dedicated processors for HT

If you are looking for a surround processor in 100K bracket, you will not see any major change from what you have today. I would consider that as money thrown away.

If you are looking for a quantum jump in sound processing look for products from Arcam, Parasound, B&K, Lexicon, Rotel, Sunfire, Anthem, or Theta. Believe me, the Emotiva cannot hold a candle to these products. Even a Onkyo's Elite Sound processor will be better than the ones you are looking at.

Parasound is releasing a new sound processor in January and that will a class act. That should be around 2 lakhs in India.

Cheers

I fully second it.
There is no better value in a surround processor/preamp than Rotel. The RSP-1068 I own was available for around 70k a couple of years back from their Mumbai distributor. It is a great processor/preamp for movies and those who don't have a dedicated stereo system will be hugely benefited by the Rotel's clean performance in music. I also have their multichannel amp RMB-1075, another great value for around 60k, driving my center and surrounds. No ordinary receiver will match this type of combo.
Anthem , Parasound etc are equally good but could be pricey.
Finally, don't consider too pricey stuffs from Lexicon, Arcam etc. Believe me, no real value for money here unless you are a dedicated videophile possessing exotic surround speakers.

happy listening and viewing.
murali

In this hobby of ours with time we crave for better and better SQ, and am sure a dedicated processor with external power amps will outbeat an AVR any day
but the users of pre/ processor/external power amps is still to catch up

I have gone the pre/power way , but use an AVR (onkyo 875) as my processor, and am looking to go in for a standalone processor

I request you guys to post links to reviews of the processors you have come across around the budget of under 1, as it cud be helpful to peoplel looking out for dedicated processors

It depends on how you have the setup. If you want the HT processor to be a good stereo pre-amp, then it may be worth going for a high end pre (like Classe, Cary, Anthem or even Krell or Mcintosh). From a'gon You can pick up a used HT processor with 7.1 processing from 400 USD upwards. For around 1000 USD, you may get one with hdmi switching too.
If you have a separate audio and HT setup, I am not sure if you really need a separate pre-power for HT. A good receiver may do well for HT alone.
I have a very old Marantz HT processor (with DD but without DTS) that I use with Rotel power amp. Good for HT. Since I have a separate audio setup I am inclined to go with a good receiver as my next upgrade.

If you are looking for a surround processor in 100K bracket, you will not see any major change from what you have today. I would consider that as money thrown away.

If you are looking for a quantum jump in sound processing look for products from Arcam, Parasound, B&K, Lexicon, Rotel, Sunfire, Anthem, or Theta. Believe me, the Emotiva cannot hold a candle to these products. Even a Onkyo's Elite Sound processor will be better than the ones you are looking at.

Parasound is releasing a new sound processor in January and that will be a class act. That should be around 2 lakhs in India.

Cheers

any comments on the Marantz AV8003, rated quiet high in some forums , also quiet affordable compared to the ones u have mentioned , the actual pricing is quiet high i think it is priced @ 2400USD , but in grey its very much lesser and can be bought without much strain

I fully second it.
There is no better value in a surround processor/preamp than Rotel. The RSP-1068 I own was available for around 70k a couple of years back from their Mumbai distributor. It is a great processor/preamp for movies and those who don't have a dedicated stereo system will be hugely benefited by the Rotel's clean performance in music. I also have their multichannel amp RMB-1075, another great value for around 60k, driving my center and surrounds. No ordinary receiver will match this type of combo.
Anthem , Parasound etc are equally good but could be pricey.
Finally, don't consider too pricey stuffs from Lexicon, Arcam etc. Believe me, no real value for money here unless you are a dedicated videophile possessing exotic surround speakers.

happy listening and viewing.
murali

the rotel pre i think is without HDMI , so will not decode HD audio, correct me

Subhash!!

It seems I missed a lot of action here. You are still suffering from 'Upgraditis'!!
Keep it up!

I don't believe in horizontal upgrades (since I did a few myself:indifferent14:)
Thing is that with these upgrades you don't see much of a difference and you end up throwing a lot of money. Not recommended.
I am not sure if Marantz/ Denon pre would be a big leap from where you are right now. 875 is great pre. We can only find this out by taking a demo in your HT only. Please don't buy anything without a demo. I understand that demo of this gear would be a tough task but that is not an excuse for impulsive purchase.

I shall see if I can arrange something for you to demo.

Cheers!

hi sumit , thanks a lot on that

A dedicated Pre/pro and A 1080P PJ was alaways there in the list, slowly zeroing on
hope the upgraditis shit ends here

forgot to tell u all , i just recieved a Chord sliver plus Hdmi cable 1.5mtrs (sourced from singapore at exacactly half the price quoted here) it replaced my old cheap Daiyo hdmi connecting the BDP to AVR , the changes are definetly noticable in PQ/ SQ, so now what to do, i have to upgrade the 10mtr hdmi running from the AVR to PJ to the Chord ---again upgraditis :mad::mad:

with this 'I wud suggest to all with high end set ups to get good quality HDMI cables, and see what the chages cud do

will try to definetly DEmo the marantz AV 8003 in my set up and post comments

Last edited:
I am not sure if Marantz/ Denon pre would be a big leap from where you are right now.

I don't have much idea about the Marantz 8003, though it does look good. Also look at Integra's DTA 9.4 (Products). This may be a bit cheaper with the same capabilities as the Marantz.

As Sumit has suggested, in this upgrade, you must take some serious steps:

1. Make a list of requirements.
2. Discuss it with us to see if you have missed anything.
3. Short list 4 or 5 products that meet the requirements.
4. Do a price/capabilities comparison.
5. Whittle down to just 2 or 3.
6. Spend a little money and take a demo. I would even suggest you to make a trip to Singapore or Malaysia where you can audition all the products.
7. Order, install, and enjoy.

Cheers

I don't have much idea about the Marantz 8003, though it does look good. Also look at Integra's DTA 9.4 (Products). This may be a bit cheaper with the same capabilities as the Marantz.

As Sumit has suggested, in this upgrade, you must take some serious steps:

1. Make a list of requirements.
2. Discuss it with us to see if you have missed anything.
3. Short list 4 or 5 products that meet the requirements.
4. Do a price/capabilities comparison.
5. Whittle down to just 2 or 3.
6. Spend a little money and take a demo. I would even suggest you to make a trip to Singapore or Malaysia where you can audition all the products.
7. Order, install, and enjoy.

Cheers

hi venkat , thanks again

The DT9.4 seems like a power amp
Basically i am pissed of with the onkyo guys ( u definetly know the reason )

1 -requirements-- by now u definetly wud know that i love raw undistorted power and loudness with HT, this is one area where my onk is failing though its used as pre, and am totally pissed off with those guys for not coming up with anything , i wudnt like to mess around with it on my own ,though the forum says its a simple procedure, the 0nk AVR is a superb one but its failing me with certain discs , this is one area which is very annoying
for this very reason i have used very powerful external power amps ,but the pre seems to be the weak link

my configuration goes as follows

MAIN L/R --vincent SP331MK ( this one is a real power house , it can be taken to any limits without absolute concern) though rated conservatively @150 x 2 @8ohms, bought this after a thorough research

CENTRE-- Carver TFM35X , bridged/mono mode (pumping out abt 400+ x 1 @8ohms) opted for this as it makes the centre channel really stand out bcoz of the extra power it pumps out in mono mode

SL/SR --Carver TFM35X driven in 2 channel mode (250 X 2 @ 8 ohms)

Onkyo 875 as the processor for HT only, sometimes it drives the sorround back spkrs in 7.1 mode
spkr cables and inter connects are all from chord
the Sub is the DEF tech trinity

The difference when driven by the AVR alone and External power amps is felt instantly

am extremly good with this set up, but then there has been some failures , which after all the head scratching have come to the conclusion that the weak link is the processor

and this is with regards to HT only, coz the onk is in no way concerned with music
so the thot of replacing the processor and trying out something new is very strong

2--let me know if i have missed out on any thing
3-- have short listed Emotiva UMC-1 and the MarantzAV8003
4-- price/features the emotiva is the best bet, but marantz has great user reviews and i trust thier products
5--wud not be possible to go all the way for a demo, have to partly depend on user reviews (not the one by reviewer)
6--firmware upgrades of the marantz can be done by the ethernet port, like the BD players by the user so no depending on service guys who have no knowledge
7--as the unit is available for a good price here (actually both are available ,the pre/pro and the mm8003 power block,but i will be opting for only the pre) and the person is willing to send over the pre for trial and if there is an advantage over the onk , i wud be forced to favour it
8--also i have sound proofed my room to get the best benifits but still when things occasionally fail it irritates
9--according to avs forum they compare the marantz unit with the top end denon AVC-1 pre but @ half the cost, and the users say there is a mojor refinement of sound in HT

kindly let me know if i am missing out on anything, also looking forward to meeting u in bangalore

regards , subhash

Last edited:
It depends on how you have the setup. If you want the HT processor to be a good stereo pre-amp, then it may be worth going for a high end pre (like Classe, Cary, Anthem or even Krell or Mcintosh). From a'gon You can pick up a used HT processor with 7.1 processing from 400 USD upwards. For around 1000 USD, you may get one with hdmi switching too.
If you have a separate audio and HT setup, I am not sure if you really need a separate pre-power for HT. A good receiver may do well for HT alone.
I have a very old Marantz HT processor (with DD but without DTS) that I use with Rotel power amp. Good for HT. Since I have a separate audio setup I am inclined to go with a good receiver as my next upgrade.

when u upgrade do go in for an HD AVR/processor the difference in SQ is major

1--what does ---it does not have enough DSP horsepower to support a full 192khz , mean??

2--when u send a signal via the BDP to avr/pre thro hdmi what is the signal called as ? is it bitstrem?

2--when u send a signal via the BDP to avr/pre thro hdmi what is the signal called as ? is it bitstrem?

AFAIK>
LPCM: Decoding at BDP level and multichannel ouput vide HDMI

Bitstream: Decoding at AVR level and sending uncompressed data to AVR from BDP.

Thanks for in the info on their forums. Found the review thread. Here it is:

The Emotiva Lounge - My Visit to Emotiva

Another thread mentioned that Emotiva expects to deliver the pre-orders by end of January, 2010. After this they will be ready for sales without pre-order:yahoo:

Still, there is no confirmed news about the Emotiva UMC-1 processor. There seems to be some further delays because of last minute tweaks and their shipping from China to US. Those who are waiting for the UMC-1 can follow this thread

The Emotiva Lounge - Is there a delay on the release of the UMC-1?

Parasound is releasing a new sound processor in January and that will be a class act. That should be around 2 lakhs in India.

Cheers
Venkat, there is no doubt that the Emotiva surround processor is no match for the products like Parasound, Anthem etc. But these are beyond my budget. The only reason I have been waiting for the Emotiva UMC-1 is that it is a good VFM product that also falls in my budget of ~45k. If this Emotiva Pre-proc does not work out for some reason, I would like to use some other 7.1 HDMI AVR with pre-outs. Can you please suggest a good AVR with pre-outs? This AVR does not need to have a powerful amp section(I will use a multichannel amp), but good preamp section with HDMI switching, DTS MA HD and Dolby Tru HD is a must.

cant believe the inputs from the user of the Marantz 8003 was pretty bad, but there has been no inputs from him (david /dvdmk ) from calcutta

i may be getting the 8003 marantz processor shortly for a day to test it out ,will post inputs if it lands up in my place

In this hobby of ours with time we crave for better and better SQ, and am sure a dedicated processor with external power amps will outbeat an AVR any day
but the users of pre/ processor/external power amps is still to catch up

I have gone the pre/power way , but use an AVR (onkyo 875) as my processor, and am looking to go in for a standalone processor

I request you guys to post links to reviews of the processors you have come across around the budget of under 1, as it cud be helpful to peoplel looking out for dedicated processors

May I suggest the Integra 80.1 or the Onkyo PR-SC5507. They are both identically the same except the onkyo does not support Audyessy Pro. You can import the Onkyo from KEC Singapore.

The cheapest AVR with 7.1 and all the latest audio support and with pre-outs to add an external amp will be the Denon 2310 (Asia version) the US version has it only from 28 series.

Since you are looking at the Emotiva UMC-1, how does it compare to the DVDO edge, seems at a similar price and equally popular. Has probably a better chip (ABT vs. Firroudja).

Take a look at the Denon DN-A7100 surround preamp processor in the link below. Its available from Sahil International for less than Rs80k. Its made by Denon Professional and is really cheap for what it offers
D&M Pro - DN-A7100 A/V Surround Preamplifier

thanks for the link , but this doent seem to have HD audio decoding & 80k without the latest audio decoding isnt impressive though

we just got the emotiva UMC-1 for less than half this price

Ah! I didnt know the Emotiva UMC-1 was finally shipping. If you have it and are already using it, do give your opinion of it. Is it easy to setup and use? How is its audio quality? How does one purchase this unit locally in India

Ah! I didnt know the Emotiva UMC-1 was finally shipping. If you have it and are already using it, do give your opinion of it. Is it easy to setup and use? How is its audio quality? How does one purchase this unit locally in India

havent yet set mine up as yet , will definetly let u know

my friend santhol also from the forum has also got the UMC-1 , we shipped it together via borderlinx

both of us had preordered it on the Emotiva website abt 2-3 months bak ,luckily our allotment of the unit came thro together this month, we arranged for the payment via our bros in US , and as santhol is a citi bank card holder he shipped both the units via borderlinx ,.emotiva ships only to local adress (the units were shipped to border linx in ohio and borderlinx to bangalore thro Fedex)

cost --699$ + 20$ (local shipping to Ohio)+200$ (international shipping)

total amt spent --919$

santhol is one of the very happy user of the Emotiva Umc-1 , i guess it cud be the first unit out here in india , hes very satisfied with it,do chk his review in another thread

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back