Decision Time - buy local or get from USA (AVR)

vaibhav

Hello there!

After research, personal messages to several of you (thanks for the same), auditioning at a few places in delhi region and then several weeks of not following anything at all on this forum, I have to ask the veterans here last few questions.

I have the option of getting an amplifier from the USA OR I can buy locally - this is decision number one.

The models available on sale are:

1. Marantz SR 4002 (for sale - $349 + shipping local to CA= $360, say about INR 18000). I will add bookshelves for now for about 15K If i go this route to make a 2.0 system to begin with, later add sub and center. I'm not too keen on rear channels due to messy wiring (plus i will have to dedicate a room to it as well).

2. Denon 1709/1909 (for sale from $200 onwards + shipping local to CA, say about INR 11000). I can add better bookshelves here.

My use would be music only to begin with (unless i get a way to get signals out from laptop onto the regular 29 inch CRT that i have). Then it would be 50% music, 50% movies. Also use the same to amplify sound from Tata Sky.

3. Last option, purely afterthought and though i havent auditioned them I'm also thinking about the audioengines. They're well within budget and should fit my needs of attaching to TV / laptop / tata sky box (?). However, i am sure i will get bored since there's no expandablity. So its a one stop and done solution (or not). I've also heard of heating problem withe A5.

I guess the question is, is it worth the money to have an AVR flown all the way here? The prices certainly seem attractive and getting one piece over here would probably not be too bad for the folks coming in. Or do i just buy local?

Do give it a thought and let me know. I have to order by July 10th.

cheers and thanks
Vaibhav

ps sorry for the long post but i was off posting and reading and just got time today to do something about this. :)

If you are on a tight budget, get the AVR from USA and spend the money saved on speakers. However, the amps weigh ~15..20kg (extra baggage charges) and if you are unlucky, customs might be levied in India. You will also need to spend ~Rs2000 for a good quality voltage converter, unless the AVR has voltage conversion. Weigh these factors before taking the call...

If you are on a tight budget, get the AVR from USA and spend the money saved on speakers. However, the amps weigh ~15..20kg (extra baggage charges) and if you are unlucky, customs might be levied in India. You will also need to spend ~Rs2000 for a good quality voltage converter, unless the AVR has voltage conversion. Weigh these factors before taking the call...

and the warranty factor to add.
My general thumb rule is if the price difference in USA (retail price) versus the india retail price (with bill) is less than 40%, i would suggest you to buy in india. If the price difference is over 60%, then i would suggest you buy it from the US

thanks for the response.

I wont have to pay baggage for sure as two people are coming together and they're not shopping for much. These AVRs weigh about 12-15 kgs each max. It's within the duty limit (INR 25K). So the cost is about what i stated above.

However, good point regarding voltage converter + I think given the unreliable supply here i need to get a stabiliser anyways.

Any opinion on the models and prices i have quoted above?
Also I suppose buying locally would get me some service? Or are the imported models dont really get serviced well out here?

thanks again.

<quote>3. Last option, purely afterthought and though i havent auditioned them I'm also thinking about the audioengines. They're well within budget and should fit my needs of attaching to TV / laptop / tata sky box (?). However, i am sure i will get bored since there's no expandablity. So its a one stop and done solution (or not). I've also heard of heating problem withe A5.</quote>

Regarding the AudioEngine A5, you won't get bored, thats for sure (IMHO). And anyways you are not interested in full fledged 5.1, so would surely recommend them. Also, you can add a subwoofer, they have the pre-outs for them and also can connect 2 sources at the same time. About the heating problem, they do get heated, but its not so much of a concern as long as its out of reach of children.

But as always, your decision is what matters......:)

thanks for the response.

I wont have to pay baggage for sure as two people are coming together and they're not shopping for much. These AVRs weigh about 12-15 kgs each max. It's within the duty limit (INR 25K). So the cost is about what i stated above.

However, good point regarding voltage converter + I think given the unreliable supply here i need to get a stabiliser anyways.

Any opinion on the models and prices i have quoted above?
Also I suppose buying locally would get me some service? Or are the imported models dont really get serviced well out here?

thanks again.

The voltage difference is not an issue at all IMO. There are good converters available for not a lot of money and it won't have any effect on the SQ or reliability of the receiver. If it was me in your exact situation, I'd get the Marantz from the US...

vaibhav said:
1. Marantz SR 4002 (for sale - $349 + shipping local to CA= $360, say about INR 18000). I will add bookshelves for now for about 15K If i go this route to make a 2.0 system to begin with.

Hi vaibhav,
I think for your need of 50+50 music and movies, the said AVR and Wharfedale Diamond 9.2(around INR 15K) are excellent choices. The combo is very musical and the 9.2s have enough bass you will not miss a sub.

cheers,
sri

and the warranty factor to add.
My general thumb rule is if the price difference in USA (retail price) versus the india retail price (with bill) is less than 40%, i would suggest you to buy in india. If the price difference is over 60%, then i would suggest you buy it from the US

The delhi street price is 30K INR for the SR4002 (vat paid with bill). This is exactly at the junction point you mention above. What to do now? :( (wait for the $$ to fall :confused:

But the USA retail price in INR works out (at the current exchange rate of 48.5) to 28800. So the retail prices USA is very close to the retail price in India. The special price in USA is about 40% lower - but then i get the US warranty which is useless here.

The india price is over the budget though ...

Last edited:
The delhi street price is 30K INR for the SR4002 (vat paid with bill). This is exactly at the junction point you mention above. What to do now? :( (wait for the $$ to fall :confused:

Dude the money will always come, but time will not. Go ahead and get it. Think of all the missed time till now that you've not enjoyed on this setup. So why delay even more?

related question to marantz / denon AVR - can you hook up all the following to the AVR (and use it as a command central?)

1. Tata Sky
2. Laptop (via external USB sound card) - this is a second laptop that can stay at home all the time.
3. DVD player

- this is a key point that is not offered by the AE solution. If all these can be hooked up, it would save a lot of time in connecting / disconnecting and would be really great value.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back