Denon AVR - No Audio/Video from laptop HDMI

njaustin123

Hi All,

I have couple of Blu Ray discs and an external BD drive for my Toshiba Windows 10 laptop. My AVR is Denon 1611 and my TV is an HDMI ARC enabled LG. I want to play my Blu Rays in the laptop and enjoy the Full HD video in the TV along with HD Master/Dolby True HD audio in my AVR.

When I connect my laptop directly to the TV, it outputs video fine to the TV. But the laptop detects the TV as a stereo device and I think it outputs stereo audio through the HDMI. So ARC from TV just gives stereo audio to the AVR. Seeing this, I tried to connect the laptop to the AVR directly hoping it would process DTS HD MA audio and give the video to the TV. But to my disappointment, even though the laptop audio management shows Denon audio as a 7.1 supported device and shows audio being played with Denon, I hear no audio from the AVR, adding on to my disappointment it doesn't accept Denon as a video switcher and no video goes to the TV. At that point, you simply disconnect that HDMI from the laptop and connect that end to my Pioneer DVD player, sound comes from the AVR and video goes to TV perfect.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Not sure if it is something with the laptop or with the AVR - coz with Laptop + TV connected with HDMI it works fine except the audio is stereo and with the Pioneer + AVR audio and video are good. But with Laptop to AVR + AVR to TV with HDMI cables, no audio though laptop shows it as being played in Denon and no video, the laptop simply says no external displays connected.

Any help?

It should be something with the display properties settings in your operating system. Go to Display settings enable multiple display options in them if you are using windows OS.

Last edited:
It should be something with the display properties settings in your operating system. Go to Display settings enable multiple display options in them if you are using windows OS.

Windows 10 just shows one display which is the primary laptop display. Doing "detect" doesn't work either.

Windows 10 just shows one display which is the primary laptop display. Doing "detect" doesn't work either.

okay do one thing. If you have a vga outputin your laptop. then connect the tv via vga output and avr via hdmi out out. So you have connected 2 display outputs. no go and check and detect displays.

Hi All,

I have couple of Blu Ray discs and an external BD drive for my Toshiba Windows 10 laptop. My AVR is Denon 1611 and my TV is an HDMI ARC enabled LG. I want to play my Blu Rays in the laptop and enjoy the Full HD video in the TV along with HD Master/Dolby True HD audio in my AVR.

Any help?
Hi,

Whats the model of your laptop ? also did you try connecting the HDMI to another input on your AVR ? Another test would also be to see if you can play maybe a movie from vlc player or something and check if sound is out put when playing a local movie etc, for that mater even youtube or something.

That will rule out problems from the Bluray player that you are using on your laptop.

okay do one thing. If you have a vga outputin your laptop. then connect the tv via vga output and avr via hdmi out out. So you have connected 2 display outputs. no go and check and detect displays.

My laptop doesnt have VGA out. :(

Hi,

Whats the model of your laptop ? also did you try connecting the HDMI to another input on your AVR ? Another test would also be to see if you can play maybe a movie from vlc player or something and check if sound is out put when playing a local movie etc, for that mater even youtube or something.

That will rule out problems from the Bluray player that you are using on your laptop.

It is Toshiba Click 2 Pro, a hybrid laptop. I will try connecting to another HDMI in of the AVR, but not really hopeful on that.I had already tried some local music, in Windows Media Player which wasn't working either. And it surely isn't the Blu Ray drive - because it plays just fine with audio in the laptop and also when connected to TV (though with stereo only audio).

It is Toshiba Click 2 Pro, a hybrid laptop. I will try connecting to another HDMI in of the AVR, but not really hopeful on that.I had already tried some local music, in Windows Media Player which wasn't working either. And it surely isn't the Blu Ray drive - because it plays just fine with audio in the laptop and also when connected to TV (though with stereo only audio).

I have come across few posts where some devices are capable of only 2.0 output over HDMI.. Your laptop could be one of them..

Try a different media player.. Kodi.. Once you install it and connect your laptop to AVR via HDMI, get into audio/video settings (kodi) and try doing the following..

600px-Estuary_settings_system_audio_full.png

If you have connected your laptop -> AVR, then the AVR name will show up in "Audio output device".. Select WASAPI " Your AVR Brand"..

If you scroll down, you have options to enable passthrough.. Just enable them..See what if the audio info on your AVR display..

Last edited:
I have come across few posts where some devices are capable of only 20 output over HDMI.. Your laptop could be one of them..

Try a different media player.. Kodi.. Once you install it and connect your laptop to AVR via HDMI, get into audio/video settings (kodi) and try doing the following..

600px-Estuary_settings_system_audio_full.png

If you have connected your laptop -> AVR, then the AVR name will show up in "Audio output device".. Select WASAPI " Your AVR Brand"..

If you scroll down, you have options to enable passthrough.. Just enable them..See what if the audio info on your AVR display..

Thanks. Will try Kodi.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back