Dehumidifiers

oracle1974

Hi
Living in Mumbai, the humidity levels tend to be very high especially in the monsoon time.

Anybody using dehumidifiers to protect your gear and any recommendations on dehumidifiers.

thanks.

Hi
Living in Mumbai, the humidity levels tend to be very high especially in the monsoon time.

Anybody using dehumidifiers to protect your gear and any recommendations on dehumidifiers.

thanks.
Dehumidifiers work well, but if you look at the technic they use for dehumidifying with a fan you may think how come something so simple costs so much. I use them in summer to dry the clothes faster. So it’s anyways not a bad investment. Humidity during monsoon destroys all electronics. Another alternative is to keep them running all the time, so that water won’t condense on equipments

I use a dehumidifier in my room. I keep my AC on dehumidify mode plus keep the standalone dehumidifier running. This helps to bring down the humidity levels quickly. However the dehumidifier makes a hum. Therefore, when listening to music, I switch it off and keep only the ac in dh mode.

I use a dehumidifier in my room. I keep my AC on dehumidify mode plus keep the standalone dehumidifier running. This helps to bring down the humidity levels quickly. However the dehumidifier makes a hum. Therefore, when listening to music, I switch it off and keep only the ac in dh mode.
Thanks for your reply.
Which brand of dehumidifier are you using ?

Dehumidifiers work well, but if you look at the technic they use for dehumidifying with a fan you may think how come something so simple costs so much. I use them in summer to dry the clothes faster. So it’s anyways not a bad investment. Humidity during monsoon destroys all electronics. Another alternative is to keep them running all the time, so that water won’t condense on equipments
Yes agree, keeping them running is something I also do. But this year the rains have been incessant and now do feel a dehumidifier is needed. Thanks.

Hi

thanks.

Exactly same issue. I use Origin 328 as well. Superb works flawlessly and low noise. Buy one size or slightly bigger (or two units) than what's recommended for your room so you'll feel the difference in a couple of hours. My equipment is dry as a bone and happy.

I use GE, Lg imported dehumidifier which I hand carried from for all my paying guest rooms as they all have large screen TV sets in their rooms. 6 years ago, I had an issue in 2 rooms where I had to bear a loss of around 3 lacs Indian rupees, and another 4. 5 lacs on my Yamaha Clavinova digital keyboard where it short circuited on the Mother board due to heavy condensation. For the past 4 years I keep them on and specially for 3 months in the rainy season, and had not got any moisture problems.
The only draw back is to throw away the condensed water every 4 - 5 hours depending on the humidity levels. It is tiresome, so I made and arrangement as to keep it near a sink platform and made a system where water droplets drains continuously and directly in to sink. I do visit the rooms once in a day now.
As for my music room where I also have many other electronics, basically 3 Yamaha electronic organs, and 1 upright piano, I use the Air Conditioning throughout the monsoons with tonnage 0.75 tons tuned to a degree of 23 degrees centigrade. I can see the amount of condensed water draining at a constant speed. This really has stoped peeling of the mirror finish piano. Secondly I could hardly play the piano in the monsoon, as all the hammer keys used to get stuck and would not play very well. Now I am tension free. Remember my room has 2 Air conditioning unit. I brought this low tonnage one as to avoid heavy electric bill for my 8 meter by 7 meter room. The other Air Cool 1.5 tonnage I rarely use when I have visitors.
Let me also mention that my humidity meters read for this rainy season on an average of 86% to 92%. So imagine what will happen to the electronics .
please see as attached today’s humidity while I am posting this reply on the forum

Attachments

• F0B6D110-0938-41C3-B81F-CA816C613B9D.jpeg
    F0B6D110-0938-41C3-B81F-CA816C613B9D.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I use GE, Lg imported dehumidifier which I hand carried from for all my paying guest rooms as they all have large screen TV sets in their rooms. 6 years ago, I had an issue in 2 rooms where I had to bear a loss of around 3 lacs Indian rupees, and another 4. 5 lacs on my Yamaha Clavinova digital keyboard where it short circuited on the Mother board due to heavy condensation. For the past 4 years I keep them on and specially for 3 months in the rainy season, and had not got any moisture problems.
The only draw back is to throw away the condensed water every 4 - 5 hours depending on the humidity levels. It is tiresome, so I made and arrangement as to keep it near a sink platform and made a system where water droplets drains continuously and directly in to sink. I do visit the rooms once in a day now.
As for my music room where I also have many other electronics, basically 3 Yamaha electronic organs, and 1 upright piano, I use the Air Conditioning throughout the monsoons with tonnage 0.75 tons tuned to a degree of 23 degrees centigrade. I can see the amount of condensed water draining at a constant speed. This really has stoped peeling of the mirror finish piano. Secondly I could hardly play the piano in the monsoon, as all the hammer keys used to get stuck and would not play very well. Now I am tension free. Remember my room has 2 Air conditioning unit. I brought this low tonnage one as to avoid heavy electric bill for my 8 meter by 7 meter room. The other Air Cool 1.5 tonnage I rarely use when I have visitors.
Let me also mention that my humidity meters read for this rainy season on an average of 86% to 92%. So imagine what will happen to the electronics .
please see as attached today’s humidity while I am posting this reply on the forum
Thanks for the detailed revert. I have ordered the Origin Norita dehumidifier and hopefully the audio gear will be safe.

I installed this poor man's dehumidifier a couple of days ago around my hifi gear and pc. Obviously much cheaper and incomparable with an electronic dehumidifier. When I checked the product today, to my utter amazement the lower compartment has already started filling up with water in hot dry April hence seemingly efficacious so far. I can only imagine what will happen in June-September!

Don't dry out the air too much. Even dry air is not good for many parts of the system. My advice is to let the music system work frequently. That takes care of most of the problems.

If you have a mold problem in your home, find a solution to reduce the moisture (maybe from some seepage in the walls) which is not always the atmospheric humidity. If you can't find a solution to the mold, then yes, go for a dehumidifier but your health reasons and not for music system.

Don't dry out the air too much. Even dry air is not good for many parts of the system. My advice is to let the music system work frequently. That takes care of most of the problems.

If you have a mold problem in your home, find a solution to reduce the moisture (maybe from some seepage in the walls) which is not always the atmospheric humidity. If you can't find a solution to the mold, then yes, go for a dehumidifier but your health reasons and not for music system.
Dunno about your neck of the woods but I stay 2 minutes away from the arabian sea so we are guaranteed an over-generous supply of salty, humid air 24/7/365. The humidity shoots up substantially during the monsoon which promotes growth of mold and afaic is murder on hifi gear hence the need for these cheap dehumidifiers which imo should help to cut down on residual moisture. They're not a foolproof solution but something is better than nothing.

Dunno about your neck of the woods but I stay 2 minutes away from the arabian sea so we are guaranteed an over-generous supply of salty, humid air 24/7/365. The humidity shoots up substantially during the monsoon which promotes growth of mold and afaic is murder on hifi gear hence the need for these cheap dehumidifiers which imo should help to cut down on residual moisture. They're not a foolproof solution but something is better than nothing.

I have spent a good many years in Managlore, with almost the same weather as your place. My comment was based on my experience there.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back