Denon AVR1509 + ProFX Fusion 5 Series

electroboye

Hi audiophiles,

My name is Raja Ramachandran, and this is my very first post on this forum.
I am in bangalore so I had the chance of visiting Time AV exhibition last week 31stJan, which was quite impressive, I am a music enthusiast, but still a growing kid exploring HT techno gizmos.

I currently have Sony Home theatre system 5.1 channel, which gave best of its capabilities for over 3 years now.I had no idea to buy any HT system, however I cannot miss such a show that happens so close by, so I decided to go.........I was happy with the products displayed, I auditioned various high end amp/recievers and speaker combos which was fantastic.

I auditioned, Chord, Sonodyne, Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha and Marantz.....Later the whole show changed my plan and I was so much influenced to buy one.

After several auditions on every product, I was able to zero down on Denon AVR1509 (RS25K)+ ProFX Fusion 5 series speakers(RS40K), the offered combo for RS37K due to exhibition sale...they claim its original price is RS65K(Unsure !)

I felt RS37K is itself too much to buy a product at spot without prior planning, so I though buying >37K would not be a good idea....perhaps later, but could not help myself coming out with freehand, so I purchased that combo :)

I was happy that I am going for a well professional brand, but I have not heard of ProFX Fusion5.....I read some old article on this forum where they had mentioned that this particular combo(receiver was Denon AVR1708 + ProFX Fusion5.) I guess is not worth, fortunately or unfortunately I read after my purchase which I cannot do anything about :-(, but this time the combo was with different receiver Denon AVR1509, 2009 model including HDMI capabilities (not HDMI switching though)

Boiling down to the whole story, as a result I am very happy that I am in to phase 2, having upgraded my present Sony HT system it to well reputed Denon set.Sony was my best pal all these years:), I hope my new Denon too would enjoy his stint with me :)

I wrote this article to share my experience with you all HT experts out there..
Please feel free to share your review.......Would be eagerly looking out what you people come out with :)

Hi,

I had audition of same in Mumbai exhi,sound & performance with mov is abt
80%.They didnt play music.The treble is little sharp.I heard earlier version
too.Same performance.If you remember very 1st combo introduced by Profx,with kevlar woofers,It was the best around 90%.

So if you get good deal,its ok upto 80% & buy only if you like it.

hey mate,

thanks for your sugesstion, but I already bought and today only I got it installed.......Tried with few collections I have, I enjoyed good power output,
though bass wat little over, however got it fixed, now i get a good mix of treble and bass........

My planning to buy BlueMan band 5.1 DVD audio, could anybody sugesst me anyother 5.1 audio track which would be really good on HT, I listen to all kinda musics :)

Thanks!

My planning to buy BlueMan band 5.1 DVD audio, could anybody sugesst me anyother 5.1 audio track which would be really good on HT, I listen to all kinda musics :)

Thanks!

Get Eagles - Hell Freezer Over in 5.1 DTS. One of the few albums I enjoyed in 5.1. Otherwise music pretty much sucks on a 5.1 HT system, even a decent stereo setup will beat it.

Raja:

Though you say you listen to all kinds of music, I am not sure if it includes western classical. If it does, there are some excellent DVDs available in Landmark from companies such as Gramaphone. Most of these are filmed in high definition and 5.0 Dolby, DTS, or coded in both. They are not 5.1.

I have the Viener Philharmoniker's new year concerts conducted by Zubin Mehta and Seiji Ozawa. They are both superb for listening in a surround sound system. There are concerts by Herbet Von Karajan, Andre Previn and a host of other great conductors. If you like a particular composer such as Beethoven or Tchaikovsky, I am sure you can find an album.

A warning though. Don't buy these unless you understand and/or appreciate western classical music.

Cheers

@ moserW--thanks mate for sharing your interest, eagles is in my list

@Venkat---I am not a core listener of Western classical but I listen to them sometimes in "Maestro" world space channel.I do have symphony collections of Beethoven.Thanks for your warning!.........I do not know if you know an artist by the name "Era", do give them a try, their music type is gregorian chant (Music similar to the one when WWF wrestler undertaker comes, You remember?), it sounds pretty amazing in HT..You can get if from Odyessey or landmark in blore or could order it from "Cduniverse.com"

cheers:)
Raja Ramachandran

Taja:

When you are shopping, look for two albums One is Vettaiyadu Vilayadu and the other is Dhoom 2. Both are available as DVD Audio in Dolby Digital/DTS format.

Cheers

One more thing you can try is "DTS 5.1 upmix" music. Just Google it and you will find lots of hits. Do note that this is stereo upmixed to 5.1 and not "true" 5.1 per se.

@ moserW--thanks mate for sharing your interest, eagles is in my list

@Venkat---I am not a core listener of Western classical but I listen to them sometimes in "Maestro" world space channel.I do have symphony collections of Beethoven.Thanks for your warning!.........I do not know if you know an artist by the name "Era", do give them a try, their music type is gregorian chant (Music similar to the one when WWF wrestler undertaker comes, You remember?), it sounds pretty amazing in HT..You can get if from Odyessey or landmark in blore or could order it from "Cduniverse.com"

cheers:)
Raja Ramachandran

hi,Raja GREAT to see someone mentioning ERA!!! the track MASS is my all time favourite , it really is one GREAT TRACK which can be played again and again------------as for your system Profx +denon combo dont worry enjoy it for some time and later on upgrade to a better speaker package

hi all,

@subash---I am equally great to meet you that you too like Era, I have 2 collections of ERA, both I purchased from CDuniverse.com.

@Venkat -I also got vetaiyadu vellaiyadu and Minnale (Wat a songs man).These are 5.1 surround sound, but my denon amp did not say dolby digital, so I had to keep it to ProII, even my surround speakers were not effectively reproducing I suspect these DVD's ain't actuall 5.1 track DVD's,they could have been upmixed to 5.1.Anyways, I am planning to get some english 5.1 tracks to check how my system responds to it.......

@Moserw-I did not get Eagles 5.1 DVD in Landmark and Music world here in bangalore, they just have CD's.I would place online order..............

Guys again I thank you all for sharing your favourite tracks

@Venkat -I also got vetaiyadu vellaiyadu and Minnale (Wat a songs man).These are 5.1 surround sound, but my denon amp did not say dolby digital, so I had to keep it to ProII, even my surround speakers were not effectively reproducing I suspect these DVD's ain't actuall 5.1 track DVD's,they could have been upmixed to 5.1.Anyways, I am planning to get some english 5.1 tracks to check how my system responds to it.......

Check that your DVD Player is set to send data in Raw or Bitstream format. Only then will the AVR recognise the signal coming in. Many DVD Players come set for PCM as default.

Cheers

Back