Denon 1509/1909 questions

udaji

Hi all! This is my first post!!

I have an ageing Sony MHC-GN77D that I intend to replace with a denon 1909 or 1509. The primary use is watching HD movies played on a dell laptop with hdmi on a Sony LCD TV. Currently I connect the laptop direct to the TV with hdmi cable. The TV is not up to handling the 5.1 audio through hdmi. I have to use pathetic 3mm stereo cables to the sony audio system for sound (stereo only :-( ).

I intend to connect the laptop's hdmi to the AVR instead, which should be able to use the sound through hdmi. The video can go through to the tv through another hdmi cable. I dont need any upscaling.

I also have a phillips 5965 dvd player that I use for sd divx material. It has component/hdmi video outputs and coax audio outs. It can feed the AVR using component/hdmi. Again, the TV's scaling is good enough for me. But I would like upconversion to hdmi so that there is a single (hdmi) connection from avr to tv.

I intend to use the existing 8-ohm sony speakers to start with, upgrading when I can.

So my questions:

1. Will 1509 be able to accept sound through hdmi, but pass through the video to the tv? (I suppose 1909 can do this fine).

2. Will the 1509 carry video (component from phillips, hdmi from laptop) to the tv through the single hdmi cable?

3. I am not too inclined towards Onkyo (though it is supposed to be a little better for movies) because of reports of over-heating. Do you guys (Onkyo owners and Denon owners) have any opinions/suggestions about this? Do Denons really run cool as reported?

If the 1509 can do #1 and #2 (or even just the #1), I dont want to spend the extra cash on 1909. Dont really want the newer audio formats that the 1909 supports, and dont need the 7 channels either..

Have a nice one!

Udaji

Denon 1909 has all options you needed.Denon are 99yrs old company giving good products.
Onkyo complited 62yrs.

Onkyo gives more power,features per price.Heat is the only problem ,otherwise it is very durable.Many peoples are using Onkyo for 7 to 9 yrs(read in AV max)

Denon has service problems in India.

3. I am not too inclined towards Onkyo (though it is supposed to be a little better for movies) because of reports of over-heating. Do you guys (Onkyo owners and Denon owners) have any opinions/suggestions about this? Do Denons really run cool as reported?

As some cheeky reviewer said, the Onkyo gets hot enough to fry eggs on!! But that has never been an issue with my Onkyo. Seems to work fine without any issue. I am adding an AV Cooler from Asus which will completely remove the heating issue.

Udaji, in addition to the Denon and Onkyo, take a look at Yamaha 663. A very nice sounding AVR that does most of what you are looking for.

Cheers

Thank you, guys!

Looks like the 1509 will not cut it. The link Dushie posted says

The AVR-1509s entry-level price doesnt mean that it skimps on connections, but you are more limited in what you can do with them. The inclusion of two HDMI v1.3 inputs on the rear is an obvious highlight, allowing you to switch between two HD video sources, which is a godsend if your TV only sports one HDMI input. However, the unit only passes the video signal and sound through to your TV and wont decode Dolby Digital or DTS bitstreams carried over an HDMI connection. It also doesnt feature 1080p upscaling of SD video sources, so if you need either of these features then youll need to step-up to the AVR-1909, 2309 or 2809.

So apparently the 1509 cannot play 5.1 audio coming in through the HDMI input, the only thing I absolutely must have. :mad:

@venkatcr the yamaha could be one option. Should read up on the specs.

Anybody knows the latest White/Gray prices on 1909 and 663?

I would recommend a 1909 over the 1509. Its better built and sounds sweet. As for the service issues, Denons rarely break down.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back