Demagnetising cassete heads

brejeshvarma

Dear Friends,

I am thinking of Demagnetising my cassette decks.Do you have any experiences?

1.Is it safe to do ourself ?

2.Where do you get it ?

3.What price ?

4.Is it manufacturer specific ?

Thanks

Brejesh

Hi Brajesh,

I used to have a TDK demagnetizing cassette that I bought abroad. Heads need to be demagnetized once in a while and I used that many times on my 3-head cassette deck. Basically one needs to play that cassette for a short time according to instructions. There are clear instructions on the cassette jacket how exactly to do it. I am not sure how to get it in India though. In fact I myself am looking for one right now. If anybody knows, please help.

Regards.

Dear Friends,

I am thinking of Demagnetising my cassette decks.Do you have any experiences?

1.Is it safe to do ourself ?

2.Where do you get it ?

3.What price ?

4.Is it manufacturer specific ?

Thanks

Brejesh

Hi if u have the DMAG then its a very simple procedure and the instructions are simple enough for u to do it yourself.
I am from bbay and i have no clue of kerala availability. I have 2 DMAGs one a TDK cassette type and the other is the old SONY 'padlock' type. U can use any decent one on any tapedeck regardless of make.
I generally lend these to a few friends as there is no need for all of us to BUY. U may request one of your kerala audiophile friends to lend u one OR if thats not possible take it to a HIFI repair store and get it done for a small charge. As cranky said it will definately affect Recording quality and if u let things prolong then even playback will be poor.
Rgds

Thanks to all my good friends for their prompt and useful replies.

I have one doubt.I saw one of NAKAMICHI DECK USERS Manual .It has a list of useful accessories..which include a demagnetiser.It doesnt look like a cassette at all.So I was confused.I remember having seen the demag cassetes in my childhood.

Thanks once again
Brejesh

>I saw one of NAKAMICHI DECK USERS Manual .It has a list of useful accessories..which include a demagnetiser.It doesnt look like a cassette at all.

Does it looks like this ? ;)

img3499q.jpg

Now that you know what you are looking for is Indian made and is/was available, I would encourage you to ask around some of the older electronics shops in your town. I am sure its still available.

Meanwhile, I will visit the shop where I picked up this piece to find if they have more. They had a shelf full of them when I bought it. Will inform you .

I have something like this that I havn't used for years. Someone mentioned to me that it isn't really neccessary. Is that true ? What happens if one doesn't demagnetize the heads ? I can't make out any discernible difference. Sanjay
On the Nakamichi I have felt a significant difference. Possibly because Naks have very precise bias control and depends on every link of the chain to perform at their best.

I have owned brands like Technics, Kenwood, Solidaire and Philips. The effect of demagnetising varied, but all resulted in better recording.

You need to follow the proper procedure while demagnetising. If the sequence is not right then you may end up actually magnetising the head and other metallic parts. Attaching herewith a scan of the instructions leaflet that came with my demagnetiser.

img3511.jpg

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back