Dali opticon 6 vs quadral chromium style 8 vs q acoustics concept 40

Ashwin84

Which one to buy and why?
Auditioned all three and personally liked quadral chromium style 8 more than the other two. But still in dilemma whether to pull the trigger.

Which one to buy and why?
Auditioned all three and personally liked quadral chromium style 8 more than the other two. But still in dilemma whether to pull the trigger.

Hi your ears are the best judge :)
So everyone here will advise going with the quadral. If you want more specific advise, then you will have to share the rest of your audio chain :)

Hi your ears are the best judge :)
So everyone here will advise going with the quadral. If you want more specific advise, then you will have to share the rest of your audio chain :)
Currently running tannoy mercury v 5.0 speakers , kef q400b sub and marantz sr 7005 receiver.
Thinking about replacing fronts only and adding a power amp to drive those fronts.
Will running 4ohm speakers with rest 8 ohms setup will be ok?

Currently running tannoy mercury v 5.0 speakers , kef q400b sub and marantz sr 7005 receiver.
Thinking about replacing fronts only and adding a power amp to drive those fronts.
Will running 4ohm speakers with rest 8 ohms setup will be ok?

Yeah different impedances dont matter. The avr will adjust for the output levels anyway. Since you are planning on adding an external 2 channel amp as a power amp, it will have a certain bearing on the sound quality coming from the front L&r speakers. However , the sound quality will still be largely determined by the pre amp stage in the avr .

In case you go for a integrated with HT bypass, then in pure stereo mode the pre amp stage of the integrated amp and the dac being used will influence the sound quality

So if you go for the above mentioned integrated, then that has to suit whatever speakers you choose, to give you the sound signature you like. This will give you flexibility in choosing any of the 3 above speakers, as you can search for matching integrated amp next.

However if you are going for a pure 2 channel poweramp, then the sound quality will largely depend on the dac and pre amp stage of the marantz. And in this case, it has to match the sound signature of the marantz

Since I don't know your listening preferences , I cannot suggest which amongst the 3 will suit you. That is something you have to audition to find out for your selves. Besides, I've never heard quadral speakers. But I would suggest adding the monitor audio silver series to your list, and it sounds good with the marantz as pre amp.

Though I personally use concept 40's with my marantz sr6011 and a external 2 channel amp. It suits my listening habit. But it wouldn't be for everyone:)

Yeah different impedances dont matter. The avr will adjust for the output levels anyway. Since you are planning on adding an external 2 channel amp as a power amp, it will have a certain bearing on the sound quality coming from the front L&r speakers. However , the sound quality will still be largely determined by the pre amp stage in the avr .

In case you go for a integrated with HT bypass, then in pure stereo mode the pre amp stage of the integrated amp and the dac being used will influence the sound quality

So if you go for the above mentioned integrated, then that has to suit whatever speakers you choose, to give you the sound signature you like. This will give you flexibility in choosing any of the 3 above speakers, as you can search for matching integrated amp next.

However if you are going for a pure 2 channel poweramp, then the sound quality will largely depend on the dac and pre amp stage of the marantz. And in this case, it has to match the sound signature of the marantz

Since I don't know your listening preferences , I cannot suggest which amongst the 3 will suit you. That is something you have to audition to find out for your selves. Besides, I've never heard quadral speakers. But I would suggest adding the monitor audio silver series to your list, and it sounds good with the marantz as pre amp.

Though I personally use concept 40's with my marantz sr6011 and a external 2 channel amp. It suits my listening habit. But it wouldn't be for everyone:)
The dac on marantz is preety good . Only thing i am concerned about is adequate power while in stereo .
Regarding the concept 40, i liked them too but quadrals were on different level. Trust me.
If i were to give a rating then
Quadral chromium style8 would be 9/10
Dali opticon 6 would be 8/10
Q acoustics concept 40 would also be 8/10.

The dac on marantz is preety good . Only thing i am concerned about is adequate power while in stereo .
Regarding the concept 40, i liked them too but quadrals were on different level. Trust me.

That's great...glad the quadral are sounding so good. Yeah the concept 40's are quiet old now. And I think speaker advancements have overtaken them. Any idea how much is the going price of the quadrals. Though my setup is a complete qacoustics one, so won't be sticking something in from a different brand, as it will off set the balance I presently have. But still curious :)

The marantz in my opinion are safe sounding. They dont do anything wrong, and nor do they do anything exceptionally well. So if you have a particular taste in music that you are aware of. Then there are kit that will excel at that single thing. Just my 2 cents anyways

As already mentioned, since you already liked the quadrals. Maybe safer to go with them.

That's great...glad the quadral are sounding so good. Yeah the concept 40's are quiet old now. And I think speaker advancements have overtaken them. Any idea how much is the going price of the quadrals. Though my setup is a complete qacoustics one, so won't be sticking something in from a different brand, as it will off set the balance I presently have. But still curious :)

The marantz in my opinion are safe sounding. They dont do anything wrong, and nor do they do anything exceptionally well. So if you have a particular taste in music that you are aware of. Then there are kit that will excel at that single thing. Just my 2 cents anyways

As already mentioned, since you already liked the quadrals. Maybe safer to go with them.

So i finally went with dali opticon 6 fronts and center. Quadrals were a bit on the expensive side (35k more)Plus in my next audition, didn't find quadrals better then the dali's . They were on par with each other. So for almost the price of quadrals fronts, i got dali opticons 6 and center (LCR).
Now looking for a good deal on a power amplifier to match with those fronts for better stereo.

So i finally went with dali opticon 6 fronts and center. Quadrals were a bit on the expensive side (35k more)Plus in my next audition, didn't find quadrals better then the dali's . They were on par with each other. So for almost the price of quadrals fronts, i got dali opticons 6 and center (LCR).
Now looking for a good deal on a power amplifier to match with those fronts for better stereo.

Hearty congratulations on your purchase :)

Fondly hope they give you years of musical bliss. Heard that Dali match really well with yamaha amps. I have a friend living in the uk. He was driving his option 6 with yamaha as2100, then upgraded to option 8 and yamaha as 3000. Dont know if those integrated amps are available in India or not. Anyways all the best, and please keep us posted with your amp auditions too. Will be interesting to follow your journey. Iam already excited :)

Will be putting accoustic panels soon behind the speakers to absorb some of those boomy bass.
Already i can see day n night difference in comparison to my tannoy v4's.
Listening music with a smile on my face. Worth every penny spent so far.

Back