Decent collection of Rock Music in Bangalore

The problem is there are a lot of titles from big name record companies including SONY and EMI having extremely bad quality cd's (wrt construction).

The only decent ones seem to be the ones with ''IMPORT'' stickers on them (possibly imported?).

However a lot of titles are available only as former one..:(

Very true. That is why I avoid "Made in India" CDs like the plague. You can sometimes tell by the label -- Verve, Telarc, Deutsche Grammophon, ECM, Waterlily Acoustics and so on are definitely not made here so they are a safe bet.

It is not just the Import sticker. You can identify a locally mf'd CD easily with the garbage printed on it -- price (can we get more crass?), contents (!) "One pre-recorded compact disc" (thanks for clearing that up, I thought it would contain a teddy bear), complete address of where it was manufactured "Bunder Road, Sewri, Mumbai!" (good, in case I feel the need to personally visit to compliment them) and other useless facts. Not only do they find a way to disfigure the cover but sometimes skip on liner notes too. And we haven't gotten around to the appalling sound quality yet (what is their master? I'm pretty sure its an off-the-shelf U.S. RBCD).

So to summarise: If you don't mind waiting, ordering online from abroad is the best bet.

Thats great. Could you please let me know what is the process involved in getting the cds here? Are there any duty charges etc? Thanks a ton!

Its easy:
1) Go to Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more or CDconnection.com the best CD/DVD store on the web! and sign up for a new account. (Free)
2) Add the CDs you like to your wish list or directly to your shopping cart and when you check-out, pay with an international credit card.
3) Choose the shipping method that works best for you (cost versus speed) - go with USPS for slow but cheap or a courier like FedEx/UPS for fast but expensive.

There is no duty on Audio CDs, DVDs and books and I have never been charged for the same. Some people have reported being charged duty but I cannot recall details -- it has never happened to me in all these years.

Hi saikat, it's better to buy through cdconnection.com. Cd's are priced less compared to amazon & shipping charges are also less. I bought quite a collection from them. In case of lost shipment, they will replace the item after 3 months, this is not the case with amazon.

Anil

Re: Decent collection of Rock Music in Bangalore

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very true. That is why I avoid "Made in India" CDs like the plague. You can sometimes tell by the label -- Verve, Telarc, Deutsche Grammophon, ECM, Waterlily Acoustics and so on are definitely not made here so they are a safe bet.

It is not just the Import sticker. You can identify a locally mf'd CD easily with the garbage printed on it -- price (can we get more crass?), contents (!) "One pre-recorded compact disc" (thanks for clearing that up, I thought it would contain a teddy bear), complete address of where it was manufactured "Bunder Road, Sewri, Mumbai!" (good, in case I feel the need to personally visit to compliment them) and other useless facts. Not only do they find a way to disfigure the cover but sometimes skip on liner notes too. And we haven't gotten around to the appalling sound quality yet (what is their master? I'm pretty sure its an off-the-shelf U.S. RBCD).

So to summarise: If you don't mind waiting, ordering online from abroad is the best bet.
Totally agree....not to mention that the CD case often has broken bits inside...last Indian made cd I bought was Retrospectacle: The Supertramp Anthology....extremely bright recording...even my wife ( usually not a very critical listener, God bless her) commented on the quality....it says For Sale In India Only...seems only we are fit for these kind of garbage..

The problem is there are a lot of titles from big name record companies including SONY and EMI having extremely bad quality cd's (wrt construction).

The only decent ones seem to be the ones with ''IMPORT'' stickers on them (possibly imported?).

However a lot of titles are available only as former one..:(

I completely agree!! I have bought quite a few CDs in the past few years, and this has turned out to be true about 90% fo the time. CDs with "IMPORT" printed on them are obviously, imported - almost always from the UK. These are good. In fact, I have bought CDs in the USA too, and have always found that the construction quality of those are bad with respect to the European ones.

As far as music sellers are concerned, I have always bought music from a small shop called "Sri Saibaba Cassette Centre" in Malleshwaram Sampige Road ever since I was a child - first music cassettes and then, CDs. The owners are Rajesh and Tarun (they are siblings, and NO, i am not one of them :D), and they know more about music than most people I have met - irrespective of the Genre.

If they don't have the CD you want in stock, they procure it for you. If these guys say that a particular title is not available, it is probably not available in Karnataka.

Enough said, this is the address of the shop (I have their visiting card):

100/107, Jayam Shopping Center, Sampige Road.

E-mail: [email protected]

Phone: 23441348 and 23566747.

Back