Denon AVRX1400H vs Marantz NR 1607/1608

Its not 5009 , its nr1608 , you are very much disturbed and you stick everytime that you understand and told repeatedly, this is audiohile stand, ???? First audition man , then comment, i know you stick with with what you are told repeatedly even after you audition. I would like to told One thing i am very happy with my setup of 1608 and boston floor stand and center, and also i am happy owner of a stereo setup of Arcam integrated amp (fmj a32) and dynaudio speakers ...

Its not 5009 , its nr1608 , you are very much disturbed and you stick everytime that you understand and told repeatedly, this is audiohile stand, ???? First audition man , then comment, i know you stick with with what you are told repeatedly even after you audition. I would like to told One thing i am very happy with my setup of 1608 and boston floor stand and center, and also i am happy owner of a stereo setup of Arcam integrated amp (fmj a32) and dynaudio speakers ...
i have auditioned the NR series & then settled for the denon x3300, which i feel again is not truly 105w per channel when all channels are used but in stereo mode only. I m sure you will be happy with the NR series as double the watts will only be a 3-4 db increase in volume, its the signature thats important, i m not saying your avr is shit, i m just saying don't fall for their marketing ploy. Now Peace & i m out.

i have auditioned the NR series & then settled for the denon x3300, which i feel again is not truly 105w per channel when all channels are used but in stereo mode only. I m sure you will be happy with the NR series as double the watts will only be a 3-4 db increase in volume, its the signature thats important, i m not saying your avr is shit, i m just saying don't fall for their marketing ploy. Now Peace & i m out.
Yes, we cannot compare denon 3300,4400 or SR series of Marantz with NR 1608, i am sure that they are powerful and very good receivers than NR1608, but here i tried to told that 1608 is better in power and sound quality than denon 1400.

NR series and SR series are very different in terms of power output and even the sound signature......although both are Marantz.....there is a difference in the components used. I didnt have the budget earlier to go for a SR series and hence kept toggling between NR series models.....

Now i have SR series at my place and even managed to park another SR series at my moms place.....so i dont feel lost in quality of sound and performance.......

i brought a Denon X1200 and threw it back within 7 days......the NR1606 did better justice,,,,

:eek:

the real power of Denon starts from 3300/3400 :)...

Here are some all channel driven test from soundandvision.. I believe, these are the only guys who have been providing all numbers in addition to audioholics..

Denon x 3400 power ratings - https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x3400h-av-receiver-review-test-bench

2 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads: 123.0 watts

5 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads : 97.6 watts

7 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads : 72.7 watts

Denon x 1200 power ratings - https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x1200w-av-receiver-review-test-bench

2 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads 112.8 watts

5 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads 69.9 watts

7 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads 47.4 watts

From the above numbers even if the x1200 delivers slightly lesser numbers than x 3400, it is equally good as Denon 3400 w.r.t power ratings..

Couldn't get a review link for NR series.. But as said by other FM, the power ratings would drop for all channels driven..
So for the Nr1609 with all channels used will drop by 30%

When i say threw it back....meant returned it! ;)

While there are stats which support and quantify power ratings and its effective delivery across all frequencies....i rely on my ears which are experienced through the years across various home and professional systems....so efficient speakers, well connected sources, quality of sources..all these also add to the optimal output of the amp or avr.....its all about settings (manual) over audyssey (when required).

At the end of the day, we all rely on our ears and see whats good enough for our homes or theatre rooms to provide the best envelope HT experience and music playback.....

Bottomline, Audition is important with your content......as long as it fits your requirements, appearance, budget, and overall performance....what more can you ask for! ;)

Can't remember where I read this but the writer said it would be pointless giving AVR specs at rating for all channels driven since it probably never happens. Thus a 2 channel rating makes more sense. So a 50 wpc rated receiver should be good enough to drive small bookshelf speakers in a small to mid sized room.
So, I think, power would drop but maybe not by very much.

Yes.....one of our own FMs used Dali Z7 on his NR1606 effectively for quite sometime and was happy with it till he upgraded to SR series.

Yes it does and helps in decision making for the buyer.......i dont need further proof of a Marantz performance as i am already a user.

Its nice of you to extend your kindness to invite those who would like to audition the NR series with tower speakers......

When i say threw it back....meant returned it! ;)
Got it..

While there are stats which support and quantify power ratings and its effective delivery across all frequencies....i rely on my ears which are experienced through the years across various home and professional systems....so efficient speakers, well connected sources, quality of sources..all these also add to the optimal output of the amp or avr.....

Right.. Ears are best judge.. But we shouldn't overlook the power measurements..

its all about settings (manual) over audyssey (when required).

You can always toggle the Audyssey functions on AVR.. Denon x 1200 has Multi EQ XT, which itself is a higher version than Maranz NR 1606 Multi EQ..

Can't remember where I read this but the writer said it would be pointless giving AVR specs at rating for all channels driven since it probably never happens. Thus a 2 channel rating makes more sense. So a 50 wpc rated receiver should be good enough to drive small bookshelf speakers in a small to mid sized room.
So, I think, power would drop but maybe not by very much

Right.. But just between the NR 1606 & Denon 1200, Denon has the edge w.r.t measured power output..

Guys if you are coming to Chennai or already in Chennai call me at 9840903853 I will audition you with tower packages to avoid further confusions.

Sure @Praveensk ..Will drop in one day..

Here are some all channel driven test from soundandvision.. I believe, these are the only guys who have been providing all numbers in addition to audioholics..

Denon x 3400 power ratings - https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x3400h-av-receiver-review-test-bench

2 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads: 123.0 watts

5 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads : 97.6 watts

7 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads : 72.7 watts

Denon x 1200 power ratings - https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x1200w-av-receiver-review-test-bench

2 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads 112.8 watts

5 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads 69.9 watts

7 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads 47.4 watts

From the above numbers even if the x1200 delivers slightly lesser numbers than x 3400, it is equally good as Denon 3400 w.r.t power ratings..

Couldn't get a review link for NR series.. But as said by other FM, the power ratings would drop for all channels driven..
Hey Elangoas, long time hope you doing good, you are wrong, the NR series will put out pure 50watts @ 8 ohms on all channels cause its an NR series hahaha..

Last edited:
Hi..I have a pioneer 1020K for the past 8 years and it works well even now. I have no real reason to upgrade except I am itching to hear Atmos ( I am assuming couple of Pioneer BS22 fixed on my ceiling should do the trick). I have an old blu ray player which I am sure wont play 4K atmos blu ray discs and have no plans to buy another blu ray player - which means I will download atmos movies from torrent sites till our govenment bans them all.

I dont want to spend more than 300 dollars and have lots of folks coming to india next 3 months. Pioneer 932 is 230 dollars and Denon 1400h is 300 dollars. For normal people who drive normal speakers - would the 70 extra dollars in Denon bring me any special joy? mostly I use it for tata sky and desktop and all movies on desktop (5.1 sound) are torrent downloads.

while downloading movies may not be the right thing to do..I do have valid netflix and amazon prime accounts and hence just choosing another medium for the same movie which I have the right to watch.

Agree with you ....most of us would be doing the same thing....end of the day we are all normal people who have our 9 to 6 jobs and then family to cater to on a daily basis....there is little time for self and to enjoy the little luxuries of the AV world.

Each of us have different choices and expectations.....some purely rely on their instincts with a little research while the others would rely on pure research and keep hunting for the ultimate system.....what is bliss for me will be poison for the other person.....

While i do understand and support the quest for the ultimate system, the question is when and where do you draw the line in this fast paced world which has limited time?

I dont want to spend more than 300 dollars and have lots of folks coming to india next 3 months. Pioneer 932 is 230 dollars and Denon 1400h is 300 dollars.

Hmmmmm... A 5.1.2 AVR for US $230:eek:..Can't beat those prices.. Anyways, you can get one of those models (or) for a lil more you may get a 220V unit if you take OLX route.. Step-down transformer would be additional cost..

would the 70 extra dollars in Denon bring me any special joy?

Yes..I would buy the Denon x 1400 if i were you, because of Audyssey Multi EQ XT calibration.. You can try it, if you don't like them you can always turn off the function in AVR..

I see that you are spreading wrong information on products. As I said it is said by Marantz not by me. And 1.5L Receiver did you personally measure the watts? How sure are you it produces what they put on papers? I don't want to put you down it is not correct to comment without doing auditions mate. I have Marantz NR1608, Denon X1400 and Pioneer LX302 which I personally use them in different rooms. I have done a side by side comparison on them. So please audition and then provide your valuable comments.
Hi Praveen good to know, can you please help how does pioneer LX302 sounds comparing to your other Denon x1400 & Marantz NR10608?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back