation to be. If it is musical and not analytical, Iam willing to do more research and maybe pull the trigger on this.

Thanks again :)

I have not listened to much dacs before. But d300 is natural and very musical. It has lean bass though if I’m not wrong. Also the dynamics is okay okay to my liking. May be it is my entire chain. But as far as musical experience go, this thing targets my heart. Very soothing sound.

I have not listened to much dacs before. But d300 is natural and very musical. It has lean bass though if I’m not wrong. Also the dynamics is okay okay to my liking. May be it is my entire chain. But as far as musical experience go, this thing targets my heart. Very soothing sound.
Correct observation. This dac lacks attack but soothing sound.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back