Denon AVR1312 HDMI video signal flickering problems

sushant

When I try to connect my laptop to the TV screen via amp the tv screen flickers very frequently.

I have a Denon AVR1312 amp (yr.2012), Macbook 13-inch Aluminum (yr.2008) and Panasonic Plasma 42" (yr.2011). I am also using a mini-display port to hdmi convertor and 10 mtr average quality HDMI cable.

I have tried a lot of combinations:
1. Laptop -> mini display port convertor --> HDMI cable 1 mtr --> amp --> TV :works fine :)
2. Laptop -> mini display port convertor --> HDMI cable 10 mtrs --> TV :works fine :)
3. Laptop -> mini display port convertor --> HDMI cable 10 mtrs --> amp --> TV : does not work :mad:

I have tried connecting the 10 mtrs hdmi cable at different ports in amp but the result is similar screen flickering.
I have also tried checking the cable by using different source like a pioneer dvd player which has a direct hdmi out to the amp and it works just fine.
I have connected the amp and tv with 2mtr good quality HDMI cable

I had the same screen flicker problems with the Denon AVR1312, Motorola DCX-3400, and Samsung Blu-ray player; both cable box and Blu-ray worked fine directly connected to the TV (LG 47"), but screen flickering would ensue with any combination connected through the Denon AVR1312 unit, worse in SD than HD too. I tried a repeater, tried different connecting cables (between AVR and input devices), but nothing helped. I tried the firmware reset on the AVR. I tried the power-up sequence thing too; nothing changed.

The one common denominator in all of these combinations was the 20' HDMI cable that was installed in the walls/ceiling. It worked fine by itself, but not when connected to the AVR. I even purchased ferrite clamp filters and tried them on the in-wall cable - still no dice.

So I started researching HDMI cable manufacturers, and found a company called Blue Jeans Cable. I learned a lot just reading their tech articles, so I took the plunge and purchased one of their "expensive" 20' Series 1 cables (about $70). I first tried it laying on the floor; no screen flicker. So I spent an hour pulling it through the walls/ceiling using my old cable as the lead, and then plugged everything back in with crossed fingers...

Presto! No more screen flickering, no more handshaking problems, everything simply works now, regardless of what powers up first. I'm a newbie to the HD world, and I'm not here to advertise for Blue Jeans, but wanted to tell anyone who's been having this kind of problem; HDMI cable quality matters! Even if the cable works by itself (as mine did), it can still be a problem when used in conjunction with other devices/cables. After 4 long weeks of debug and buying/trying a multitude of "cheap" solutions, turns out it was simply the in-wall cable all along.

Hope this helps someone somewhere down the line...

Yes, even though its not required to buy exorbitantly expensive HDMI cable thinking it will result in much better video quality, it is important to buy a cable that is sturdy especially the in wall or under carpet applications. Because you would not want to keep changing the cable layed in wall or under the carpets, so dont fall for very cheap cables and same time dont have to buy a 200$ per meter cable.

Looking at your combination #1 (which works), it's pretty obvious that the 10m cable is your culprit..isn't it?

some hdmi cables arent properly insulated. I saw this issue with one of the cables i had. whenever it came close to any power cable, flicker started. try different cables and see what works for you.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back