Denon DP-37F

kartick

Hi Everyone,

I had managed to dig out a mint condition Denon DP-37f a couple of months ago. I have been using it with an Audio Techinca cartridge and it performs super smooth. The turntable has the voltage shifting options for 120/220/240 Volts.

To my disappointment, the turntable just did not power on this Monday. I have checked the wire and have connected it in various sockets as well. I read on a lot of forums and found out how it could be a possible blown fuse which is causing the problem. I opened up the TT and did not find any fuses inside. I took it to an electronics repairer and he checked whether current was getting inside the TT. The power cord is transferring the current but there is no supply on the main board of the table ahead of the transformer. He checked with the meter and concluded by saying that the 220V voltage has a problem and that the primary coil of the transformer has gone bad. He has asked me to get it rewound and post that it should work fine.

On consulting another electronics guy, he told me that by getting the transformer rewound, it could have an impact on the main board of the TT.

My call is to all the knowledgeable folks on this forum to guide me as to how should I go about getting my TT fixed. Is ther a possibility of me sourcing the same transformer from anywhere or is it safe enough to get the existing one rewound ? Once i get this rewound, the possibility of using the TT at 120/240V goes down the drain, not that it matters but still.

Please advise.

Hi karthick,

One option would be to check if the 110v primary is good, then get a 220/110 V converter (approx Rs.150-200/-) and use it with 110V setting in TT,

alternatively,

If the above option does not work out, see the DC voltage of the motor, get a DC power supply(Eliminator) of the desired voltage and connect it directly to the board.

Either way it may not be a tough job.

Hope this helps,

N.Murali

Thanks for a prompt revert Murali. The problem right now is that the repair guy had taken out the transformer and has given it to me to get it rewound.

I am in a dilemma whether to take that step or not ? Would it be wise to get that done?

If not then should i get it fixed inside and try out the 110-220 V conversion and see if it works ?

You've not mentioned the secondary voltage rating of the transformer. Looks like you have a burnt primary. Not a bad idea to rewind provided you're sure that its being done by someone with the proper skills to do it.

Yeah turned out that the primary input coil had gone kaput. Got it rewound now and it is working again like a charm. Thanks to Murali and Reuben for the inputs.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back