Deciding between 3 TV upto 50K

beebwa

Have read thru the forums and viewing 2 out of 4 tvs listed below i've narrowed search down to 3 TV from the following models
LG PQ60R 42 inch @41K or PQ70 at 49.5K
Panasonic C10 d @44K
Samsung B430 49K or 450 @ 52K

As I live in Goa the chances of seeing all models on display are very limited either one of the 2 models are on display and across three different showrooms unlike in the metro cities.
Therefore side by side comparison is very difficult.

I ahev managed to see the C10 at the panny showroom and LG PQ60 at alternate dealer.
The dth signals was better in Panny marginally but as the signal was serially transmitted across 3 tvs the dealer stated picture quality would be better w direct connection.
Could not play DVD as the Player was region locked and would not play my DVD. could not gauge HD playback.
Offered a 3 yr warranty.

The LG produced good colours but was not connected to a DTH transmission.

Samsung 450 was on display but no DTH connect again. was asked to come back next day only to be told 450 sold and 430 as I had requested still not arrived for display. Pls come back.

MY questions and advice request as follows:
Which of the three offer better value on a side sby side comparison
1: PQ for SD transmission as my better half will be using that 75% for viewing time.
2. If we need to connect a external HD which provides beter viewing
3. Which is better for family image viewing
4. Which is better for computer connections.

Pls advice so I can choose my TV before end 2009 as promos are ending on panny warranty.

Thx

this is it now
between samsun 430b and Panny c10

Have to demo both unfortunately due to the lack of large multiple display showrooms HAve to do it separately

Any final advice b4 I decide welcome.

Thx

Hi I would reco panny any day for plasma. Not based on an objective evaluation of the 3/2 models you have listed, but on experience as a panny owner who watches mostly DVDs and digital cable. And on great service experience as well. Also I think there is a 40k promo price onthe c10 under exchange till end of this week.

MY questions and advice request as follows:
Which of the three offer better value on a side sby side comparison
1: PQ for SD transmission as my better half will be using that 75% for viewing time.
2. If we need to connect a external HD which provides beter viewing
3. Which is better for family image viewing
4. Which is better for computer connections.

1) Samsung - Better Colours (18 bit panel) + 100 Hz TruMotion
2) Panasonic for marginally better HD (Horizontal motion resolution is better for HD in panny)
3) Samsung - 18 bit panel produces great stationary images.
4) Panasonic - Better in handling Image Retention. Good for gaming.

1) Samsung - Better Colours (18 bit panel) + 100 Hz TruMotion
2) Panasonic for marginally better HD (Horizontal motion resolution is better for HD in panny)
3) Samsung - 18 bit panel produces great stationary images.
4) Panasonic - Better in handling Image Retention. Good for gaming.

Thanks Blasto
u r a gem buts its 50/50 to both
I don't understand what 18 bit panel advantage is
does the panny not have that?
Raptor says hands down Panny (
Although I agree that Panny are Plasma Favourites in forum too but on PV8 mainly.
Service Goa does not have a Panny service centre.
Don't know how that'll impact on that.
Great strides in technology by all mfg cos
so just one more query:

1. Won't be used for gaming
occasionally my sons PSP2 may be connected or Playstation2 at max that too only at weekends.
2. Also watching images will not be a regular exercise odd monthly if at all but it would be nice to have the facility.
3. What about for viewing movies from a portable hard drive / pen drive etc
In view of above what are your opinions.
4. Today have just been offered the LG PQ60 at 41K is it worth bringing to the equation.

Have only till2moro to decide....Thx

Thanks Blasto
u r a gem buts its 50/50 to both
I don't understand what 18 bit panel advantage is
does the panny not have that?
Raptor says hands down Panny (
Although I agree that Panny are Plasma Favourites in forum too but on PV8 mainly.
Service Goa does not have a Panny service centre.
Don't know how that'll impact on that.
Great strides in technology by all mfg cos
so just one more query:

1. Won't be used for gaming
occasionally my sons PSP2 may be connected or Playstation2 at max that too only at weekends.
2. Also watching images will not be a regular exercise odd monthly if at all but it would be nice to have the facility.
3. What about for viewing movies from a portable hard drive / pen drive etc
In view of above what are your opinions.
4. Today have just been offered the LG PQ60 at 41K is it worth bringing to the equation.

Have only till2moro to decide....Thx

Some facts to help make up your mind.

Samsung and Panasonics are both highly capable plasmas. You won't be dissapointed on both. They differ in certain characteristics and will be slightly better depending on where you use them.

1) Panasonics are no doubt best when it comes to plasma panels. (Not necessarily TVs as a whole)

2) Samsung has one of the best image processing engine in 2009 next only to sony BE3. For SD viewing and DTH, Image processing is more important than panel quality. The 100Hz works great on the samsung along with the image engine.

3) PV8 and C10 do NOT have the same SD capability according to some owners here. I personally have not seen the PV8. What I have seen is the C10 and samsung SD quality is better. C10 had grains but most people in the forum would not agree. Judge yourself.

4) The bit value of the panel refers to how many colour values EACH pixel of the panel can hold. Each value refers to one unique colour thoritically. Most/All LCD panels are 10 bit meaning, each pixel can hold 2^10 = 1024 colours. Plasma panels typically hold >12 bits.

Eg) Samsung panel is 18 bit = 2 ^ 18 = 262144 colour values per pixel theoritically

LG panel is 16 bit = 2^16 = 65536 colour values per pixel.

Panasonics does not advertise the bit values.

What it simply means is samsungs are capable of producing more number of colours. This results in accurate colour reproduction of the scene. Skin colours are more accurate in the samsungs.

Watch the illustration below. Top left LG 16 bit, Top centre Samsung 18 bit, Bottom centre Panasonic. They are not the actual TVs you are interested and are just for illustration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL_2O1p922k

But when people are happy with 10 bit LCDs, It all comes down to preference.

Conversely, CRTs are analog and hence there are no bit values or approximations. They produce the best true colours.

5) Black levels are traditionally great in the panasonic. They curretly make ~12th generation panels vs ~8th generation panels of samsung. Samsungs of 2009 are close when it comes to black levels but panasonics are number 1.

It transforms to better viewing in the dark/night surroundings and better 3D seperation of the images.

6) Horizontal motion resolution is better in panasonic. Watch the illustration below.

Note that the video is cusom made my panasonic for demonstration. In real life, probability of encountering such scenes is feeble. If you notice, The scenes with books is better in the samsung as opposed to the wire diagram with thin lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMIPi9bx1GE

This helps panasonics in gaming (Single person shooter where you turn left right more often which turns the whole screen) and minimal in some F1 race etc.

Again, both these are WAYY better than LCDs in motion resolution.

Happy time deciding. :)

Last edited:
If you are getting all the 3 TVs at almost the same cost, pick up the samsung.

If you are getting C10 for 44k and B450 for 53k, Get the C10.. No second thoughts.

PQ60 is very good VFM for 41k and is the most feature rich. You won't notice much in day to day viewing. They fare great compared to LCDs. night time viewing will be compromised. They fall short compared to other plasma black levels.

Thx Blasta

U r a gem
you could not have put it more succinctly.

May be able to ask a friend to ship Sammy from Blore at 45-46K after I have previewed it here 1st.

Replied to u from other thread.

HNY to you and the Forum Members.

400_F_14711265_j0umAXC9qpSZ7EQws0Fkj3s1zM5V3W2d.jpg

Back