Denon 1611 or 1911?

vartakavi

Hi Folks. I am a newbie buying my first AVR for our new house. I will be using it 70% for music and 30% for movies. I watch mostly Hindi movies and old Hollywood movies (without surround sound), so surround sound is not a priority. I listen to bhajans, ghazals, indian instrumental classical, soft easy listening music and a lot of Hindi film music (both old and new). No loud music!

My TV room is 16 x 12 with one end open into a large Living / Dining area measuring 26 x 14. The entire area has two openings (no doors) into other rooms. Not the best location for a music system I suppose!

I have learnt a lot after reading the posts in this Forum, thanks to all you experts. I was considering buying a HTIB, but after going through this Forum, I have more of less decided on buying a Denon AVR and Wharfdale speakers. May be I will buy only the two main speakers now and build up the system over time. I am posting a separate query regarding the speakers.

I am trying to finalize the AVR model now. The Denon 1611 has an MRP of Rs.31,900 (with a HDMI cable free) and the Denon 1911 is priced at Rs.45,900 (with an Ipod dock free).

My questions are:

(a) Even with Denon's 100th anniversary offers, I suppose there is room for negotiation -- what street prices can I target for these AVRs in Hyderabad?

(b) I am more than happy with 5.1 sound, and I will not be using the multi-zone feature of the 1911. But I do want to connect my Ipod Touch to the AVR and listen to the songs. I see from the Denon brochure that the 1911 has a front USB port to connect the Ipod. (Of course, I will be getting an Ipod dock free if I buy the 1911 before 31st Oct). No such USB port or facility to connect the Ipod is mentioned for 1611. Is there a way to connect my Ipod Touch to the 1611 as well? Do I need any additional equipment (like an Ipod dock) to connect it to the 1611?

(c) I asked the dealer (Vector) whether 1900 is available now at a lower price because the 1911 is in the market. He told me the 1900 is no longer sold - is that right? I honestly do not think the 3D feature in the 11 series is of any use to me, now or into the future. If I can save money by getting a 1900, then I would rather do so and invest this amount in better speakers. Can anyone tell me whether I can still buy a 1900 officially (with warranty) and how much I should expect to pay for it?

(d) We get quite a lot of voltage fluctuations in my house. Is it worthwhile to invest in a Stabiliser for the AVR ? What KVA should the stabiliser be?

(e) This is a new house and we are doing our interiors - a cabinet has been made below the TV for housing the DVD player etc. If I buy an AVR, can I put it in this cabinet that is enclosed on all sides (except the front)? I am getting the impression that AVRs generate heat and need lots of ventilation - is that correct?

If you are looking to spend like 45K on AVR, checking out Onkyo SR608 would be a good idea. It is THX certified and a host of connectivity options plus upscaling. Also checking out on Q-Acoustics speakers would be good. I found them good but I had already bought polk tSI 200 by that time.

Since music is your priority and you are not interested in surround sound, why don't you go for a 2-channel amp from the likes of NAD, CA, etc?

With your requirements, an AVR is not justified.

Cheers

Very difficult choice. in 2002, I purchased a Yamaha rxv550, which I dual-roled in AV+Music role, till about September 2010, when I finally plonked in for the second system (the HK+PSB), and here are my observations:
1. I always thought the music sounded 'loud, noisy, disco'ish, not nice' etc
2. Damn, music sounds really nice in the pure stereo mode
3. if the AVR provides wholesome entertainment for the family, then AVR is the first purchase.
4. be on the look for a good stereo amp on sale on the Forum- it could take you a while, (for the new budget and the good sale') but you will do family and self a favour.

5. Some expensive AVR amps- play pure, direct analog stereo.... I think it was one by Cambridge Audio... that would solve your problem.... but hunt on the Forum, or triple your budget.

Wish you well, and hope your search ends faster then my 9 years.

KD

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back