dali

guyz

i think Dali guyz must be very impressed if they see this thread...hehe

anyways...
i cant agree to many of u guyz...

i dont knw Bala listens to Indian Classical or Western Classical..
but if u compare both of them, there is a Heioooooooooozzzzz difference between both of them...
so if u r talkin about the indian classical, then m sorry IKON doesnt perform on that range...
Same u hear the Shivamani, Kenny G, ABBA, The Carpenters, Delhi-6, Pandit Jasraj...
i heard them all from my collection...
and to be very frank i am not impressed with it...
The IKON series is good, but only for a selected moods, yes Western Rock is one of them, maybe some Western Classicals as well...

To be very frank Dali n Dyna were the first ones in the higher range i started with...tht time Dali was good for its price but now, i see a lot many competitors with better quality...

Well the person who listens to the Kharma Grand Enigma priced at $1,000,000.00 (Only one system made)...

...will find the Ikon Helicon a mass market manufacturers run of the mill product.

It's all relative!

Agree with you there ;)

No offense man :eek: I am a classical listener and I will not recommend the Ikon for classical. There are reasons for this. I agree that it is a very popular loudspeaker and it sounds quite nice with most genres.I actually recommend it to lots of friends who are non-classical listeners. At this price range, there are others which does a better Job of the (classical) genre.

Last edited:
Getting the best out of Indian classical is a huge challenge given the quality of recordings (I have seen very, very few engineered to be played in a home environment decently). To me, this really is the weakest link not considering some cheapo CD or DVDP that plays this.

In such cases none of Totem, Sonus Faber, Dynaudio or Dali's will make it sound good.

Western classical is much better produced and engineered and I definiltely do accept that there are better speakers than Dali that will do justice.

However, the Dali's are nothing to sneeze at and when setup well do play western well (I have heard very little western through them so take my point with a bag of salt).

I would advice Bala to auditoin Dali's along with others like the Usher, B&W, Dynaudio or Totems and make a call.

Side Note : Last I heard ABBA, Carpenters were not considered to part of classical. So will leave at that.

We sell the Dali, MA and Usher among others so take my comments keeping that in mind. The Dali were popular speakers for us, that is until we started carrying the Ushers. I never realised that the Ikon 6 have had so many reviews - thanks to Unleash for posting them. I looked at Stereophile and the reviewer is not hearing everything that JA's measurements have shown, it could possibly be that he is using an AR tube amp. For example -

"Fig.3 indicates that the dome and ribbon tweeters are balanced a couple of dB too hot"
- this is very audible and it can come across as better resolution, sharpness or clarity :D

"The impedance traces are broken by some minor discontinuities in the midrange that might indicate the presence of cabinet resonances of various kinds. Using a plastic-tape accelerometer, I did find a very strong resonant mode on the sidewalls at 410Hz. This mode could also be detected, though at lower levels, on the rear and top panels. It's possible that this mode is sufficiently high in frequency to "fall between the gaps" in Western music"

Anyway, everyone's tastes are different, if I look at the Ikon 6, I dont think too much of their cabinet construction, their xover point
I admit that the Dali designer is far far more experienced than anyone in this forum and knows what he is doing :D the point simply is that being a big manufacturer their parts to price ratio is going to be huge - they have to rely on a lot of advertisement. There is only so much one can do. All things being equal, I am sure everyone will admit that better parts should translate to better performance...
In any case, anyone interested should listen to them and judge for themselves.
I will admit I have a harder time when someone asks me (and I get this about 30% of the time) - "I saw that Dali Ikon 6 (or another best buy) has been rated 5 star, I want the best speakers for this price range...shall I buy the Ikon 6?" :)
I will admit that its good for business but its more the result of good AD, and ignorance of choices/options that exist out there. Reality is that advertisements can increase awareness and give more options, but ad costs always trickle back into the product cost.

cheers

Agree with you there ;)

No offense man :eek: I am a classical listener and I will not recommend the Ikon for classical. There are reasons for this. I agree that it is a very popular loudspeaker and it sounds quite nice with most genres.I actually recommend it to lots of friends who are non-classical listeners. At this price range, there are others which does a better Job of the (classical) genre.

Oh its totally cool man. It was an impulsive response. Lets just blame it on mood swings:rolleyes: Now when I look back, its funny!

But you know what, its one thing to note the response of an audiophile like you who is actually an end user, but when it comes from a seller I would always take it as a biased opinion, often posted with vested interests, trying to push the product that gives him the most margin. Its pure business; no matter how cleverly put siting prior experience or how much one wants to prove it otherwise.

I hope the commercial members will not take it as personal offense and busy choosing their weapons. :)

I believe healthy arguments are always constructive it stimulates thought and gives us different perspectives to explore. End of the day, if anyone benefits from the thread, I really hope and wish its our Bala. LOL.

Best regards.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back