Denon vs Marantz

Recently I have shifted from Denon AVR 2113 to Marantz NR1608. In my experience Marantz is more detail and clear in high frequencies with vocals little forward and bold. Low end is soft and polite ,where as Denon was tight and agile in low end with ok vocals and some what less detail . Marantz presents micro dynamics better than Denon. I always blame my BA A360 for details and laid back sound but after Marantz there is huge improvement in sound quality. Marantz is musical and relaxed ( more suited for music) where as Denon is aggressive and attacking ( more suited for movies). Now I am using Marantz as pre amplifier and Denon as power amplifier for front speakers and combo works great for movies as well as music. I have compared 2013 Denon model with 2018 Marantz model. Now current Denon may compete better with Marantz. Both are great in their own regards, owner will never regret for either purchase.
I can very well assure you that the 4500 is very detailed and clear in high frequencies. Trust me you will be blown away with the 4500 performance. It blew the 7010 in performance and easily the best avr in its price range

Looks like there are more denon happy FM.....ha ha..
Personally, i am neutral and i am okay with the sound signature of both....

I had Marantz PM5004 stereo integrated amp earlier. While I enjoyed it thoroughly but I sold it after I bought Denon AVR 2400. I know this is not a fair comparison but I felt Denon (even if it is a receiver) much better in music as well. Vocals are clear and music is exciting. Yes, I also felt that post Audessy calibration a little boost was required in subwoofer settings but overall I am more happy with Denon. I felt midrange was good in Marantz but high end sparkle and low end extension were missed. Denon seems to be more balanced to my taste. Not sure if it was due to entry level Marantz Amp but based on several feedbacks of people here, Marantz should have been better in Music than Denon Receiver even if entry level. For movies, I think Denon is absolute winner.

Was torn between denon 3500 and marantz 5014 from last couple of months, finally took a call and went ahead with denon 3500, couldn't be more happy with its performance! Don't know how marantz would have sounded, but m completely blown away by denon! Love how dynamic it sounds! Would like to thank all the fms for their suggestions and experiences which made me make a decision without auditioning ( reason being i live in a small town so can't take demos). Love this forum, which has helped me in building in my dream dedicated home theater.

Play any action scene in both to find out which one is better. Marantz though excels via its HDAM circuitry by giving clear vocals and details in midrange, denon excels in chest slam punch. Marantz has better musical signature. Though we Indians miss out on lots of other amps like in Europe n US, we get only 4 brands to toy with. Now slowly down the line most brands are owned by sound united, the difference between their sounds shall reduce as AVR. With atmos channels increase in US , many are either going for high end avr or better still processor +amp combo. For us we have to also see , while buying, factors like dealer and our flat /house size and budget before we get either of them. Do remember sound also depends on speaker and it’s sensitivity and power it needs and how well it adjusts to ur den (read acoustics) . So before u decide at dealers demo room via their high def sound track (which I did ) , do listen in a friends house a regular movie or song and then go for what ur ears say.

Play any action scene in both to find out which one is better. Marantz though excels via its HDAM circuitry by giving clear vocals and details in midrange, denon excels in chest slam punch. Marantz has better musical signature. Though we Indians miss out on lots of other amps like in Europe n US, we get only 4 brands to toy with. Now slowly down the line most brands are owned by sound united, the difference between their sounds shall reduce as AVR. With atmos channels increase in US , many are either going for high end avr or better still processor +amp combo. For us we have to also see , while buying, factors like dealer and our flat /house size and budget before we get either of them. Do remember sound also depends on speaker and it’s sensitivity and power it needs and how well it adjusts to ur den (read acoustics) . So before u decide at dealers demo room via their high def sound track (which I did ) , do listen in a friends house a regular movie or song and then go for what ur ears say.
I played a lot of action scenes. John wick, dead pool few demo clips. All were blu ray contents and atmos, dts-x tracks. Denon blew the 7010. The gun shots in John wick were felt in the chest in Denon but in Marantz it was soft. Vocal also was very clear. Music i listened in pure direct. Marantz was soft and the Denon was bold and punchy. For my taste both music and movies was better in the Denon 4500 and IMO it blew the 7010

I played a lot of action scenes. John wick, dead pool few demo clips. All were blu ray contents and atmos, dts-x tracks. Denon blew the 7010. The gun shots in John wick were felt in the chest in Denon but in Marantz it was soft. Vocal also was very clear. Music i listened in pure direct. Marantz was soft and the Denon was bold and punchy. For my taste both music and movies was better in the Denon 4500 and IMO it blew the 7010

Actually Love4sound , it is the softness of the higher frequencies in Marantz that appeals to some for music which Marantz rolls off very well. We had the the Pioneer SA 740, Kenwood KA 5050 & after hearing Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon at showrooms & found all these with varying levels of brightness for my tastes. But it was this Marantz's warm & soft quality which instantly appealed to me a lot for music. But yes tastes do differ from person to person.
For movies I agree that it may not be aggressive as Denon or Yamaha but it does a very decent job. Maybe my ears are more sensitive to the higher frequencies. I would also loved to try the Nad which is known to be warm, Cambridge Audio, Arcam & Anthem but are beyond my budget.

Last edited:
Actually Love4sound , it is the softness of the higher frequencies in Marantz that appeals to some for music which Marantz rolls off very well. We had the the Pioneer SA 740, Kenwood KA 5050 & after hearing Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon at showrooms & found all these with varying levels of brightness for my tastes. But it was this Marantz's warm & soft quality which instantly appealed to me a lot for music. But yes tastes do differ from person to person.
For movies I agree that it may not be aggressive as Denon or Yamaha but it does a very decent job. Maybe my ears are more sensitive to the higher frequencies. I would also loved to try the Nad which is known to be warm, Cambridge Audio, Arcam & Anthem but are beyond my budget.
The Denon 4500 is very soft, subtle and warm where it needs to be and very bold and dynamic when it is required. I am sure you need such characteristics for the best movie experience. 99% usage of an Avr is for movies and the sole purpose of an avr is for movies. I’ll soon try to get the latest xx013 series for a fair fight. And even for music Denon was awesome. I never liked listening to music and never a stereo person. Even in my car while driving I never listen to music. But after Getting 4500 I developed interest in listening to music in pure direct mode. I don’t even use the sub.

The Denon 4500 is very soft, subtle and warm where it needs to be and very bold and dynamic when it is required. I am sure you need such characteristics for the best movie experience. 99% usage of an Avr is for movies and the sole purpose of an avr is for movies. I’ll soon try to get the latest xx013 series for a fair fight. And even for music Denon was awesome. I never liked listening to music and never a stereo person. Even in my car while driving I never listen to music. But after Getting 4500 I developed interest in listening to music in pure direct mode. I don’t even use the sub.

Glad to know that the Denon 4500 has awakened your musical interest :). I am sure it must be a very nice receiver. Maybe after the merger some features & some qualities may be used for both retaining their individual sonic signatures.

For those who have only experienced either one of them, what should be the advice for their next upgrade? Should they go for the other one or stick to same brand?

For those who have only experienced either one of them, what should be the advice for their next upgrade? Should they go for the other one or stick to same brand?

Ideally one should stick to whatever your ears like. Be open to other brands too. No point in being loyal to any brand as they have their interests to cater to.
The sound you like and good after sales service of the product that fits in your budget really matters. I have had 2 Marantz Avr's back to back and like their sound signature among the other usual suspects. But in the future if I have to buy one then I don't mind trying a Peachtree or a Parasound for stereo as per my budget.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back