DENON DCD-500 or DVD 1940

mungeri

Hi Folks

I just bought Denon PMA-700AE; Planning to buy a budget HIFI CD player ; looked at DENON DCD-500AE and Marantz 5001try level) (both en.

Also came across Denon DVD 1940 which has almost same specs as a CD player and also plays SACD.

Need advice which one to go for..................... Would a DVD with multiple options be able to produce the same sound as a dedicated CD player?

Cheers :)

Hi Mungeri,
The dedicated cdp will be better. I would prefer a marantz over a denon anytime for a cdp. See if u can get a decent price on the 6002 which is a good cdp or if possible to stretch buy the SA 7001(grey mkt price 30K) and u wont need an upgrade for ages. The only reason u would buy the denon cdp is a cosmetic match to ur denon amp. If u must have a dvd try the oppo players. They come with good audio reproduction and i believe are available in chennai for a fair price.
Regards

Hi Dinyaar

I checked out Marantz 5001 CDP prices; Have not heard it yet; Price is 14K (with Bill/ 3 year Warranty) not much different from Dubai (1000 Dhirams + No warranty) and too (Singapore 399$ + NO warranty)

7001 would be out of budget for me;

Wud u hv idea if 5001 is available in gray market and if yes at what price?

Not much diff ; makes no sense to buy from GM; one question - : I have seen only one dealer offering 3 yrs warranty else everyone gives 1 year?? Any comments on type of warranty I should be getting for this CDP.

Hi mungeri,
Fair enough. A friend bought a 5001 OSE from mumbai @ 15K (grey) last nov. My guess is it will be cheaper if not the same.
Regards

Dinyar,

why do u feel that Marantz is better than Denon? ive been considering upgrading my CDP recently and was thinking of Marantz 7001, Denon DCD-1500 and CA740C. I was given the impression that the Denon was the bet of the lot.

regards

Hi,
Yes i would prefer a marantz cdp over a CA or a Denon.(Have not heard the denon u mention) Had the Sa 7001 at my place on demo and i thoroughly enjoyed the sound and at 35K i think its a tough one to beat.There are better cdps but at 2X the price.

....i would prefer a marantz cdp over a CA or a Denon.(Have not heard the denon u mention) Had the Sa 7001 at my place on demo and i thoroughly enjoyed the sound and at 35K i think its a tough one to beat.There are better cdps but at 2X the price.

Couldn't agree with you more Dinyaar! SA7001 is indeed a fine machine. Btw, I did hear the Denon 500AE-it sounded a little bassheavy and on the warmer side but tends towards a more softer delivery if i remember correctly-imho its no match for the 7001. I would say if you insist on the Denon players, you might want to look at the 1500AE.

Best Regards.

Hi All,

Slightly off-topic. My Denon DCD 590 CD Player has conked off. Is there any good, reliable place in Bangalore where i can get it repaired? I live in Ramamurthy Nagar area and work in the Airport Road area.

I did visit a technician. He said its not the lens that's gone. He mentioned some chip i don't remember.

I love my CD Player. :(

-- XandY

hi
i have the denon dcd700ae as source with with the denon integrated pma2000 ae.
the denon cd player is robust , smooth,detailed , unfussy and made in japan.
stay with it . it will cost u a hell lot more for a cost effective upgrade.(notwithstanding the marantzs, nads and arcams who are definately lacking in build quality without any appreciable improvement in sound.)

Hi,

so which CD player did you finally buy?
I remember reading 2 reviews on DENON 700 AE series (both AMP and CDP)
- What HI/FI gave very low ratings to both CDP and AMP
- AV MAX gave very high ratings to both CDP and AMP

Man! how is that possible...to opposite reviews for the same product.

Lets hear it from the horses mouth: -- how do you find the Denon Amp? Have you compared it to Marantz or Cambridge?

Which CD player did you finally buy? How well is it matching with the Denon amp?

What you say will help me a lot since I am in the considering the same products (Denon, Marantz, Cambridge) for my new system - only 1 thing is decided for me i.e. my speaker are Diamond 9.1s and that is not going to change.:)

Hi All,

Slightly off-topic. My Denon DCD 590 CD Player has conked off. Is there any good, reliable place in Bangalore where i can get it repaired? I live in Ramamurthy Nagar area and work in the Airport Road area.

I did visit a technician. He said its not the lens that's gone. He mentioned some chip i don't remember.

I love my CD Player. :(

-- XandY

Check profx Bangalore for Denon service.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back